Author: Subject: Clam and Shrimp guns
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AspenMeadowRanch
Baja Nomads
I am sorry about causing such a up roar.I do not no the laws there.All I did was ask a simple question,I am 1450 miles from the boarder.
I am 54 years old, had 4 back operations.I was bed ridden for years.If it wasn't for help from my family I would have been homeless living on the streets.I am not on Social Security Disability.We sold our home and purchased a drug infusion system implanted in my body.( $27,000)
Yes , I still have my aches and pains but I thank God for another shot at life,, being able to walk and enjoy life again. I try to be positive, polite and do not complain.There are others out there who are still bed ridden.I scratch out a living the best I can. We have been saving up and planing this trip for years.If gas prices were not so low we could not do this trip.
Because of all this , I am a more compassionate person and contribute to society. I feel I am a better better person.
Due to my health ,What ever I do is on a limited basis. You do not have to worry about me raping and pillaging the environment and taking income away from the locals.
John

Sorry about your thread going in the crapper Aspen. I guess you could take jdtrotter's advise and not read it but that would pretty much defeat the purpose of posting a question in the first place.

The question was asked and answered. Yes, it's illegal. No, you won't get arrested. Sure, go ahead and dig some up and eat them. There won't be any locals there willing to dig them for you so maybe if you buy something from the guys selling the jewelery etc. it will even out your karma.

Hope you have a great trip, be careful, take lots of pictures and remember to post a trip report.....dt
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
You do not have to worry about me raping and pillaging the environment and taking income away from the locals.
John

Yes, it's illegal. No, you won't get arrested. Sure, go ahead and dig some up and eat them.
dt

John from the e-mails we have shared and knowing where you live, I have no doubt about your last statement. Are you still thinking about the boat idea?

DT---IMHO, that advice could be dangerous depending on the area.

Diane

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
You do not have to worry about me raping and pillaging the environment and taking income away from the locals.
John

Yes, it's illegal. No, you won't get arrested. Sure, go ahead and dig some up and eat them.
dt

John from the e-mails we have shared and knowing where you live, I have no doubt about your last statement. Are you still thinking about the boat idea?

DT---IMHO, that advice could be dangerous depending on the area.

Diane

You're right, I'm sorry, let me try again: No Aspen, never dig your own clams. It's illegal and you can, and probably will be thrown in one of those Mexican jails that we've all heard about. Be sure to buy all of your shellfish from local vendors and be sure to get a "cirtificate of authenticity" assuring that they were caught by locals so that you won't be acused of digging them yourself. Don't drive over the speed limit either, it's illegal too.

I hope I've reversed the wrong that I carelessly committed. Have a great trip Aspen.....dt
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 12:05 PM

Given your health problems, I just want to say that you've made a great decision to visit baja at this time. It will help you 'catch up' on all that you missed during your difficulties. I can only explain it by saying that the world seems more alive when you're down there. Look at Russ's picture this morning in the photo gallery and you'll see what I mean.
AspenMeadowRanch

Mood: Happy- Going to Baja

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 12:09 PM

Passing up on the 24 footer.With my camper on the truck that is too much boat for it.So I am just hauling down my 21 foot Bayliner.
I found a used 24 foot imp with a cuddly cabin,merc # 3 out drive and trailer , with some electronics on the boat in San Diego.The boat is in excellent condition.They are selling it for 3,500.The trailer alone is worth 3.
If anyone is interested I can hook you up with him.
John
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 12:35 PM

What a great way to meet us Nomads. I like the way this subject focuses on our moral and ethical behavior. It really is a big controversial issue.

While I don't think an occasional clam or two will deprive any Mexican, the law is a fact. Now you should decide what the prudent approach should be. That may be a little tough if you are not familiar with Baja.

Breaking laws in Mexico may or may not be something a new arrival to Mex would want to practice. You'll have to be the judge of that.

Mexico has some laws that are just as silly as ours. I actually don't see this law that way.

Growing up in SoCal I was happy to have shellfish regularly.

Children didn't need a license to take. Something happened in the 70s and the shellfish went away. I blamed the Vietnamese who I would regularly see raping the reefs of all living things. That bothered me greatly.

I'm not saying that a few clams will ruin the fishery, rather understand that the Mexican people might have a different opinion about you taking clams........ anywhere in Mexico because it is against the law. It certainly is in a different category than speeding on the hiway.

You have to weigh it out. Don't let some forum junkie decide this for you.

I think the Baja sunshine will help you forget the pain.

Look for clams at the roadside stands in San Quintin, Guerrero Negro. Keep an eye out for signs that say "almejas".

If you find yourself on a deserted beach with huge clams freshly washed up on the beach do what is appropriate.

How's that for staying neutral!:lol::lol:

Welcome to Nomads. Have fun in Baja. No worries please.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
What a great way to meet us Nomads. I like the way this subject focuses on our moral and ethical behavior. It really is a big controversial issue.

