BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: You knew I had to bring it up............
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 01:26 PM

Bus is your Ranger a 4x4? If so have you done any suspension upgrades to it?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 02:02 PM

It is not a 4X4 but I did stiffen up the rear leaf springs with an aftermarket kit since I have full Length roof racks, a big job box with roll out drawer and another job box that spans the bed.
Not much need for 4X4 here in NC for me and I wanted the gas savings. I also opted for the 4 cyl.

79K on it and it runs like a champ. The only thing I ever had to do on it was change out the catalytic converter because it clogged up but that was under warranty.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
just1man

Mood: Courageous

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 02:56 PM

I'm just going to go ahead and put this out there. If you are on a leisurely trip from the top of Baja to the Bottom of Baja I imagine you'll be fine with a FURD. However the ones that I pass on my way to Ocotillo wells (these would be the ones hooked to travel trailers, stuck on hills oozing pink fluid) look like they wished they'd bought the Toyota!

Two words: RESALE VALUE.

When you sell an older Toyota you actually get money back, when selling a older FURD (if your lucky enough to have an older one still running) your lucky to write off the cost when you donate them. Or even better yet, my lawn guy has a super duty landscaping trailer:lol:

There is a reason all of the prerunner kids use Rangers, they can get rid of the FURD parts and install something reliable.

[Edited on 6-30-2008 by just1man]

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by just1manWhen you sell an older Toyota you actually get money back, when selling a older FURD (if your lucky enough to have an older one still running) your lucky to write off the cost when you donate them. Or even better yet, my lawn guy has a super duty landscaping trailer:lol:

There is a reason all of the prerunner kids use Rangers, they can get rid of the FURD parts and install something reliable.

When I listed my FURD, I got multiple inquiries, and I was paid cash money for mine. This is all b.s. - Here in Southern California, if you have a good-looking 4WD anything, it is going to sell.

I now drive a reliable Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, but although my Ford had some technical problems beginning at 130,000 m.i., it was lots of fun in the deserts and mountains (in Baja).

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by just1man
I'm just going to go ahead and put this out there. If you are on a leisurely trip from the top of Baja to the Bottom of Baja I imagine you'll be fine with a FURD. However the ones that I pass on my way to Ocotillo wells (these would be the ones hooked to travel trailers, stuck on hills oozing pink fluid) look like they wished they'd bought the Toyota!

When you sell an older Toyota you actually get money back, when selling a older FURD (if your lucky enough to have an older one still running) your lucky to write off the cost when you donate them. Or even better yet, my lawn guy has a super duty landscaping trailer:lol:

Load your Toyota on the trailer with the other one, there's room...

SuperDutyandToyota.JPG - 47kB

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
just1man

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:

Load your Toyota on the trailer with the other one, there's room...

Classic, Can my wife ride back there with it?

Dwight D. Eisenhower

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just kinda chapped! I owned a 90' ranger and put too many part to list! (that statement sounds way better when your selling a truck not repairing one).

I should have saved the money and took it out in the desert and shot it!

I finally put a new short block it and drove it to the dealer and traded it in before it broke again.

List (just off the top of my head)
1 short block v6
exhaust headers
(3) sets of CV's
Art Carr tranny (after I grenades the stock one)

Not so standard upgrades:
Standard screwdriver to open tailgate
bypassed spedo (ran without but kept getting pulled over)
I'm fairly sure the check eng. light is still on!
Passenger side door, needed to be opened from the outside.
Cab light blinked every time you hit a bump.
All that with no A/C cuz' it broke a few months afterI bought it!

Ford will get my money when they build a new 40' Coupe!

Dwight D. Eisenhower

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 01:26 PM

JEEP, isn't that Spanish for Heap? J/K :lol: the Rubicons are super nice, but I don't make the big bucks so I'll hang on to my Tundra!

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
JEEP, isn't that Spanish for Heap? J/K :lol: the Rubicons are super nice, but I don't make the big bucks so I'll hang on to my Tundra!

Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket.

I've spent close to $40,000.00 on mine so far... :cool:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 02:11 PM

Ken,

After $40k, whats left to do?:o

Ken
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Ken,

Ken

I'd love a long-arm suspension, larger spline-count axles, and 35" tires. This would stretch out the wheelbase a little, and make it ride much more smoothly on the street, and tackle bigger rocks on the trail with more wheel travel. All together, this package would cost me about $7K (regear to 4.88 from 4.10 in Tijuana, of course) plus 35" tires.

just1man

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:24 AM

Wow 45K is big bucks for running over rocks, more (horse)power to ya!

We were out testing my buddies new trophylite yesterday in Paster City, 45K out the door race ready scale version of a trophy truck.

Four cyl. 30" of travel. You guys should check them out. Entry level racer with the intent to have a more competitive racing series, one where you don't get out raced by someones wallet. I'll post some shots up for you to see later.

Check these thing out

www.trophylites.com

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:38 AM

Maybe one day there'll be a computer game that duplicates the off road experience?:yes:A special chair that bounces etc. while the player works the joy stick.:yes:It'll save a lot of gas and keep wild areas wild.:yes:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Ken,

Ken

Double that amount, and look at what you get!! Baja anyone??? :o

Mercedes Benz G-class trip to Cañon Las Arrastras

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:03 PM

Big dollar Baja!

