Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja rig
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 09:14 AM
Baja rig

Nomads:

I'm in the process of scouting my next baja rig. After spending a few days with some Alaskan cabover setups I'm convinced that a cabover is the way to go. I am also partial to the popup. Who else makes a good one besides Alaskan? And more importantly what do I need to put that sucker on? Do I need, for example, more than an f150? I am leaning towards a ford. I want a 4 door. I also want an older one, pre 97 I think. That's based on my belief that it will be easier to have moderate repairs done in the middle of nowhere. Is this a sound belief or BS? If you have an opinion on the truck discussion consider this your new sounding board!

yuletide
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 09:30 AM

IMHO any slide-in cabover should ride on at least a 3/4 ton with a transmission cooler.

I had a cabover on a half ton Chevy. I thought everything was fine after I raised and beefed up the suspension. But, one hot day going about 70 north from San Felipe the tranny got so hot the fluid boiled up the dipstic, dripped onto the exhaust manifold and caught fire. It was no fun standing on the side of the road witrh my wife and two dogs watching the truck burn. The insurance company totalled the truck. Be kind to your transmission.

Using a truck that is common in baja is a good idea. I met a guy once in Santispac with a diesel pick-up that was having fuel system problems. He had to take a bus to San Diego to get a part.

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by k-rico]
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 09:58 AM

Four Wheel Popups

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43575#pid4857...

You'll have to do the GVWR math on the F150 but I suspect that the Alaskan is too heavy for a 1/2 ton PU when you add in all your Baja stuff. I would say with a stock half ton you would be limited to about 1500 pounds of camper which would eliminate many. The Four Wheel Popups are lighter than most.

If it were me on somewhat of a budget I would get a 90's F150 or F250 longbed with the big 300 Inline 6 w/ manual tranny. and put in a Four Wheel Grandby popup.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Four Wheel Popups

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43575#pid4857...

You'll have to do the GVWR math on the F150 but I suspect that the Alaskan is too heavy for a 1/2 ton PU when you add in all your Baja stuff. I would say with a stock half ton you would be limited to about 1500 pounds of camper which would eliminate many. The Four Wheel Popups are lighter than most.

If it were me on somewhat of a budget I would get a 90's F150 or F250 longbed with the big 300 Inline 6 w/ manual tranny. and put in a Four Wheel Grandby popup.
I'll second the older F250 with the six. I had a 1981 with a 4 speed manual and it was the best damn truck I've ever had. Now I have a 2000 F350 Powerstroke and all I do is work on it.
chernefitter
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 11:44 AM

I have always had f150"s myself...Maybe because of the smooth ride. But if your main concern is using it for a camper set-up go with the 250. Get one with the factiry tow package that way you have a beefier radiator,alternator and the tranny cooler. Plus the hitch if you ever need that to pull a trailer with some toys. IMHO. :cool:
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 12:31 PM

My Baja rig is an '89 F250 4x4, 460ci motor (first year fuel injected), mild lift, oversize tires and rims, and a camper shell. Yes, I think a pop up camper would be more comfortable, but I can load up my truck with gear and still lock it up. And I can sleep in the back as well with a padded and carpeted bed. Paint looks like crap, but that's part of "flying under the radar". I think you're on the right track with a Ford F250 to carry a camper. No sense overloading an F150. If you're thinking gas milage, you won't do much better with the overloaded F150 than with the F250. Good luck with your search! Let us know when you get it!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 12:34 PM

I'll join the crowd and suggest going with the 3/4 ton. I've progressed from 1/2 to 3/4 and then F350 and will probably drop back to an F250. You'll need to beef up the suspension of an F150 taking away some of the smoother ride, but you'll still have a lot of other lighter components that will stress and break if you are near the load limit. Just because they say you can haul 1500 lbs doesn't mean you want to do it more than occasionally. I've had the cracked wheel bearings to prove it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.