BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crossing the Border in TJ.
austin

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 02:25 PM
Crossing the Border in TJ.

Planning on a trip to Alejandro right after Christmas.
We (my girlfriend and I) were going with another couple that have recently been to Baja and have more experience than us, that just backed out. With all the happenings going on in TJ I think we would feel more comfortable crossing in a group…Is anyone headed down that way on 12/27. Does anyone want to chime in on general safety of the area? I’ve been reading a lot of stuff about assaults and car jackings. We are fired up to go, but don’t want to make a stupid and potentially harmful mistake.

I’ve been to Baja a few times (although it’s been years) and we have traveled through Costa Rica and mainland Mexico together…We’ll be coming form Santa Cruz, spending the night in the KOA close to the boarder on 12/26.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. We’re fun people, easy going and great campers.
G-Rock

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 04:32 PM

I'm a first timer too. I'm thinking of crossing December 26 but I may be able to adjust things slightly. I asked a few question here and got some great responces that you might be interested in as well.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28537

[Edited on 12-12-2007 by G-Rock]
Ojosraros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 05:29 PM

My wife and I are crossing on Dec 26 also. We plan to cross at San Ysidro in the morning hour traffic, maybe 9 or 10 am and go directly to Ensenada for some quick fish tacos then to San Quinitn (Old Mill) to spend the night. Then on to Abreojos and Lopez Mateos. We will be beach camping and fishing from a tandem kayak. We would be stoked to convoy with you guys. I speak Spanish and know the way also. send me a U2U!

Adam
alwysundrh2o

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:01 AM

We will be staying at the KOA in Chula Vista on the night of Dec 26th and going across the border on Dec 27th to go down to Cabo. We would be interested in doing a caravan with you?
Ojosraros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 11:59 AM

you can caravan with us. shoot me an U2U

Adam
ChicoTerri

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 03:18 PM

My husband and I are crossing at TJ on the 27th. We'll be in San Clemente on the night of the 26th and plan to cross early in the morning. We'll stop in Ensenada for ATM and a little grocery shopping at Gigante then on to San Quintin or El Rosario for the first night. We're thinking of San Ignacio for night two (such a cute town) and our destination is Mulege. We're up for caravanning as well if the group isn't getting too big. We've been going down to Mulege for many years...can't wait!
austin

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:41 PM

i'm thinking about crossing in Tecate now due to all the crazyness , anyone interested?
alwysundrh2o

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 10:42 PM

Hi All,
Well, there seems to be alot of people that are crossing TJ on Dec 26th. I think it will be much safer if several of us can get together and cross at the same time and stick together for the drive down south as far as possible. I have had a few friends cross just 3 weeks ago and heard a few stories but don't think it is a bad as it all sounds. However, it WILL be much safer to cross at day break, 7:00 or 8:00am, rather that our usual 4:00am. Somehow if we all can meet up somewhere, cell phones, CB radio channels, or FAR radios and coordinate this before the day, this would be great. Maybe we all can meet at the KOA in Chula Vista and go from there?
Are there people in R.V.'s or smaller vehicles? My wife and I will be in pick up and camper and can travel the speed limits + pretty good.
austin

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 10:49 PM

looks like we are taking the Tecate route.
glad this post brought some of you together.
have a great trip everyone and see ya in Baja!!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 10:57 PM
Otay

Cross at Otay in the morning (stop at Eric's Deli first for some coffee and breakfast) then head south on Blvd 2000, hit the toll road at Popotla and head south....quick, no traffic.

alwysundrh2o

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 11:14 PM

I have never crossed at Otay. Where does the road intersect HWY 1 south?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 05:49 AM

otay is pretty hard to catch mex1

first you have to go EAST toward san felipe
then
south on a NICE road
then
thru some town
then
south on the FREE road
then to the toll road

its WAY easier to cross at tj
the tourist cards are easier to get too

you do have to pay two extra tolls

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 09:02 AM
Always under

Pretty to find, despite what others say. If you want I can u2u directions. Been using this route for over a year with no problems.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.