Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: More pedestrian shake-downs at TJ border
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I've had weapons pointed directly at me many times over the years by military personnel, but never by any police officers. Just luck, I guess.

Generally, I've always felt that it was a GOOD idea to obey the instructions of someone aiming a weapon at my chest. Unless I KNOW differently, I always assume that the weapon is loaded. Although it's unlikely that they would shoot you, mistakes happen, and they get to make up the story afterwards.

However, I recommend that EVERYONE who feels differently, stand firm on your beliefs and don't take any crap at all from those officials. If nothing else, it will be good reading for the rest of us.

'Twas neither military nor police, but I have had a loaded weapon pressed firmly up against my right temple.... and believe me there was no doubt in any small part of me that I would do exactly what the gunman said to do when he said to do it.

While my experience did not take place in Baja (was right here in the good ol' USofA), I bring it up to make the point that being accosted by someone with a gun is very scary - and for good reason. And I find myself agreeing with MrB:wow:... it's a good idea to obey the instructions of the guy with the gun.
Money is just money, and stuff is just stuff. Your life - now that's something.:yes:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 02:39 PM

Yeah....Remember those vows to honor and obey and cook.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 03:12 PM

Dennis - I have no problem with the honor part, and I admit to obeying at gunpoint. But cook??? Gene was just shining you on... he's tasted my cooking.:lol::dudette:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 10:36 PM

Have never had a cop in Mexico pull a weapon out on me except when my friends and I were in high school drinking at a bar in Mexicali called the "Cage" and then went upstairs to a bar called the "Lobby" where we got into a verbal disagreement with some locals and went down stairs to cross at the old port just across the street. One of our friends, who was high school wrestler, as were others of us decided he had to relieve himself on the side of the building. A cop was on it in a moment. Pushed my friend against the wall and was trying to cuff him but my friend was agruing and struggling with the cop who then pulled his gun. My buddy did a very very stupid thing by spinning and knocking the weapon and officer to the ground. Never moved so fast in all my life but we did get those few yards back into the U.S.A. Never did go back with that friend and took a while before I had the guts to cross again. The parties, booze, and friends eventually got me back.
Now, the military I have had them search me along with my truck searching for weapons or drugs and they definately pointed weapons at me. Now, again that was a number of years back, as now they just wave me through.
I have also had police in T.J. try to shake me down when driving through but remained calm and kept saying never did anything wrong and they finally let me go. That said I have in the past in the interest of time just slipped them a twenty and drove on. However, the gun thing if pointed at me with bad intentions I am going to give them whatever they want. I can always earn more money but I can not buy myself another life or do time on some B.S. charge in their hell hole jail. Money and things can always be replaced one way or another, however a life or being injuried is just not worth it. Especially since we are getting older, as I for one just do not heal as fast as I once did. Later------- bajafun777

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 11:31 AM

Don't come here, don't come here....

Bad cops, steal your money...

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Throughout the years, every time a new official is elected, whether he be The President, Governor or Mayor, they always make a lot of noise about firing corrupt police. They usually do fire some. Then you have the problem of trained, armed and angry cops fully committed to being criminals. Often they retain uniforms, police cars with lights and their attitudes are violent.

Mary Shelley couldn't have created better Frankensteins than the system that has created these conditions. :fire:

How is it the Mexican gov't can created these acronym-rich titles for departments and the newly doled-out positions, they can create intelligent sounding press releases (when push comes to shove) to sound intelligent... yet Mexico is always STUCK ON STUPID?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.