Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: seiner with helicopter spotter off Loreto
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2009 at 01:41 PM

We saw this seiner fishing today, a short distance north of Coronado Island and the Marine PArk boundary. They were pulling in black skipjack in front of an audience of four pangas.

We saw one manta ray in the net. A crew member went in the water, and with a knife cut the net and released the manta. Thumbs up for that.

I'm a big fan of skippies and hate to see the seiners on them, but I'm one of a very few sport fishermen who appreciates them so I guess the commercials will continue to be allowed to take them.

Currently, however (today through Thursday) the Marine Park is having meeting to revise their management plans. One item being discussed is to expand the park to encompass the entire municipality.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 12:27 AM
Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
We should blow up those boats....:spingrin:

Those are commercial fishing vessels. These people make a living and feed their familes from the proceeds of the catch.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Von
We should blow up those boats....:spingrin:

Those are commercial fishing vessels. These people make a living and feed their familes from the proceeds of the catch.

Ya, the whales, dolphines, sea turtles, marlin, sharks etc...
They sell they rest. And that is all the fish in that area. All of them!
That's a Tuna Clipper. Built for the Pacific.
Why is he fishing that boat in Loreto?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
We saw this seiner fishing today, a short distance north of Coronado Island and the Marine PArk boundary. They were pulling in black skipjack in front of an audience of four pangas.

We saw one manta ray in the net. A crew member went in the water, and with a knife cut the net and released the manta. Thumbs up for that.

I'm a big fan of skippies and hate to see the seiners on them, but I'm one of a very few sport fishermen who appreciates them so I guess the commercials will continue to be allowed to take them.

Currently, however (today through Thursday) the Marine Park is having meeting to revise their management plans. One item being discussed is to expand the park to encompass the entire municipality.

DON I shed tears over that and I reported it. Its difficult for me to discuss right now but NOBODY in official position had their VHF on and complaints via radio went unanswered. My Captain Eulogio phoned me by cell at 11:17 a.m. and I then phoned Eco Alianza. She called the Marine Park (they were not inside the park) and I called PESCA and PROFEPA. They told me they would send a boat.

To make a long and frustrating story short, that boat finally left at 12:52 p.m.

The acts that I physically made at the marina yesterday with these guys would have gotten me a one way ticket back to the USA had I not recently been endowed with citizenship.

I can go on but this is very upsetting for me

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 09:27 AM

DON was this the same seiner that you saw yesterday???? Eulogio's report was they were heading South and fishing about 2 to 3 miles from Coronado!! That is definately illegal.
The results of the check, was that the boat had all the proper paperwork and their hold was checked and everything was legal.

PLEASE! keep in mind the law says that you cannon go withing 250 meters of a commercial boat thats working!!! I hope you have a telephoto lens Bill that guy was looking right at you!

edit- I decided to leave it but "cannon" was really an honest a typo :lol:

[Edited on 6-10-2009 by flyfishinPam]

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
DON was this the same seiner that you saw yesterday???? Eulogio's report was they were heading South and fishing about 2 to 3 miles from Coronado!! That is definately illegal.
The results of the check, was that the boat had all the proper paperwork and their hold was checked and everything was legal.

PLEASE! keep in mind the law says that you cannon go withing 250 meters of a commercial boat thats working!!! I hope you have a telephoto lens Bill that guy was looking right at you!

OK, we saw the boat pull in its net on Tuesday, a couple of miles NORTH of Coronado, outside the park. I don't have an exact location. And yes, it is the same Boat Bill photographed.

On our way in (after the net was pulled) we saw the Park patrol boat heading that way.

[Edited on 6-10-2009 by Don Alley]

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 10:31 AM

Don, I odn't know where to start but we reported that boat at 11:17 a.m. I personally reported it to PROFEPA at 11:22. PROFEPA has no boat. PESCA only has presence of an overworked secretary and the marine park only has one working boat. That boat, the Danzante departed the marina at 12:52 p.m. crap in my panga I can get all the way to Mencenarios within that time! I'm so angry but I cannon believe the slow response. Actually I can believe it but I have missled placed my notes on this gun I'm sure I'll find them somewhere.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 10:41 AM

NOM 029 allows boats under 30 feet that hold commerical permits to fish for shark and rays within ten miles of the shoreline and boats from to 89 feet to fish from 15 miles of the shoreline. The protected area before this regulation was 50 miles.

