Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hookah Divers (netting carilla Mar de Cortez
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 11:49 AM

Perceptions will always be an important factor in deciding the future of the gulf.

I frequently hang out at the marina to see what the results of the day's fishing are. I have spoken more than once with fishermen who describe the fishing as "very good" or "excellent" or "great," only to hear that opinion based on the fact that they and their partner caught only one or two yellowtail between the two of them.

For some, guided pangas catching four or five per boat means the fishing is as good as it gets.

Never mind that it has been much better, and still occasionally is in the right place at the right time.

If the Loreto Marine Park were to revise its rules and ban gill nets, you can bet that the local politicians will hear about it from the net fishermen. What are they to think? They are not fishermen.

Although the mayor and his wife did go fishing for the state sponsored Governor's Cup recently. Now Yuan is not a fisherman, and I don't think his wife EVER fishes. But I saw her the afternoon of the tournament and she was EXCITED! "I caught a big yellowtail!" Sure did, big enough (41lbs!) to win first place and $25,000 pesos (donated to DIF). And I believe the mayor himself declined to enter a slightly smaller fish that would have taken 3rd place.

Now, who wants to volunteer to tell the mayor that the fishing is ruined?:lol:

It's frustrating, but I've done this before, in Montana, I am SO RETIRED NEVER AGAIN WITH THIS FISHING POLITICS STUFF ACK ACK :o but there will always be vocal people who insist the fishing is fine, or it's just a cycle, or it was the Flood of '64, El Niņo, bananas, or you just don't know how to fish, yada yada yada.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 12:05 PM

Don Alley, I agree! Yea, usually the person with the least knowledge has the loudest voice.:yes: Never argue with an idiot, people won't be able to tell who's the idiot.:spingrin:
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 12:28 PM

Capt. George: the video is chilling; thanks for posting the link.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 12:54 PM
Don, you animal!

:lol:Politics shmolitics! You love the Sea, that's why you involve us in your "sea"world. To that I say gracias.
Maybe the passionate and religious will give an unintended surprise or gift in the form of contrary beliefs. That becomes food for thought to which we respond with our views, our perceptiosn and our(or some of our) important feedback.
To this we have already accomplished more than we can see or hear. Folks like Pam, Wilderone, you, and many others here feel a human duty in exposing misdeeds.
Who knows, this internet resource has much more value than just a few peoples opinions. Theree is a literal flood of stuff spilling out the curious and serious.
Our meager contributions may have great and positive ramifications. Conversely, we can also be a detriment. I'll stick to this subject as I do think we impact the system.
My appreciation goes out to those that feel it's thgeir duty to discuss important issues, particularily those that will impact our lives and our oceans permanently.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 01:58 PM
Seawatch

They're named very appropriately. And I'm grateful to be referred to it. They list many accomplishments and I hope they're not exaggerated.

The worly wide distribution over the internet of the actions by fishermen may be it's greatest contribution, though. Imagine the embarassment the various custodians of Loreto Marine Park must feel seeing these clips. There it is, front and center, for all to see the crimes which have probably been denied for years. Parrotfish and angelfish being harvested to the point of almost sinking the boat. Is there a market for angelfish? I've never seen them in the fish markets.

It's very effective.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 01:59 PM

I own nothing associated with Baja or the Sea of Cortez. Have some very good memories of visits with the folks that live way off the grid up in the mountains. What do I think of the fishing? If I ever return to Baja, fishing won't be on my agenda.:D
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
I own nothing associated with Baja or the Sea of Cortez. .:D

Please explain??

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2008 at 07:30 PM

Sharks, I was just passing thru, sort of a nomad you might say.:)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.