Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mayberry RFD Catavina style
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 05:04 PM

I know this is a very old thread but it has significance to me because I was just pulled over in Catavina last week. I have always been suspicious of that police station (what's the reason for having one in Catavina; such a remote place?). When the police officer came to my window, he began apologizing for pulling me over; now I was really confused. Then appeared another policeman holding 2 suitcases who also apologized profusely; turns out that they pulled me over because the chief (Jose) needed a ride to Ensenada since his car wasn't working and given that I was traveling alone could I give him one? I really wasn't about to say "no" so I ended up giving him a ride; and it gave me 4 1/2 hours to ask him a ton of questions about being a police officer in Mexico, living in Catavina, etc. He spoke perfect English and was eager to practice it.

It turned out to be a very interesting ride and he seemed to be a good guy; I was surprised to learn that he earns about $25K/year, which isn't bad for a policeman in Mexico. But the living conditions are pretty harsh in Catavina and he mainly deals with accidents on the highway as well as theft of animals among ranchers. I guess they also grow a lot of marijuana in the hills around Catavina. His boss is indeed in Ensenada and he travels up there every 2 weeks to meet with him. He also told me all about "Gotta Peso", the homeless guy in Catavina as well as the head chef at the Hotel restaurant (I'll think twice about eating there now; better choice is the restaurant across the street). I felt a little funny speeding (remember the highest speed limit is 50 MPH; who drives that slowly?) and I took a few calls on my cell phone but he didn't mind either of the infractions. And I have one of those Sindicatura stickers on the back of my car, too!

I chalked this up to another classic Baja experience; he was sure grateful for the ride and now I guess I have a "connection" in Catavina (like that's going to ever do me any good!).
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 05:48 PM

I stopped at the Cataviña gift store a couple of weeks ago. I saw the two police officers and asked directions to the El Marmol gift store.

I don't think they could have spoken to a more GRINGOISH GRINGO, with a kayak on top of an FJ cruiser.
But they were both helpful with the directions.

However, big difference...I spoke in perfect Español wit them, and they were very cordial.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 06:11 PM
Great storys

20 odd years ago I left the wife & dog at camp and was going to the Big city S.J.D.C. for the weekly supplys..came up to the hwy and three cops in uniform..One waved so I pulled over and and they climbed in (volvo sedan) and the It hit me,, like a ton of brinks...the wifes joints were in the rear ashtray between the two front bucket seats facing the (2) cops...and then my spanglish wasnt that great.. but I made clear .." no smoking please" and drove for 45 mins to town with my heart skipping about every 4 beat !!! I'll never forget that ride !!:lol: wonder why me a the wifeee alwas got in fights about carrying herb !! LOL ...K&T
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
I know this is a very old thread but it has significance to me because I was just pulled over in Catavina last week. I have always been suspicious of that police station (what's the reason for having one in Catavina; such a remote place?). When the police officer came to my window, he began apologizing for pulling me over; now I was really confused. Then appeared another policeman holding 2 suitcases who also apologized profusely; turns out that they pulled me over because the chief (Jose) needed a ride to Ensenada since his car wasn't working and given that I was traveling alone could I give him one? I really wasn't about to say "no" so I ended up giving him a ride; and it gave me 4 1/2 hours to ask him a ton of questions about being a police officer in Mexico, living in Catavina, etc. He spoke perfect English and was eager to practice it.

It turned out to be a very interesting ride and he seemed to be a good guy; I was surprised to learn that he earns about $25K/year, which isn't bad for a policeman in Mexico. But the living conditions are pretty harsh in Catavina and he mainly deals with accidents on the highway as well as theft of animals among ranchers. I guess they also grow a lot of marijuana in the hills around Catavina. His boss is indeed in Ensenada and he travels up there every 2 weeks to meet with him. He also told me all about "Gotta Peso", the homeless guy in Catavina as well as the head chef at the Hotel restaurant (I'll think twice about eating there now; better choice is the restaurant across the street). I felt a little funny speeding (remember the highest speed limit is 50 MPH; who drives that slowly?) and I took a few calls on my cell phone but he didn't mind either of the infractions. And I have one of those Sindicatura stickers on the back of my car, too!

