Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Logic
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 10:13 AM
Logic

This conversation has been rattling around in my head since I last visited Las Rosas Restaurant and Hotel a couple of weeks back.

I am not sure that I can pull this offering off but if I can I believe that it will be most illustrative of how two cultures that seem to be merging are still light years apart in some very important areas and a lack of understanding can lead to a less than a satisfactory outcome if they are ignored.

Please bear with me as I attempt to set the page and paint a picture of two women interacting in an attempt to put together a mutually wished for charity event.

I was first attracted to this conversation by the well modulated, calm, voice of a small but very attractive Mexican woman. Well dressed, but not over dressed she was apparently a professional lady. I surmised this from the way she carried her self in a quite assured manner and from the American lady constantly referring to her as—“My good Doctor.”

The American lady, dressed very casually, kept insisting that she needed the Mexican ladies who had been invited to some sort of charity event to RSVP so that she could make proper arrangements—we have all been involved in these type activities in the United States and realize what is expected of us when we receive an invitation that calls for an RSVP. Simple, sure—Not!

As it became more and more obvious to the American lady that she was not reaching her goal there was a noticeable change in the tempo and the level of her voice. Her frustration was entirely apparent to every one in the lobby.

Finally the Mexican lady responded, quite calmly—“I don’t quite know how many we are, but you know (imagine ice) how it is with us mexicans, we just do not RSVP anything, if we show up we just do. If there is enough for everyone than that is good, if there is not, we just eat less! But that’s just the way we think. Since this is a gringo thing, let us just say 15 ladies if less show up, then it is more for us—so just don’t get your shorts in a knot!”

To this the American lady threw her hands in the air and replied—“you mean, don’t get your panties in a twist.”

At this point my wife joined me and we left without hearing the end of the conversation.

I know I have been in these seemingly circular conversations on many occasions—but it certainly does not help if neither side is aware of the underlying differences.

Really quite funny in a way but I doubt that it helped the charity event reach a successful conclusion.

Will someone help me as I am unfamiliar with either of the statements relating to lady’s under garments.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 10:22 AM
it's british

"don't get your knickers in a knot":lol:

and btw we've tried on several occasions when we proffered invitations, to get some sense of whether our invitees planned to attend.:?:

as you point out from the doctor's perspective, it just isn't done that way. how can they plan to attend? it all depends. "si diós quiere" is the operative principle.:tumble:

even when we make a return appointment with our dentist as we leave, she always respnds, "si diós quiere.":)

lili
Gnome-ad
Nomad

Mood: Okey-Dokey

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 10:25 AM

Hmmm, in Eugene one of my friends says, "Don't get your knickers in a twist," but she's originally from England. Everyone else I know says, “Don’t get your panties in a bunch,” or another variation, “Don’t get your panties in a wad.”

Don’t know if this is helpful, but just imagine uncomfortable rumples where you don’t want them. :lol:

Too bad the gringa could not just accept that she was not going to get an answer. Many otherwise well-meaning people want other cultures to behave the way they think they should. It’s much more delightful if cultures continue acting the way they do and we learn to understand.

Just wish Mexican plumbing would act the way I think it should. How many times can one replace a faucet and the guts of a toilet in a year???

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Ancis
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnome-adJust wish Mexican plumbing would act the way I think it should.

Amen to that. PVC pipe, an ABS fitting and gobs of silicone do NOT make a proper pipe joint.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
It’s much more delightful if cultures continue acting the way they do and we learn to understand.

Just wish Mexican plumbing would act the way I think it should. How many times can one replace a faucet and the guts of a toilet in a year???

Absolutely! The understanding is the most fun and also so important to a good relationship.

How many days are there in a year?

You do have a severe problem and I suggest that you hire a good electrician--they normally make the best plumbers.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.