Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Panga netters with a diver
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 06:02 AM

Great article, But will they ever enforce it? I have heard of some license and bag limit enforcement in the Mulege area. Maybe they are starting to get the big picture. But why are they picking on the gringo here. It's not the sportfisher that is killing the golden goose.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 08:21 AM

I don't know the commercial fishing laws, but since I have still never seen a panga operator with even a sport fishing licence, it is hard to imagine these guys are operating by commercial rules with a commercial fishing license.

It is, as we all agree, appalling that the fishery is being mauled, but can't PESCA at least enforce the commerical permitting process?

cb

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Russ, I posted about this last year on the fishing reports, here on Nomads, and on bloodydecks. I took some really good quality pictures and went in to the PESCA office in Santa Rosalia and was told by Martin, that everything is totally legal.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 08:38 AM

Hi there,

I agree with all the posts above!!

You can report everything to me or Eco Alianza Loreto. We are closely watching the goings on within our marine park this year and holding the park responsible for their actions. Also we are closely watching PESCA and PROFEPA and we will hold them accountable as well. We are doing this on a grass roots level in Loreto, but we will be happy to also include reports on illegal fishing activity anywhere in BCS.

I have some details in my current Loreto fishing report on what I am referring to off Loreto (areas highlighted in light yellow)
http://www.bajabigfish.com/conv_report.html

Also here is our marine park page and the video of the hukah divers in embedded right at the top. http://www.bajabigfish.com/marinepark.html we are aware that there are problems and now we are in the process of resolving them.

As a private citizen and also as a person in the tourism industry, and as a member of the board and supporter of Eco Alianza Loreto, http://www.ecoalianzaloreto.org I am trying to do my part in conserving our natural resources. I understand the concern that foreign residents and visitors may have in speaking out, so if you have these concerns then please feel free to direct your reports to Eco Alianza or to myself.

Eco Alianza contact information:
http://www.ecoalianzaloreto.org/contact.html

flyfishinpam's contact information:
http://www.bajabigfish.com/contact.html

thank you for bringing up this important topic.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Today I visited an area restaurant that I haven't been to before. Fish served were cabrilla, perico and marlin.

what restaurant has marlin on the menu? I know of one north of town on the beach that had it last time I went but that was last year so will have to check again.

I'm gonna put together a list of restaurants that do not serve marlin and highly recommend our clients and readers only eat at those. By example we can convince them to change their menus.

I would like to also see if there's a way to source out the fish and seafood being served. I know that I had a discussion with the marine park about this when it came to the subject of netted Yellowtail. They told me that nothing like that exists. I brought up having inspectors visit each of the markets that buy the fish in our town and he discouraged me from pursuing it. I think its time to pursue it again.

We're (Eco Alianza) setting up a strategy to receive, record, and archive violations within the park that get reported by private citizens (like some locals who read here). With the paper trail we will take legal action. All of the reports and documentation creates more evidence for our side. We will prevail.

[Edited on 4-27-2009 by flyfishinPam]

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Guess we're all yelling "fire" after the house has burned down.:( But with a lot of help it can be rebuilt.:bounce:

my example is Puerto Escondido. That little place was literally netted to death until Singlar took over and kicked the netters out. After just under a year sans netters, the fishing came right back better than ever. since then, (last June 2008) Singlar has closed the port to all fishing. I can only imagine what's waiting in there for me now!! We can only fish the API waters where the netters have also been booted out. The fishing there is goooooddd.....

Since I became a member of Eco Alianza I have mentioned this example and now studies will be made! At this point we're working on the Loreto Marine Park's new management plan which will be decided in January 2010. Any study from PE regarding the fish recoveries after a long period of netting is valuable information to be considered for the plan.

Our hope is that eventually our work in Loreto will get noticed and replicated elsewhere throughout Mexico.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 09:07 AM

I think that Pam is right that there is some pressure in the area of Loreto but what seems to be happening is that it is just pushing the netters to the north. They seem to be really active from Idelfonso to Tortuga. We do not see much activity north of Santa Rosalia because they have killed that area off many years ago.
The military has taken a very strong position on checking all of the licenses and registration of all boats operating in the area and have even put a damper on the local pangas fishing so I find it surprising that they have not put any kind of a damper on the netting (unless they are all legally registered)
Last year I talked to several groups who were setting up to net and two groups were in fact from the Loreto area.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 10:12 AM

Saturday afternoon, I passed 3 pickup trucks pulling pangas filled with gillnets headed north. We were just past the military checkpoint a few miles out of Loreto.

Naturally, I can't say where they were headed to, or if they were in any way illegal or legal in thier endeavor. I suspect that marine life will suffer no matter the situation.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 02:34 PM

Good on you Pam and all those involved. Sent some help for you.

[Edited on 4-27-2009 by Russ]
Awatson

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 02:56 PM

When this crap will REALLY stop is when the price of fuel costs more than the fish they bring in. Unfortunate, but true, and not far off from what I see.

They mostly get by on triggers and baby sharks from what I see on the mainland north of Guaymas. Below is link to a similar topic on the San Carlos board. This guy is all oer them...just so hard to get anyone interested in enforcing anything.

http://sancarlosmx.mywowbb.com/forum2/6240.html
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 03:00 PM

Awatson, :bounce:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 07:08 PM

I just did an interview with a film crew from La Paz that is making a film about our park, Loreto, development and tourism as well as the environmental concerns. There are good people doing good things and I am hopeful that the people of this town can be convinced that the environmentalists in town are working for them. We discussed the vision of enlarging the size of the park and creating new ones but I said that until we can make the one we have now work, we shouldn't think of enlarging the responsibility of having new ones. If netting can't be controlled here within a national marine sanctuary then how the hell can it be controlled elsewhere? So there is a LOT of attention being made on this park. These are exciting times and we can set an excellent example. I WILL be requesting your help from time to time. Thank you for all your support.

Pam

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.