I chalked this up to another classic Baja experience; he was sure grateful for the ride and now I guess I have a "connection" in Catavina (like that's going to ever do me any good!).

Great story and I wish I was there with you guys to hear it all!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 07:41 PM

I wonder if your new friend Jose is the same guy we dealt with?

I would love to hear the story of Gotta Peso, or Andy Hurr, as he calls himself. Maybe start a new thread? I've always wondered what his story was, according to the locals. We all know his version(s).

Thanks,
Paulina >*)))>{

ps. We still creep through Catavina, even after all this time.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
KevinFromUtah

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 08:38 PM

Quote:

I also couldn't pass up this post or your response and found myself laughing out loud at the coincidences between your story and mine.

A month ago when I totaled my car near Catavina (http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64627) it was Jose Luis who was a great help to me and my friends. In the day and a half we were there, he would check in on us to see how everything was going.
When he found out we were going to take a bus back to the border, he said he was headed home to Ensenada and offered to give us a ride. He ended up taking the three of us and all of our gear across the border where we met up with my dad.
Along the way he introduced us to his family and his favorite taqueria, and gave me a chance to ask him all sorts of questions about Baja, as his English really is impeccable. He was extremely polite and helpful, but obviously there's two sides to every coin as the other stories unfortunately illustrate.

I'm not trying to defend the speed trap at all, or cops asking for bribes. Just found it worth commenting on the strange reverse situations we found ourselves in. Small world.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 09:05 PM
Thanks for the post Kevin !!

well,, EDIT..a few minutes later..sorry,,had Dog problem & had to run...NOW,,what was I going to say............................................:?:

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by captkw]
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 11:12 PM

Now when he pulls me over in Cataviña i will tell Jose Luis he is now famous on the internet.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 11:15 PM

Quote:

Tell us about the chef at the hotel.:?::?::?:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I would love to hear the story of Gotta Peso, or Andy Hurr, as he calls himself. Maybe start a new thread?

Many existing threads on Gotta Peso:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=36086
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42730
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49084
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50032
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50325
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=53915

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Tell us about the chef at the hotel.:?::?::?:

Yes, please

gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 11:47 AM

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that (about the chef at the hotel); but since I did I'll convey what he said. Let me preface by saying that I always stop there for breakfast on my way south and I have never had a problem.

When I mentioned that, Jose said that the chef is a real slob and he would never eat the food that came out of the kitchen. When he first moved there 5 years ago he used to eat at the hotel but later started eating all of his meals at the restaurant right across the street because he thought that the kitchen was too dirty. We talked alot about where to eat in different places so he seemed to be pretty savvy on that point; when I told him that I never had a problem at the hotel and that I enjoyed my stop there he said "you really need to stop eating there".

One other thing to mention: the police station in Catavina has no telephone and no radio communication with Ensenada. The only radio they have is one to the hotel which has the only telephone in town. So if they need anything, they radio the hotel and the hotel makes the phone call for them. They also have no electricity other than solar, no running water and certainly no hot water (they get their water from the hotel and they heat it with a fire). There is also no refrigerator for their food so he eats 2 meals a day at the restaurant across from the hotel.

I mentioned the problem down in Constitution with police corruption (I tread lightly here because I didn't want to get him mad). He seemed to dislike the corruption as much as me; he said that those police have no training whatsoever (they just show up and when hired put on a uniform whether they have experience or not) and make around $200/week. Everyone seems to expect that they will supplement their income with morditas. Different jurisdictions pay their police different salaries; not all are the same. When I explained the routine we use of not paying cops, speaking only English, not handing over a driver's license, insisting on going to the station, etc., he agreed that this was the best way to avoid paying a mordita.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 05:00 PM

I will risk being condemned for harping on this point :)

For unfair stops, take the doggone time to file a complaint with the Green Angels. No cop, from a rurale, to the commandante of the SSP can ignore the ton of paperwork that has to be filled out to address a federal complaint. Many Mexican cops tell me they would rather face a sicario than a queja federal de SCT. Every T has to be crossed and i dotted or it goes back to the officer. The cop is grilled and they do not like it one bit. If they should be stupid enough to ignore the summons, they go to jail or pay a 1,100 peso multa. Then they fill out the forms.

