Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HughesNet Download Limits
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 06:33 PM
HughesNet Download Limits

I was watching an episode of NCIS and toward the end of the show everything slowed down. -----"Download Threshold is the volume of data that can be downloaded continuously before the Fair Access Policy may restrict the download speed. "---- And it stayed slow until the next morning. The threat is that if I continued to exceed my down load limit they would cancel my service. However, there is no limit between 2am and 5am eastern time.
Anyone else having slow service this may be the cause. There is a page that you can access to see what your usage is.

[Edited on 10-20-2007 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 06:47 PM

Russ.

They would not cancel your service, however, for 24 hours they slow you down to less than dialup speed downloads.

Its called FAP (Fair Access Policy) and I have been hit with it when clients on my system start downloading a ton of music, or a movie, or something that takes a lot of band width.

The unfortunate part is that for 24 hours you are really ssssssllllllllooooooowwwww.

The place to go with Hughes is MyDirecway, Customer Care, and check usage. It will tell you what has happened. However, it is in eastern time and about 1 hours behind the fact.

[Edited on 10-20-2007 by losfrailes]
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 10:18 PM

As an additional note the entire Starband Network is now FAP free for all current and future customers between the hours of 12 Midnight and 6 AM EST.

Go crazy guys and download and up load to your hearts content between those hours.

Starting Nov 15th they will also have new faster plans at very competitive rates with double the FAP allowances of current plans.

$69 for 128 X 1024 with a 2GB per 7day rolling average FAP and $99 for 256 X 1512 with a 5 GB 7 day rolling average FAP

Actually if you factor out the FAP free 6 hours each night it's more like a 5.25 day rolling average

Equipment is $299.99 MSRP plus about $30 - $50 delivered in the states and you can get certified for free and install it yourself.

If you go below about Mulege you will need a 1 meter dish and below about Loretto or Ciudad a 1.2 meter dish.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 04:36 AM

"is now FAP free...":lol:

i hate that FAP-free stuff
susan makes me eat it ALL the time...:lol::lol:

"between the hours of 12 Midnight and 6 AM EST":lol::lol:
you guys on the "otherside" MUST be vampires:lol::lol:

we're in bed at 9PM:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 10:33 AM

LOL...Well Holloween is coming up.

No all kidding aside you can now use automated download software to schedule those biggie downloads in off hours while you sleep peacefully

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
"is now FAP free...":lol:

i hate that FAP-free stuff
susan makes me eat it ALL the time...:lol::lol:

"between the hours of 12 Midnight and 6 AM EST":lol::lol:
you guys on the "otherside" MUST be vampires:lol::lol:

we're in bed at 9PM:lol::lol:

ROFL :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 01:03 PM

This sounds like a dumb question but if I were smarter I wouldn't ask it (ba da boom): When you talk about downloading, are you talking about programs for saving and watching later? Do you have to plug into a phone line to download content to your satellite system? In Mulege, I don't have a phone line. Would I be restricted as to what I could watch with a Hughes Net system or prohibited altogether? If not, would a 1 meter dish be what I would need to bring in real time satellite programming? Or, is satellite TV out of the question without a phone line?

Please say "duh" and then give me the informed answer. :rolleyes:

toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 07:12 PM

I received a U2U with the answers to my questions.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
As an additional note the entire Starband Network is now FAP free for all current and future customers between the hours of 12 Midnight and 6 AM EST.

Go crazy guys and download and up load to your hearts content between those hours.

Very cool. There's something decadent about watching an episode of "the Closer" in the middle of nowhere Baja on solar power and satellite internet.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 05:57 AM

FYI:

Fair Access Policy FAQs

Why are you making these changes?
Hughes is increasing the download threshold and changing the recovery rate system to enable most subscribers to download more and enjoy improved network performance.

HughesNet service usage data indicates that a small percentage of subscribers are responsible for a disproportionate amount of the total HughesNet service traffic. The changes we are implementing support our ongoing goal of delivering fair and equitable access to all HughesNet subscribers.

