Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Nissan x-terra suspension problems
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 04:06 PM

Thank you all.

Ken, unfortunately I have already ordered the Calmini add-a-leaf kit (1-1/2 inch lift with 2 long leaf springs per spring pack). I talked to a suspension shop I trust and they said that this was probably the best course of action (they will do the install). The "X" was deffinitely bottoming out-----ie. the axle was hitting the rubber "stop" continously when even moderately loaded. (sometimes hit bottom on the FREEWAY!!!)

Calmini told me that if the "rake" was too obnoxious I could always order their little spacer blocks for the front Bilstein coil-over shock/springs to raise it up a little. I am not thrilled with that sugestion so we will just have to see. I think I can live with the extra 1-1/2 inch raise in the rear----don't really care what it looks like.

So far my rock crawling with the rear elec. locker has been impressive------I believe that it is a pretty competant off road vehicle, and my experience so far has been encouraging. 9 full real inches of clearance with pretty good approach and departure angles, and Bilstein's all around.

I get about 21 mpg with the 261hp V-6 on the highway, but have no idea what it gets in the dirt. It's an automatic with a 4 speed tranny plus overdrive------it has more power than I need.

After I get the Calmini kit installed and have a chance to run in the dirt I will report back to you all.

Thanks again to ALL of you.

barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 11:10 PM

Barry, looks like you'll be ready for Pole Line 7 this December! It's the special "ROCK EDITION" Pole Line run!!
C'mon and join in the fun!!!

[Edited on 10-27-2007 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 10:29 AM

Yah Barry... get back to Baja where YOU belong (or at least want to be)!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 12:09 PM

Ken and David-------

I am working on it, really, I am!!! I am sitting here now awaiting the "parts" for my upgrade.

Viva X-Terra's!!!! (and Tacoma's and Rubicon's????)

RAISING THE FRONT END:
Have any of you folks had any experience with the "spacer blocks" that are available for raising the front end of coil spring vehicles (in this case "coil-over shocks")------they put the spacers inbetween the coils??? I think. It does not sound like a good idea to me, but I really have no experience with them.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
RAISING THE FRONT END:
Have any of you folks had any experience with the "spacer blocks" that are available for raising the front end of coil spring vehicles (in this case "coil-over shocks")------they put the spacers inbetween the coils???

Sounds like a good way to test parts to decide if they are "Baja Proven" or not!?! :bounce:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 10:16 AM

Barry, I don't think it is a good ideal for an off highway vehicle. When your bouncing up and down quickly you would be extending the suspension to it fullest and I think that would be a problem after a while. I would go with a taller spring. I think the spacer is for the street only people.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 01:00 PM

Whistler and TW------

That is very good advice-------thank you very much. I have made hard copies of both your responses and will look into it if I have to address the front end suspension.

Again, thanks mucho. This is another example of what the NOMADS board is all about, and I love it.

You cannot believe some of the "advice" I have gotten from some of the local 4-wheel drive shops-------mostly questionable, at best as they REALLY want to sell me what ever products they happen to handle, none of which excite me much.

barry

[Edited on 10-28-2007 by Barry A.]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 02:14 PM
UPDATE on the "X"

I finally settled on the CALMINI add-a-leaf kit which consists of 4 leafs (2 per spring pack) and longer u-bolts to accomodate the thicker spring packs.

The kit cost $149+ s&h , and it cost me $300 to have it installed by a local spring/suspension shop, for a total of about $475.

I took the X out on a local powerline road (the only dirt roads not yet closed by the Goverment) and it worked like a charm------love it. No more bottoming out, and it really does not seem that "stiff" on the pavement.

We were able to use the existing stock Bilstein shocks, and we did not use the provided 2" "rubber bumper extenders" that came with the kit----we really do not know why the "extenders" would be used-----we like the fact that I now have 2 inches more articulation in the rear axle (a solid axle), and the existing shocks seem to handle it just fine.

It raised the rear end just slightly less than 2 inches. I did not do anything to the front end so it is a little "up" in the rear, but that is ok with me, and it levels out well when loaded with a lot of camping gear, which it usually is.

It did not seem to effect the alignment, but we will see in the future if it is still within specs.

Again, thanks to all for the great advice and assistance in this project.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.