Reisen und Abenteuer in Baja California

Baja California ist ein widersprüchliches Wüsten-Land eingerahmt von einigen tausend Kilometern einsamer Strände. Der Horizont erscheint endlos.
Baja California ist kein einfaches Reiseland - grösser als Italien hat es nur eine einzige verbindende Asphaltstrasse. Wer also seine historischen Schätze und atemberaubenden Naturschönheiten bewundern will, muss sich auf lange Schotterstrecken einrichten. Jedes Abenteuer hat halt seinen Preis.

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 07:01 AM

Toyota really blew it, they just opened their billion dollar factory to make full size trucks and suv's in a down market. I just returned from a 2600 mile motorcycle ride thriugh NV, Utah, Colorado, N Mexico and AZ. All the work trucks ranchers, farmers and const. were Dodge with a few Fords and smaller # of Chevys thrown in, Toyota need not apply. My friend Rick bought a Toyota Tacoma extended cab short bed and put a Four Wheel Camper on it, the #600 camper crushed it and he had to have custom springs made for it. Then with that tiny load it wouldn't keep on the interstate so he had to put a supercharger on it. I'll stick with my Dodge Cummins.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 08:22 AM

It must have been either a 4 cyclinder or an older V6, pre 2005. The 4 liter V6 has more than enough power for a camper. I pull a 5000 lb snowcat with my 07 company Tacoma. As for the springs that's common on most trucks or at least half ton or smaller. I've done an add a leaf on every truck I've owned. I will say that the only truck that I didn't need to was my companies 2001 Dodge 2500. It was also the roughest riding truck I ever drove. It only rode good when I had my 300 gallon water tank in it.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805greggMy friend Rick bought a Toyota Tacoma extended cab short bed and put a Four Wheel Camper on it, the #600 camper crushed it and he had to have custom springs made for it. Then with that tiny load it wouldn't keep on the interstate so he had to put a supercharger on it. I'll stick with my Dodge Cummins.

I see the Tacoma as more of a "Sport Truck." It was never meant for real work. Just camping, and playing around on dirt roads. THey are well built, and reliable, but super expensive. I looked at the Tacoma and 4 Runner while I was in the market for my Rubicon, and for what I had to spend, I went to Jeep instead. I wanted to crawl on rocks and literally see the entire peninsula without any issues - so I went with the Rubicon. If I were in the market today for a Go Anywhere Baja vehicle, it would more than likely be the JK Unlimited Rubicon over the 4 Runner because of the straight axle which is more durable than the CV jointed IFS Toyotas. The FJ Cruiser is a great-looking vehicle, but I hear the clam-shell doors rattle on the dirt roads, and that visibility isn't very good. With the JK you can remove the hard top, and that is so much better than dealing with a hard top you can barely see out of.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
It must have been either a 4 cyclinder or an older V6, pre 2005. The 4 liter V6 has more than enough power for a camper. I pull a 5000 lb snowcat with my 07 company Tacoma. As for the springs that's common on most trucks or at least half ton or smaller. I've done an add a leaf on every truck I've owned. I will say that the only truck that I didn't need to was my companies 2001 Dodge 2500. It was also the roughest riding truck I ever drove. It only rode good when I had my 300 gallon water tank in it.

That's for sure... the 4.0 has over 220 HP stock! My '01 with the 3.4 also had plenty of power... more than I ever needed. But, I only had one trip with a Callen Camper on it... again, no power issues. see http://vivabaja.com/baja15

The '05 rides nice like a car... but for that nice ride, you need to go slow off road or bottoming out will happen... I don't like slow, so the rear suspension was modified at Off Road Warehouse last year... Bilstein 5100s and Ride Rite air springs (air bags) added...Now it's great!!

[Edited on 7-4-2008 by David K]

AirbagTest 004r.JPG - 47kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by 805greggMy friend Rick bought a Toyota Tacoma extended cab short bed and put a Four Wheel Camper on it, the #600 camper crushed it and he had to have custom springs made for it. Then with that tiny load it wouldn't keep on the interstate so he had to put a supercharger on it. I'll stick with my Dodge Cummins.

I see the Tacoma as more of a "Sport Truck." It was never meant for real work. Just camping, and playing around on dirt roads. THey are well built, and reliable, but super expensive. I looked at the Tacoma and 4 Runner while I was in the market for my Rubicon, and for what I had to spend, I went to Jeep instead. I wanted to crawl on rocks and literally see the entire peninsula without any issues - so I went with the Rubicon. If I were in the market today for a Go Anywhere Baja vehicle, it would more than likely be the JK Unlimited Rubicon over the 4 Runner because of the straight axle which is more durable than the CV jointed IFS Toyotas. The FJ Cruiser is a great-looking vehicle, but I hear the clam-shell doors rattle on the dirt roads, and that visibility isn't very good. With the JK you can remove the hard top, and that is so much better than dealing with a hard top you can barely see out of.

The Tacoma is not really a little truck anymore. Starting in 05 they increased the width 4 inches. It's now a mid-size truck like the Dodge Dekota. A double cab (crewcab) with a short bed is almost as long as my GMC Z71 extended cab. The doublecab long bed is as long or longer as my Z71. For climbing over big rocks I think a short wheelbase like your jeeps are better. My 93 Toyota was a really good off-road truck, I thought. There was nowhere I know of that it wouldn't go. Well one place was the Turquesa wash that Roy went down. There was one place around a rock that my longer wheelbase would not have gone. The jeeps could have. The new short bed Toyotas are not good for putting a motorcycle in without dropping the tail gate because of the wheelwell.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.