Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sea turtle hatchling sighted
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 02:18 PM
Sea turtle hatchling sighted

This morning I walked to the beach to do some shore fishing and while I was there I spotted a baby sea turtle hatchling swimming along right at the shoreline. My mind snapped immediately to the odds this lone baby could survive the many perils awaiting him. I know some of the dangers - sea birds, coyotes, crows, all kinds of fish, jellyfish I suppose, sea lions, the list is endless. I scooped him up, took him up to the house to show my wife but she was gone (probably went to the store) so I let my dogs play with it a while (they've never even seen one). Suddenly, out of nowhere the neighbor's cat, Brutus, jumped on it, grabbed it and took off. Well, there's another way. Like I said, the list is endless.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 02:30 PM

Jorge - You are bad!!! ;D:biggrin:

(what happened to the laughing smiley face? I can't find him anywhere on the face choices.)

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
bearbait1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 02:35 PM

Sea turtles are pretty good eating but get real spooky in areas where they are hunted.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 04:25 PM

Lucky cat!:P

This one almost got away from Baja Angel:

[Edited on 10-17-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gnome-ad
Nomad

Mood: Okey-Dokey

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 10:59 AM

David K ~
Is that sea turtle waving "hola" to you?

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Ancis
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 11:45 AM

Osprey, with all the things that want to munch a sea turtle in it's first few days, you probably should have used it as a topwater bait. :spingrin:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 12:13 PM

Well, now, there's another way. Told ya. Endless. Just endless.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 07:14 PM

Well... ha ha ha ... funny story! I am truly outraged! This act was illegal and immoral. Who are any of you to judge if that sea turtle would have survived or not? This act goes against Mexican and U.S. Law and is a crime with serious consequences! Your humor about its fate is shallow and insensitive. Given how hard so many people have worked to protect sea turtles against human caused mortality how can any of you think this is a story worth reporting much less laughing at?

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Geeez ...:fire::fire::fire:

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 07:20 PM

Hook, line and sinker.:lol::lol::lol:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 07:24 PM
fishing

fishing in shallow water ...

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Hook, line and sinker.:lol::lol::lol:
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 08:18 PM

Gringorio, I too dislike that, but what can you do,
Nada... did you know 99% of all living creatures that have existed are now extinct.

READY SET.....................
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
Gringorio, I too dislike that, but what can you do,
Nada... did you know 99% of all living creatures that have existed are now extinct.

You mean since we're so close to 100% why not go all the way? What's one measly percent?

I've been reading osprey's posts long enough, gringorio, to know that he fully agrees with you. That's why his story is funny. I do like your indignation, however.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 09:39 PM

Gringorio and Von,

Osprey's tongue was planted firmly in the side of his cheek while his fingers tapped away at the keys. Unfortunatly readers unfamiliar with Osprey's writing do not know how or when to draw the line between reality and fiction when reading his posts. I too was offended, not because of the content of his post, because I've come to expect the shock value at times, but because of the tempest in my opinion he was attempting to brew.

By not replying when I first read this post I felt guilty as if I were one of those who would sit quietly and wait for someone to come along and snatch up "the bait" so to speak, just so I could call it on you.

Maybe there is room on this board for a "creative writing" area so that people who do care don't fall victim "hook, line and sinker" for "the bait".

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 07:09 AM

yikes! you mean Osprey's whole story was fiction?! Osprey? wow....good one!

:lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Gringorio and Von,

Osprey's tongue was planted firmly in the side of his cheek while his fingers tapped away at the keys. Unfortunatly readers unfamiliar with Osprey's writing do not know how or when to draw the line between reality and fiction when reading his posts. I too was offended, not because of the content of his post, because I've come to expect the shock value at times, but because of the tempest in my opinion he was attempting to brew.

By not replying when I first read this post I felt guilty as if I were one of those who would sit quietly and wait for someone to come along and snatch up "the bait" so to speak, just so I could call it on you.

Maybe there is room on this board for a "creative writing" area so that people who do care don't fall victim "hook, line and sinker" for "the bait".

P<*)))><
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 08:45 AM

I assumed his story was real and (based on his known conservation values) he planned on releasing it back to nature. Unfortunately, another form of nature interceded. But the fickleness of nature was worth the mention.

My reaction, on the other hand, was pure hoke. I expected that it might raise the ire of a few that dont know me and my style.

I would never use a hatchling as bait.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 09:40 AM

George's sense of humor is definitely deceiving. :P:P

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.