woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The road south of Chapala from hwy1 into San Antonio is a through road to the coast. It connects to the road going east from whats labeled as the well. There are a couple of ranchos on the way. Makes for an interesting loop of about 80+ miles using this road and the one at Chapala.

How good is that road through the Sierra Columbia heading west from Rancho San Antonio to Blanca? I was last on it back in the late 1980's with my dad and mom, and it was so bad we never went back. There is a reason why the map shows the road ending at Antonio :)…. Very pretty country, but it was a long slow trip. There were some nasty stair climbing sections that were almost too steep and off camber to get up, plus deep ruts, potholes, boulders, etc., etc., etc. Some of the Jeepers would love it, but a full size pickup....not.

can you just hear the "SAINTS" standing and cheering?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:49 PM

I was last on the road past San Antonio a couple of years ago. I have driven it several times over the past 15 years both ways in a 93 toyota and in my full size trucks. It does have some rough sections where it comes up the mtn out of the wash and on the mesa after reaching the top is a rock field and very large barrel cactus. I would not recommend a standard two wheel drive, with a locker yea probably OK. If you do have 2-wheel dr I would say go in from hwy1. That way your going down hill and when you hit the wash don't stop. My trucks were all 4x4. The last time I drove it there was three ranchos or houses anyway with people living in them. From hwy1 there is a house on the north hill side about half way to San Antonio. I think the guy that owns it also has a ranch a couple of miles past San Antonio but on a side road off to the right or north. There is a rancho just before San Antonio on the left or south side. There are a couple of roads there and one goes right by the rancho. The last ranch is a little more than half way down the mtn on the left or south side. When you get close to the ocean there is or was an abandoned building just past the jct with the coastal road. I think that is where the well is. The rains could play havoc on the road down the mountain to the wash so I would be cautious in that area.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.