This is a tuna boat and I doubt they can come in this close.

If that boat was within 3 miles of the shoreline, and the captains know where it was, this rig was in violation of the law. Unfortunately the one functioning panga (from what I was told) the Danzante just happened to be at Isla Montserrate counting bird eggs. It arrived empty of fuel just before noon and that fuel took at least an hour to get. We all know how far away the PEMEX is from there. They were at the ramp waiting for fuel at noon when I checked on them they said thery were waiting for fuel. They departed at 12:52
the Danzante has a 100hp yamaha and is a long slender boat that looks like she can sure cruise at a good pace. in the ideal sea conditions of yesterday at that time if she were ready to be dispatched when the report was made, she would have made it to where the commerical boat was fishing by 11:50am. but they left at 12:52 add on half an hour and by 1:30pm the seiner was certainly beyond the restricted zone and all nice and legal

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Don, I odn't know where to start but we reported that boat at 11:17 a.m. I personally reported it to PROFEPA at 11:22. PROFEPA has no boat. PESCA only has presence of an overworked secretary and the marine park only has one working boat. That boat, the Danzante departed the marina at 12:52 p.m. crap in my panga I can get all the way to Mencenarios within that time! I'm so angry but I cannon believe the slow response. Actually I can believe it but I have missled placed my notes on this gun I'm sure I'll find them somewhere.

Whoa, yes, you sound angry all right.

No working PROFEPA boat, no PESCA boat, one Park boat, and a pile of brand new, crated Honda engines sitting in the marina parking lot, from the government. Something is wrong with that picture.

It boggles my mine that the Park people don't share your passion for the Park and vicinity, and these situations re-inforce the perception that the Park is nothing more than a scam to employ some folks funded with gringo dollars.

I remember earlier in the year a seiner wrapped yellowfin tuna just a couple of miles off San Jose del Cabo and the authorities said it was legal. Then a week later they chased pangas off the same spot and said no one was allowed to fish there.

Sure would be nice to have clear, concise, published fishing regulations.

I submitted some written comments yesterday to the Park on their new management plan, and they are adding a meeting in English for the gringos on Friday, 3:30. I'll email you my comments, about 4 pages of babble.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 12:25 PM

Some stuf on Mexican tuna fleet
"Washington’s refusal to allow Mexican tuna to be certified as ‘dolphin-safe’ because the country’s fishermen are allowed to use encircling, or ‘purse-seine’, nets, which often trap dolphins along with the fish." Source:http://tunaseiners.com/blog/2009/05/dispute-panel-established-in-dolphin-safe-case-despite-us-objections/#more-1080

More on the tuna fleet from the tuna industry side:fire: http://tunaseiners.com/blog/es/gallery/mexican/
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:

Whoa, yes, you sound angry all right.

No working PROFEPA boat, no PESCA boat, one Park boat, and a pile of brand new, crated Honda engines sitting in the marina parking lot, from the government. Something is wrong with that picture.

It boggles my mine that the Park people don't share your passion for the Park and vicinity, and these situations re-inforce the perception that the Park is nothing more than a scam to employ some folks funded with gringo dollars.

I remember earlier in the year a seiner wrapped yellowfin tuna just a couple of miles off San Jose del Cabo and the authorities said it was legal. Then a week later they chased pangas off the same spot and said no one was allowed to fish there.

Sure would be nice to have clear, concise, published fishing regulations.

I submitted some written comments yesterday to the Park on their new management plan, and they are adding a meeting in English for the gringos on Friday, 3:30. I'll email you my comments, about 4 pages of babble.

you missled that one Don :lol:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.