Who is affected?
Only a small percentage of subscribers will experience reduced download speeds as a result of exceeding the download threshold.

Online activities such as viewing Websites, checking email, watching short streaming media presentations, or automatic software and anti-virus updates are unlikely to exceed the download threshold.

What activities may cause a subscriber to exceed their download threshold?
Some activities are more likely to exceed the download threshold and trigger the application of the Fair Access Policy. Several examples are listed below:

1. Full-length movie downloads
2. Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs such as Napster, Kazaa or LimeWire
3. Continuous downloading or viewing streaming media content such as audio or video programming
4. Hosting of server devices such as email, FTP or Web servers
5. Hosting computer applications such as Web camera feeds
6. Automated computer to computer connections used for archiving of local computer content
7. Extensive downloading of Usenet Newsgroups (NNTP)
8. Use of BitTorrent applications
9. Simultaneous file downloads
10. Downloading large files (i.e., file sizes that are close in size to the download threshold of your service plan)

Excessive downloading or use of the services described above may cause subscribers to be affected by the Fair Access Policy, or in severe cases, to be terminated from the service.

What will my Internet access be like if I exceed the download threshold?
When the download threshold is exceeded, you will experience reduced download speeds for approximately 24 hours. During this recovery period, the HughesNet service can still be used for activities such viewing emails and Web surfing, but speeds will be significantly slower than your normal browsing experience.

If I exceed the new download threshold, what should I do?
Minimize your bandwidth-intensive activities in order to return to normal download speeds after the recovery period. If you continue these activities during the recovery period, you may experience reduced download speeds beyond the 24-hour recovery period.

If you find that your download threshold is too small for your needs, you should consider upgrading your service to a plan that offers a greater download threshold.

How do I verify that I have exceeded my download threshold?
Go to myHughesNet.com, click on Customer Care, then click on the Check My Usage link in the Resources section.

How is the Fair Access Policy applied during the 3:00–6:00 a.m. period?
Currently, you can use your HughesNet service daily between the hours of 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Eastern Time without the restrictions of the Fair Access Policy.

Why was the 3:00–6:00 a.m. period implemented?
This period has been provided for HughesNet subscribers to schedule the downloading of automated updates or other large files.

Are there any limitations to what I can do during the 3:00–6:00 a.m. period ?
Yes:
1) this period is subject to available capacity;
2) download speeds are not guaranteed during these hours; and
3) the HughesNet Acceptable Use Policy is still in effect.

What do you recommend I do during the 3:00–6:00 a.m. period?
We recommend that you automatically schedule your system updates between the hours of 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Eastern time. We also suggest the use of a download manager software application to assist in the scheduling of large file downloads.

Do you recommend a particular download manager?
While we cannot recommend any at this time, we are currently in the process of testing several download managers for this purpose.

Will my standard FAP-reduced throughput period of 24 hours be extended by 3 hours?
No, the reduced throughput period will end 24 hours after the hour in which the Fair Access Policy was triggered.

What will happen if I’m in the middle of a large download at 3:00 a.m.?
During a large download, if you are subject to FAP and the download is not interrupted up until 3:00 a.m., the balance of the download will complete FAP-free and at normal speeds, subject to available capacity.

What will happen if I’m in the middle of download at 6:00 a.m.?
If you were subject to the FAP-reduced throughput period just prior to 3:00 a.m. and you started the download of a file which does not complete by 6:00 a.m., your download will continue under the FAP restrictions. If you were not subject to FAP prior to 3:00 a.m. and you started the download of a file which does not complete by 6:00 a.m., your download will continue and the portion of the download occurring after 6:00 a.m. will be counted toward the download threshold for FAP.

©2007 HUGHES | About this site | Privacy Policy | Fair Access Policy | Subscriber Agreement

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 11:02 AM

Right, the Starband policy is similar except they use a 7 day rolling average instead of a 24 hour period.

Plus the free evening period is free from 12 midnight EST to 6 AM EST instead of HN which is free from 3AM to 6AM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.