While I don't think an occasional clam or two will deprive any Mexican, the law is a fact. Now you should decide what the prudent approach should be. That may be a little tough if you are not familiar with Baja.

Breaking laws in Mexico may or may not be something a new arrival to Mex would want to practice. You'll have to be the judge of that.

Mexico has some laws that are just as silly as ours. I actually don't see this law that way.

Growing up in SoCal I was happy to have shellfish regularly.

Children didn't need a license to take. Something happened in the 70s and the shellfish went away. I blamed the Vietnamese who I would regularly see raping the reefs of all living things. That bothered me greatly.

I'm not saying that a few clams will ruin the fishery, rather understand that the Mexican people might have a different opinion about you taking clams........ anywhere in Mexico because it is against the law. It certainly is in a different category than speeding on the hiway.

You have to weigh it out. Don't let some forum junkie decide this for you.

I think the Baja sunshine will help you forget the pain.

Look for clams at the roadside stands in San Quintin, Guerrero Negro. Keep an eye out for signs that say "almejas".

If you find yourself on a deserted beach with huge clams freshly washed up on the beach do what is appropriate.

How's that for staying neutral!:lol::lol:

Welcome to Nomads. Have fun in Baja. No worries please.

Well put Sharks. I felt the same way but couldn't say it as eloquently as you. Thanks for the best reply so far....dt
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 02:26 PM

What a crock that a foreigner cannot harvest a couple of clams to eat. That peees me off. I can see a person getting into trouble if they are harvesting for commercial purposes, but c'mon. personal consumption it's petty.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 03:43 PM

DK, if you said the world was round the same one's would roundly trash you and insist it's flat. Don't let it stop your posts, there are those of us here who appreciate your input.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 03:49 PM

It does seem trifle but shellfish like abalone and lobster are easily depleted. What was done to Bahia Concepcion was a lesson in "how to destroy a vital fishery). Yes, clams. What went out with the clams were many other species all the way up to apex predators including whales.

I'm not making a comparison with the occasional clam but it's like a good Steelhead hole or mushroom patch. Tell yer friends and they will arrive.

Now if they are really greedy and oblivious they will fill up a truck with em and hand them out to their friends and favorite restaurant. There are many people who exploit natural resources under the guise of "just me".

If you do take them expect to hear complaints if you brag about it. Maybe a little more finesse should be used by those that do.

In other words, keep it to yourselves. No need to promote anything.

It's a fine line sometimes.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 04:31 PM
Shrimp gun?

Works for a small c-cktail.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I wouldn't call it an uproar, more like getting your panties in a bunch.....
it appears that situational ethics could be applied here as denoted by the "list".
If I am on the beach and vendors are selling almejas I am buying. If I am on the beach and such vendors don't exist I am digging....and subsequently eating. I often bring more than I will eat home and toss them into the water in front of my place for a little population boost....

And if Woody and I are the same person than I truly have a cleanly split personality because I really don't have any memories of that;)

how could you forget?:lol::lol:

mar 2006  113.jpg - 43kB

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 03:06 PM

DO YOU HAVE A RECEIPT FOR THAT!?:biggrin:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 03:30 PM

Welcome Aspen!

I'd like to second a couple items already posted-
this is just a forum, full of very good information from people who have been there, done that. Just keep in mind that most of it is peoples' opinions.

The whole illegal harvesting isn't limited to gringos. While staying in La Paz, Mexican men would drive through the community where we were staying (El Comitan) with coolers of seafood in the back of their trucks. We'd purchase some things and our host told us "don't tell anyone you have (?XX?) right now". The obvious indication was that "it" was not in season but was harvested anyway.

And lastly, congrats on fulfilling your dreams with your upcoming Baja trip.
We wish you safe travels, and loads of fun.

keep us posted.....
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2009 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I wouldn't call it an uproar, more like getting your panties in a bunch.....
it appears that situational ethics could be applied here as denoted by the "list".
If I am on the beach and vendors are selling almejas I am buying. If I am on the beach and such vendors don't exist I am digging....and subsequently eating. I often bring more than I will eat home and toss them into the water in front of my place for a little population boost....

And if Woody and I are the same person than I truly have a cleanly split personality because I really don't have any memories of that;)

I do the same - I'm sure there's hundreds of transplanted clams in front of our places!
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2009 at 06:39 PM

i hope you dont see a clam when you look in the mirror!!!
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2009 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Passing up on the 24 footer.With my camper on the truck that is too much boat for it.So I am just hauling down my 21 foot Bayliner.
I found a used 24 foot imp with a cuddly cabin,merc # 3 out drive and trailer , with some electronics on the boat in San Diego.The boat is in excellent condition.They are selling it for 3,500.The trailer alone is worth 3.
If anyone is interested I can hook you up with him.
John

This the one John?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/1001125250.html
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.