BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja mechanic says strong gas smell not a problem, is it?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 05:44 PM

If it were in the exhaust you would know it real quick from the loud bang.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
If it were in the exhaust you would know it real quick from the loud bang.

Very funny.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried all of them, including the charcoal. The only thing I can narrow it down to is the driver side rear of the car (around the rear wheel). The only thing near there (the tank, filter, gas cap are on the other side) is the muffler.

I'm going to take it to another mechanic for a second opinion when he has time.

It seem the consensus is that it can't be the muffler, no? I was thinking that maybe there is too much fuel being injected so that some of it is not being burned off -- but then it should be backfiring.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 03:09 PM

Just thinking out loud here:

One thing to try, is replace the gas tank fill cap...

If the cap is not venting (creating built up pressure) ... or is venting too much... Either way you could smell gas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I was sitting at a light once when I smelled gas. The engine started to sputter and I goosed the gas a little and it literally blew up.

Now we know where the name Woooosh came from!:lol::lol:

Best laugh I have had this week----------thank you, Jeans.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Barry

me too!

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2008 at 08:32 PM

Woooosh,

I know this post is old, if you have already figured this out disregard. Yes it could be in the exhaust. I am not familiar with this motor, but in general the fuel pressure regulator is a good place to start. If applicable pull the vacuum hose and look for fuel, if it is there, replace. Next pull the plugs and look for fuel fouling on the plugs. Do you have a miss? How is the mileage? It could have a dead cylinder pushing unburnt fuel into the exahust. If the Cat is gone or not up to temp it will run out the tail pipe, if the cat is working it will burn up in the cat, you will smell gas but never see it.

Geronimo

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-24-2008 at 10:00 PM

Watch a NASCAR race,
every race you will see someone spin or crash, kill the engine and a very large lick of flame will come up off the exhaust pipes. (mind you, they don't have mufflers, and the exhaust exits from the headers directly out from under the passenger door)
That is the unburned fuel that has passed by the system, and the hot pipes ignite it.
Best way to snuff it , simply fire up the engine and it will blow out the flame.

But, that gas is getting burned up immediately while the motor is running, so you would not smell it unless the engine suddenly died.
IMO
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 06:18 AM

Thanks again for all of the input. The gas smell has gone away on it's own -- really. I had several people check over weeks and they all smelled gas, then it was gone. The only thing that was done to the car that I can think would effect it was that the muffler wasn't fully connected and was re-attached about 10 days before the gas smell went away.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.