Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tires question
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2010 at 02:35 PM

Getting ready to get my 4th set of Toyos. The first set were A/Ts. A very smooth and quiet tire. Pretty good in deep sand and wet pavement. Not so good at gravel, snow or mud or rocks.
The last 2 sets of Toyo M/Ts have not failed me once. Although I occasionally pick up nails that is the only problem I've had.:lol:

M/Ts, Great all around tire. Low noise, great off-road traction, except watch loose gravel with hi-inflation. Awesome in mud, snow, pretty good in sand if deflated properly.Good adhesion on hard surfaces. Low chunking on rocky terrain. Suprisingly smooth and quiet at hi speeds. .
A well balanced tire.

Average about 30k miles per set but they still have at least another 10k on the tread.

I think the M/Ts have a harder rubber or at least they seem to work/road harden as they age.:yes:

I drive a variety of on-road and off-road conditions and have been very happy with them.
40-45psi or 18-20psi

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 12:32 AM

I have run the TrXus MT tires for the past 100,000 miles on my Rubicon and what an incredible Baja tire!!

I want to try the new GoodYear MT/R with Kevlar or I will go with another set of Interco TrXus MT tires.

I have run the BFG MT and AT/KO in Baja, and I was not satisfied with the traction in wet dirt with the AT/KO. I enjoy driving on rocks and snow, so the All-Terrain wasn't very e0ntertaining for my style of Baja travels. On dry dirt roads, the AT/KO tires slipped (YIKES!) on the dirt road from Mike's Sky Rancho to Rancho El Coyote. This could have caused FATAL results, and I will never drive an All-Terrain tire near cliffs that are not aired-down for better traction.

Running the TrXus MT in Baja

Blown BFG MT/KM getting switched for a TrXus MT tire.:lol:

The Goodyear Kevlar MT/R is LIGHTER in weight than the Toyo MT - look for yourself. Plus, the tire is LOWER PRICED than most others. I'm giving this tire a good look over when I look at replacing my TrXus MT tires.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 01:00 AM

Nice aggressive tread. