Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Annual Insurance Policy
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 03:13 PM
Annual Insurance Policy

I just checked with the three copanies that I have called in the past for quotes on my '04 F350 with camp trailer. Values at $22,000 and $5,000.

The insurance quotes did have a few differences but for relatively full coverage these are the approximate quotes;

Lewis and Lewis $318
Bajabound $568
Discover Baja $420

Anyone have better info on why the big differences ?
Who do you use and why ?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 03:23 PM

This has been gone over a lot of times. You need to look at limits of liability, legal coverage, deductible, and then you are comparing apples and oranges. I am an agent in Colorado and last year I looked over all of the policies very carefully and the Lewis and Lewis came out on tops in all of the aforementioned catagories, but you should look at the coverage to make sure. Also, the thing I liked about the policy that is sold through Lewis and Lewis is that there were unlimited legal coverage, which means that they should cover all legal bills incurred with an accident.
What has gone downhill in the last year or so is the customer service and I did not get the feeling that Jim Lewis was paying very close attention to what his help was doing over the telephone. We did send an e-mail and and telephone call and he indicated he would check in to it, but it was definately substandard compared to a few years ago.
Be aware, that none of the three you have listed are actually agents, they are surplus line brokers and only sell these lines available to them through their California License. That means that they are merely selling a product and do not have an agreement like licensed agents for a particular company normally do. If you have problems with the company in Mexico, the surplus lines brokers have limited input with the Mexican Companies they represent.
So look over the coverages carefully, compare each as to the coverage, and hope that you never have to use it.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 03:33 PM

Check with your insurance company stateside and see if they cover you for everything except liability. Then, all you need to get is a "drivers license" policy that will cover you liability-wise for anything that you drive. I am with AAA of So Calif and they cover me all over Mexico for theft, etc, but NOT liability. I purchased my annual drivers license liability policy from lewis and lewis for a little over 100-bucks.
Bob H
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 03:52 PM

As Pescador said, it is important to compare apples to apples. The two companies that Baja Bound sells through have a number of features that go beyond just the liability, theft and physical damage coverage and is therefore more expensive.

Some of these features include:

- Legal aid and bail bond
- Roadside assistance, including towing
- Emergency air evacuation
- Claims settled in U.S. dollars based up on U.S. labor rates - not pesos
- Repairs may be made in the U.S. at your preferred service provider

However, in contrast to what Pescador said, we do work closely with the Mexican companies we represent, and make sure our clients are being taken care of in the event of a claim.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Check with your insurance company stateside and see if they cover you for everything except liability. Then, all you need to get is a "drivers license" policy that will cover you liability-wise for anything that you drive. I am with AAA of So Calif and they cover me all over Mexico for theft, etc, but NOT liability. I purchased my annual drivers license liability policy from lewis and lewis for a little over 100-bucks.
Bob H

That's strange. I checked with AAA this August, and they said they would only cover me down to Ensenada.....not any further south. I have been with AAA for almost 20 years.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
However, in contrast to what Pescador said, we do work closely with the Mexican companies we represent, and make sure our clients are being taken care of in the event of a claim.

Geoff,
A week or so ago I asked this question on the Question & Answer forum....

Do you sell insurance for rental cars rented in Mexico (extra liability?? CDW/LDW???)?....

I realize that CDW is NOT insurance....it is just a waiver.

I have been assured that Hertz seems to be the only rental company that says it will accept credit card insurance coverage (gold /platinum cards) for CDW/LDW, and that its rental agreement includes $35,000 (US) third party liability....the other companies (Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty) all clearly state that they do not accept credit card insurance coverage.

Thanks for any info you can offer to clear this up....
Ged

Don't believe everything you think....
jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 04:30 PM

Which mexican insurance group was offered by lewis and lewis ? I asked for and got the same one as I had last year. Their policy via lewis and lewis was the best I could find but it was slightly more costly which raises the question how come L&L were the lowest ?????
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Bob H

That's strange. I checked with AAA this August, and they said they would only cover me down to Ensenada.....not any further south. I have been with AAA for almost 20 years.

I will call them again this week. The last time I checked was about 2 years ago and they told me not only all of Baja but all of Mexico. Thanks for the response and I will let you know what they tell me this time around.
Bob
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 05:02 PM

Hello Ged,

I had actually responded to your question from the previous post. Our insurance is only for non-Mexican vehicles and therefore could not be used to insure a rental car from Mexico.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Hello Ged,

I had actually responded to your question from the previous post. Our insurance is only for non-Mexican vehicles and therefore could not be used to insure a rental car from Mexico.

