Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sea Creature Identification, please
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 09:35 AM
Sea Creature Identification, please

As I was coming out of the water 15 minutes ago after my morning swim, I was stung on my right arm by what felt like a jelly fish. When I pulled my arm up out of the water, there was a clear tenacle about 3 feet long wrapped around my arm. I slung it away and got out of the water muy pronto. My husband went to see what it was and there was a long eel like creature on the bottom of the sea. He went to look for something to poke it with to see if we could get an ID but by the time he got back it was gone. I have large red welts all up and down my arm. I am putting vinegar on them and the stinging is subsiding.
Any ideas on what got me? Perhaps the two are not related but the coincidence seems unlikely.

edit to add. the eel like creature was about 4 feet long

[Edited on 11-25-2007 by bajajudy]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 09:40 AM

While snorkling off Ligui/ Puerto Escondido many years ago, the same (?) type of jellyfish (just a single long tube with a purple tip on one end)... There were several of them and they caused some skin irritation. Could it be the same 'string jelly' that got you?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 10:01 AM

The "eel-like" is different; maybe an unrelated fish ?
Sounds like you got a man-o-war tentacle but not from the creature you described. They are more frequent when the wind blows hard onshore for a few days. Sometimes they will lose tentacles in the surf.
Consider taking some benedryl and if the stinging persists, try a poultice with Adolf's Meat Tenderizer if you have it. A mild soreness and a few days of itchiness at the site are the typical symptoms. Sounds like you didn't have a critical reaction to it; most folks don't - except the sting.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 10:13 AM

The active ingredient of almost all meat tenderizers is papain. If no Adolph's etc. available, try papaya.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 10:41 AM

the mechanism of action of the stinging is called a nematocyst.....thats how jellyfish sting......lots of stories of urinating etc on the stung area.....try benedryl lotion. If you consult your physician, he/she may recommend some hydrocortisone cream/lotion also.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 11:29 AM
Father Goose

Diver seems to have it right. The two seem to be unrelated.

Reminds me of an old film "Father Goose". In it Caron is convinced she's been bit by a deadly snake and drinks plenty of liquor in an attempt to fight off the venom. In the end they discover it was a spine on a submerged branch. "It looks like a snake". A case of mistaken identity.

Judy, perhaps it's time to get some stronger medicine from the cabinet. You'll have this thing licked in no time. And if you feel you limbs growing numb, don't worry, it's the medicine doing it's work.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 11:45 AM

All is well and I, too, have decided that the two were not related. I have been bitten many times by jellys and was pretty sure that was what it was.
The string looked like slimy mono-filament with sand stuck on it. Had I not been so busy trying to get it off of me I would have gotten a better look.
Oso...I had forgotten about the papaya trick...thanks for the reminder.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 11:58 AM
Remedy

Internal and external applications of alcohol.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 12:46 PM

A three-foot-long tentacle wrapped around your arm? Yuck! That couldn't have been very pleasant.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 01:53 PM

The worst I have ever heard of was about a snorkler actually sucking one of those tendrils into his snorkel. Now there was a guy with problems.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 02:26 PM

My wife is a regular ocean swimmer. She once got stung on the mouth. She swore quite a bit, but know she swears by this stuff. :biggrin:

http://www.buysafesea.com/

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 05:54 PM

EGL,

That stuff looks pretty good. I think we'll get some. I hate the sea lice that bite while I'm trying to clean fish at the edge of the water as well as the jelly fish particles that I never happen to notice BEFORE I jump into the middle of them.

I've heard that swimming with panyhose on will help also, but I just can't seem to get up the nerve to make that much of a fashion statement...yet.

Thanks for the info.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:36 PM

Jellyfish Stings (cont.)

IN THIS ARTICLEJellyfish Stings Overview
Jellyfish Sting Causes
Jellyfish Sting Symptoms
When to Seek Medical Care
Exams and Tests
Jellyfish Stings Treatment
Self-Care at Home
Medical Treatment
Next Steps
Follow-up
Prevention
Outlook
Multimedia
Authors and Editors

Medical Treatment
Care involves general support, wound care, and pain control.

General support

You may need help breathing in extreme cases (such as with a severe box jellyfish poisoning).

Your vital signs will be monitored. Low blood pressure, or shock, will initially be treated with IV fluids, followed by appropriate medications.

Severe allergic reactions will always be considered and treated with appropriate medications.

Serious poisonings by the box jellyfish of Australia require an antivenom. This antivenom reverses the effect of the poison and can be life saving.

Wound care

The affected area will be rinsed with salt water or normal saline to inactivate the nematocysts (stingers). Fresh water will not be used because it will cause the release of more toxins.

The area may also be rinsed with acetic acid 5% (vinegar) to inactivate undischarged nematocysts and the toxins.

Doctors will use gloves and forceps to remove any remaining attached tentacles.

Pain control

Itching is usually treated with an antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

Oral pain medicines may be given.

The doctor may give you topical corticosteroids and oral steroids (Prednisone) if your reaction is severe.

You may be given a tetanus booster if needed.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 08:01 PM

Paulina
I am still laughing thinking about hitting the beach in panty hose...you would have to wear them over your upper body too! At least if they were over your head no one would recognize you
:P

DR. T
So my vinegar cure was right on the money.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 09:01 PM

Bajajudy,

I'm thinking we could use a pair of pantyhose in the same fashion as one would wear a mink stole (sp?) over their shoulders? One arm in each leg, with the opening behind the neck?

Queen size would protect the belly region, if you still wear a bikini. (I do)

Then, of course we would want to protect our faces from the nasty stinging nettles by stretching a panty hose leg over our head. Not only would our bathing suit body be un-recognizable to others because our faces would resemble bank robbers, but we would be sting free!!!

So, should I be shopping for the Suntan color or Nude type? It's been years since I've bought a pair of hose. Do they still make Eggs?

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
:P

DR. T
So my vinegar cure was right on the money.

Yep, good first choice. Side note, human urine is usually a little acidic so thats where the urinating on a sting comes from also.
SUNDOG
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 03:43 PM
Portuegease man of war

Could this be what it was?
http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/bluebottle.htm
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 04:38 PM

Sundog. I didnt see one and I do know what they look like but that long tentacle(thanks, lera!) sure looks like what wrapped around my arm.

Side note: In the middle of the night my arm must have itched and I must have scratched it because I woke up and thought that the jelly fish was in bed with me....ouch all over again, exact same pain.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.