BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FMT at Tijuana airport and km. 21 (first posting)
robrt8
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 11:49 AM
FMT at Tijuana airport and km. 21 (first posting)

Hi All,
I'm working on a thought...need someone to straighten me out.
If I'm in the interior of Mexico with a valid FMT with a few days left and I fly/drive into the border zone, I don't need the FMT any more, right? I can turn it in somewhere - or not.
Now if I fly/drive back south again, I can get a new FMT at the airport or km.21?
I guess what I'm wondering about is whether I would have cross NOB to check out the action in San Ysidro - and follow the letter of the law (I can't find the law online).
Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 04:35 PM

Only the Mexican officials can quote you the law, the day you ask (as it changes from official to official)...

An FM-T is required if you stay anywhere in Mexico more than 72 hours OR if you go south of the border zone, even for just 1 day...

The border zone in Baja is (usually) to Maneadero on Hwy. 1 or to San Felipe on Hwy. 5...

I think few travelers turn theirs in, as there is no easy method, once you are in the line going into the U.S. or even bother to mail theirs in, I would guess.

The paid ground travel FM-T (up to 180 days) is good for multiple entries, so you wouldn't want to turn it in unless you were on the last month it was valid.

IF the FM-T return deal was that important, there would be a method to hand them in before you reach U.S. soil, northbound... wouldn't you think?

Naturally, it is important to have one 'just in case'... The only place in Baja I have ever been asked to show mine is at the state border near Guerrero Negro...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

robrt8
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 07:24 PM

Thanks David,
I didn't know an fmt is good for multiple entries. Next time I fly NOB I'll ask to keep my fmt, since I fly-in 5x a year. Or maybe that's by car only...worth a try!
I've heard that the whole fmt deal is going to get computerized at some point. If they can't collect the fmt's I don't know how it can work.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 07:58 PM

you could hand it (the FM-T) to one of the vendors selling chiclets while you wait to cross into the US

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by robrt8
Thanks David,
I didn't know an fmt is good for multiple entries. Next time I fly NOB I'll ask to keep my fmt, since I fly-in 5x a year. Or maybe that's by car only...worth a try!
I've heard that the whole fmt deal is going to get computerized at some point. If they can't collect the fmt's I don't know how it can work.

The fly boys have to pay each time they go in, no multi-entry.

We poor land travelers had pitty given to us when Mexico began charging for FM-Ts in 2000 (they were free before then)... They said for the twenty dollars, you could reuse it for as long as it was valid... the max. being 180 days.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 07:18 AM

robrt8 - - My understanding of the FM-T is it is good for one trip. My friends use theirs multiple times without any problems. If you're crossing as much as you mentioned and plan to continue that in the future it would be nice to have an FM-3 or FM-2 if you have property.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 07:59 AM

It is also my understanding it is a one time deal and each time you come in you need a new one...so the trick is not to mention you were here before..just say you have been in mexico from when you have the original fmt. Yes you can get one for 6 months and stay that time but you can't come and go.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 08:53 AM

We turned ours back in before they expired at New Mexicali. We happened to be in Declaration importing goods legally and just walked back to Immagration. I don't see how that is possible at the Tijuana crossing where there is no parking.

The Immagration man did stamp them but we recieved no reciept.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
If you're crossing as much as you mentioned and plan to continue that in the future it would be nice to have an FM-3 or FM-2 if you have property.

With a FM2 you are only allowed out of Mex for 180 days in a 5 year period. This is for residents, not tourists.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 09:11 AM
Multiple Trips within 180 days, FM-T

Okay guys, you asked for it:

1) FAQ, Baja Calif. Traveler's Message (Fred Metcalf's) Board:

Can I use the Tourist Card for another visit?

Yes, as long as the visit occurs within six months of the time the card is first validated, and you are not flying into the country. You should make sure the issuing official knows you intend making "multiple entries" and would like the visa issued for 180 days. You may have to get an extension indicated on the form when you are leaving the country, or when you make a return visit.

If you are making repeated visits by commercial airline, you'll have to effectively pay the fee on each flight into the country. No mechanism has yet been devised to separate the fee from the price of the ticket, and coordinate the paperwork with immigration.

2) Mexonline.com:

Mexican Visa Requirements

Mexico has a tourist fee they charge visitors. If you are either staying in Mexico longer than 72 hours or traveling past the Border Zone you will need to pay the 190 peso Tourist Card fee (roughly $20 US dollars). The card, known as the Migratory Tourist Form (FMT) is valid for six months (180 days) with multiple entries. Make sure you ask for the full 180 days even is you plan to stay only a short time. You never know if you may return in those 180 days.

3) Thorntree:

I know that when driving back to the US from Mexico you don't have to surrender your FM-T when exiting, if you're planning on returning to Mexico before the FM-T time limit expires.

4) Mexicomike.com:

Excerpted from the 4th edition of Live Better South of the Border, 2005.

Updates on Mexican Tourist Cards or Permits (FMT's)

Mexican Immigration officials have told me privately that they are ignoring the rule that you can only get one Mexican tourist card (an FMT) every year if -- in their clairvoyance -- they don't think you are living or working in Mexico. So take heart and somehow just try to look like you don't live live in Mexico, whatever that means.

You don’t need a visa to travel to Mexico as a tourist. You need a tourist card, called an FMT (also seen as an FM-T in some publications). This FMT Mexican tourist permit is good for multiple entries.

===========================================

There's more... but I think that's enough, so believe whichever way you wish.

By the way, I did go to the Mexican government web site for INM, and it has no details on the FMT... Only that we don't need a 'visa'... but couldn't find any tourist card official details. Please post them with links if you find an official government site with them, thanks!

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 09:55 AM

I'm flying out of TJ to La Paz next month with friends. I have FM3 but they'll need to get FMTs. Does anyone know if you can get FMTs at the TJ airport, and if so where?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
robrt8
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 12:49 PM

Second-hand info: There's an immigration counter at the airport. Your pals will have to pay the US$26 or so for the fmt, since it's not included in the fare.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info Robert.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.