Geoff,
Thanks....I asked so many different sources i have lost track...
Ged

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 05:22 AM

I realize that this has been discussed before but I never put it all together to help my situation.
---1) I have inmigrado status and one post said I no longer qualified for tourist insurance. True?
---2) Since I only go to the US (calif) for about three weeks a year I let my US policy laps and that company will not insure me now and the DMV revoked my registration. Which I believe also voids my Mexican policy. Calif. insurance is expensive especially if you want to protect what assets you have from suits. I shopped around and it's about $500 for 6 months. And most wouldn't touch a car garaged in Mexico..... So, how can I get insurance for here and Calif? Since this probably doesn't interest most here you could U2U me or E-mail at russinbaja@mac.com
---- I'll call Lewis & Lewis this week but getting good answers from them now is sometimes very confusing. Thanks

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 09:15 AM

I have heard of American people who live in Mexico (no longer are tourists) using an insurance agent in Rosarito... I bet Keri (Pyramid Resort manager) would know!

You are correct, that most Mexican auto insurance sold by Baja Bound, Lewis & Lewis and Discover Baja is for tourists visiting Mexico, on vacation (FM-T holders). Once you buy or lease property, leave personal property behind if you return to the U.S., etc.... you no longer are a 'tourist', but a part time resident and must have an FM-3 or FM-2 visa, and different insurance for your car.

[Edited on 10-16-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 09:24 AM

Baja Bound does sell "resident use" policies that are for people living in Mexico full-time or part time, and these policies are offered by both of the underwriters we work with.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Baja Bound does sell "resident use" policies that are for people living in Mexico full-time or part time, and these policies are offered by both of the underwriters we work with.

Are the part-time resident polices a lot more expensive than the one year 90-day policies??

Diane

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 10:02 AM

Hello Diane,

It really depends on the vehicle and the coverage you select. However, the resident use policy is for people that will be in Mexico more than six months out of the year.....so it is a totally different product than the 90 day policy. If you would like, U2U me your vehicle info and I can send you a quote.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 01:05 PM

AAA, I checked with the San Clemente,Ca
office just 2 weeks ago, I usually do not
trust what they say, first person I
talked to had the deer in the headlight
look, not good, the second person
told me YES they cover in Mexico, with
your full coverage US policy ,
as we all know, you need the additional
Mex ilbility policy,asked them for some printed info
stating that, I was referered to the original
policy which comes in a folder, she
said it will be printed on the cover of
that folder, what do know, on the
front it states you are covered in
Mexico and Canada, no reference to
milage into Mex, before I purchase the
annual, I'm going to do a double
check the info from a AAA office
in San Diego close to the border,
they may well be more experienced
in Mex
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 04:17 PM

That's good info, Sancho. I happen to be insured by AAA in the states, too.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
AAA, I checked with the San Clemente,Ca
office just 2 weeks ago, I usually do not
trust what they say, first person I
talked to had the deer in the headlight
look, not good, the second person
told me YES they cover in Mexico, with
your full coverage US policy ,
as we all know, you need the additional
Mex ilbility policy,asked them for some printed info
stating that, I was referered to the original
policy which comes in a folder, she
said it will be printed on the cover of
that folder, what do know, on the
front it states you are covered in
Mexico and Canada, no reference to
milage into Mex, before I purchase the
annual, I'm going to do a double
check the info from a AAA office
in San Diego close to the border,
they may well be more experienced
in Mex

Yes, I am in San Diego and they say we are covered in all of Mexico - just not liability.
Bob H
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 08:06 AM

For those of you who live in baja....Banamex (and other banks too) offer very reasonably priced auto insurance that automatically gets renewed and the fees taken out of your bank account annually or monthly whichever you prefer....In order to be sure that the insurance company was reputable, I went to the insurance agent (only 1 in this whole area) in Guerrero Negro and she was able to tell me which companies she deals with most successfully. LUckily the bank's insurance company was one of the best and most reliable so we went with that....it was super easy and the suburban is insured for whoever drives it as long as they have a drivers license!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Banamex (and other banks too) offer very reasonably priced auto insurance .....LUckily the bank's insurance company was one of the best and most reliable so we went with that....

Shari,

What insurance company is that?

Thanks,
Ged

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.