Unless the cop is driving a car or pickup with the word MUNICIPIO, PJE (State) or PFP (federal) he is a RURAL and subject to very restrictive rules as to how he can administer traffic law.

If you elect to do so DEMAND A FACTURA for any payment of any fine. A FACTURA has the SHCP SAT module emblem imprint on the receipt and an official folio number. No Factura, no pay. It is a FEDERAL FELONY to issue a receipt for a delito that does not have the SHCP SAT folio number on it. Want to cop to back down, if he insists on payment, tell him "Si! Con Un Receibo de FACTURA. Solo FACTURA!" This is playing hardball and it's best to demand a FACTURA politely. Stay businesslike, and professional. A cop doesn't need to be a nuclear physicist to realize when he is in over his head.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 05:41 PM

I definitely agree with the FRACTURA with a seal!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 07:03 PM

FYI and only my opinion: DO NOT hand over your original DL or registration.

Make copies, give it to a cop asking for it.

Hand over originals, game over. You lose.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 07:19 PM

Is there any truth to any of his "Gotta Peso Man's", Hollywood stars stories?
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
I would love to hear the story of Gotta Peso, or Andy Hurr, as he calls himself. Maybe start a new thread?

Many existing threads on Gotta Peso:

Doug,
I know that there are many existing threads on him. I've contributed to a few. As I said, we all know his version. What I was asking is to hear the LOCAL VERSION of his story. Start a new thread on what the cop had to say. Where does the guy sleep? What do the locals think about him?

Quote:
..... I've always wondered what his story was, according to the locals. We all know his version(s).

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 12:30 PM

Paulina, I had the same idea (wanted to know the "local" perspective). Jose clearly thinks the guy is nuts and he regaled me with the stories that we have read about from others. I learned that he lives in his car, eats cookies & drinks pepsi from the local tienda (that's the extent of his diet). One thing that was interesting; Gotta never pays with any paper money, only coins. This has lead the locals to think that he is secretly stashing away paper money to be able to someday return to the US. I didn't get the sense that they look at Gotta with disgust or pity, just as someone with a screw loose.

Gotta claims he's from Switzerland and was secretly kidnapped to the US; Jose said "so if you're from Switzerland, you must speak German; let's hear it". Of course, Gotta didn't reply to that.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 01:09 PM

Lee if the cop looks at your copies of car registration or DL and demands the originals he has the law behind him. I'm not suggesting to fork them over merely to keep this fact in mind. The Codigos Transitos de PFP are based on these universal state laws and I read the laws pitiful word for pitiful word.

I suggest another tactic. Before you fork over ANYTHING, request the cop fork over an OFFICIAL RECEIPT for your paperwork. Listing the entire description and numbers for your documents. His name, badge number, vehicle license number, time & date.

"Quiero recebo para los documentos, que dice nombres de documentos, fechas, tu ID oficial, fecha, y tu firma."

This will slow them down.

Corrupt cops pray to the gods for gringos because gringos NEVER EVER EVER do anything about it. ZERO. They take the abuse and flee like mute rabbits.

I've "processed" more than a dozen cops and I can tell you for a fact they do not like it but there isn't a damned thing they can do about it. One jerk in downtown Lazaro Card##as Michoacan refuses to look at me now. I ran him through the meat grinder, including sindacatura, state and federal tourism board exams, the PGE and PGR and made copies of the complaints and actions and circulated the copies to all the businesses on ave Reforma in Lazaro Card##as.

No tickee, no washee.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.