Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: kidnapping attempt at Soriana La Paz
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 08:26 PM

This is better than "On the Waterfront". It has the corrupt police element that Kazan never had.

Gnukid........striving for a Gnuday for La Paz; a GnuDeal for the barrio.

You will be flush with tamales from the mamacitas, gnukid, if this goes down before Christmas.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 09:33 PM

Ya gotta love this guy and how he writes. A real Mexican Elmore Leonard. Disgusting characters and great dialogue.

He has also captured the convoluted, complex legal/justice system that has emerged over millenia in Mexico. One can see here the significance of relationships/favors/barter/exchance that underlies the system. One can also see the complex system of paperwork beurocracy that is self perpetuating and exists to provide patronage positions for people who are connected to other people of power. It reminds me of VS Naipal and his trip to India, where he found a similar system.

I think that it is in part because of the cultural differences that we have such a hard time accepting the reality of what GnuKid writes. Even if it is satire, or hyperbole, he is describing a reality that most of us have witnessed to some extent or another and scratched our collective heads about.

Great writing and a rather complex "bump" on my part.

Iflyfish
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 10:49 PM

I'm still not willing to "write" this story off, yet. I'm still a believer.

It's just such an entertaining read............

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
[quote

The governor has built a nice house on the street and will move some of his family here so this has to stop.

There is a side track to this, yesterday a young very developed woman about 15 arrived decked out in red stretch pants and a red belly shirt with black netting over the shirt

The fun never stops and nothing ever changes.

At least the neighborhood is going a bit upscale with the arrival of some relations to the uppercrust.
Love the way you throw in some "sex" to keep your readership interested, the sign of a good author.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 12:29 PM

Honestly I didn't understand what the interaction meant until I just accepted it at face value as a nice teasing joke and likely complimentary, to which I refused, this time.

Now the focus is the 10 month long door project con mis maderos which I am sure is just about to get started.

The good news the mechanics are great in la paz and all cars are running very well.

[Edited on 11-20-2007 by gnukid]
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
The fun never stops and nothing ever changes.

[Edited on 11-19-2007 by gnukid]

Thanks gnukid

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:44 PM

Un otro dia en al bario.

Early, in the morning as we went fishing, I noticed someone had crashed into my car, again. I heard it the night before but decided not to go outside to confront the drunk. It was clear they hit my car and it did lots of damage to theirs with broken lights and plastic but they did little to my car. It happens often and I have a nice relationship with my body mechanic el Peppy Pepe, someone who I appreciate greatly. I consider the cost of parking back home and figure its less cost to leave my cars with the body shop periodically, it takes months to fix them and I pay very little. The drug addicts come to the street calejon Rangel in the night to buy drugs and to be stealth they turn off their lights and about one in ten crashes into something. Smart.

The dorado apparently weren't biting and the climate definitely changed for the fall today in la paz. Its cool now. Sierra are still biting off of Magote and big ones off of Pichilingue.

I came back in early to begin my FM3 renewel which is due today 20 de Noviembre my favorite day of the year. I have been distracted. In the pueblos dia de revolucion is big but in La Paz its not usually too big. Today though I heard the sounds coming early and the cars began to gather and soon the malecon began to grow full of people in costumes.

In front of the Marines, they began to gather a band and parade to the Maelcon. El Chino Muleto was singing loudly, "Yo soy El Chino, el commandante del bario, el pillon de la polica, ellos son mis protegedoras, Estoy libre con independicia..."

I had hoped that I would finally do my immigration work so I headed down to the malecon weaving through the parade traffic. I attempted to park of the hill of Manuel Pineda next to the offices. As I pulled up the cobblestone street a car began to pull out directly in line with my car, I honked, panicked and hit the gas hard to exit the space he would surely fill blindly, but my car stalled on the severe hill, the carburator filled with gas and quit and it was clear the driver wasn't looking and had no intention of stopping as the car inched closer. The windows were tinted black and I honked repeatedly but the white reverse lights kept inching closer. Finally, I started the car and burnt out as the car barely missed creaming my car. Whew one more bullet dodged.

The immigration was open and empty with the parade passing by. I entered and they were super nice, "Hola amigo que ondas?" reviewing my huge stack of complicated papers, copies, originals and said I think you'll be fine. We'll try to do it today. I know it will be a continuing game but at least I got through the first hoop, getting my folio number and application in progress before my due date.

And there was Chino marching along the malecon... Until the la Policia Turistica spotted him and pulled their weapons. Chino responded by running to the water and he swam away. As I returned home, I drove by mi vecino Chino soaking wet walking back to his house with his wife and children.

Later on in the afternoon, the neighborhood solderduras y viejitos gathered with me and they brought shovels began to talk about using basic tools to hit him as a group and deliver him, dead or alive to the police. El Suegro de Chino, El Titan, who is my best friend told everyone he has had it with P-nche Chino and the policia. That last night El Chnio put graffiti on the new homes where he is the cuidador. Now he has to pay for the paint to fix it. I looked at the graffiti and tried to read gang letters to see what it said, it said (myname)elunico . I was embarassed to see he graffitied that I am the only one whatever that means. But it appeared that few viejitos could read the graffiti. Either way they asked if I would accompany them to the polcia tomorrow and file a report.. otra vez. Son 4 demandas del el barrio a Chino, y manana mas por nada. I protested that we know the police are protecting him? But El Titan said there are many police, you just have to go the next one and find one good one to help. The problem is everyone is a cousin or a brother, we need someone different.

After Chino had a few beers and who knows what else, he approached me, full of angst, threatening with a Tecate cuagama over his head, as I was helping a kid with his bmx bike, "por que manejaste la policia? Te pagas la policia para molesterme en la manana," he screamed eyes wide. I replied, "Yo no pago nada, y no hago nada, yo no se que paso Chino, soy tu vecino y las problemos que tienes no estan mi cumple," feigning calmness as la Loba let out deep barks. "Suerte amigo, adios," I said as I left.

I did my errands and noticed a stream of messages, estamos esperando en el cafe... o ven a las casa de gloria, tengo una carta, ven. Finally I found the neighborhood women who delivered a letter with everyone's signature, stating they saw him raise the bottle and threaten me, they called the police and would I accompany them to the police tomorrow to file a report... otra vez... they said they have had it with the deliquency of Chino but don't worry he was very drunk and is asleep now.

I just heard sirens coming a long way to arrive near and a single shot fired. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I am certain tomorrow is going to be totally different than today. yawn.

[Edited on 11-21-2007 by gnukid]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:25 PM

El Chino contra Elunico

Gnukid,
You should find an arena and sell tickets.
You could get rich. :biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:43 PM

The police are there now finally with guns trying to enter the house, hola senior Chino. I hope and pray they take him.

If not he is going to be even more crazy tomorrow and its going to be ugly. Why is so hard for bad guys to get arrested and so easy for good people to get hassled?

Why is it that when bad people get caught they blame the victim for their trouble?

[Edited on 11-21-2007 by gnukid]
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 12:56 AM

Let's hope they haul him off for good this time..

Keep us posted..

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.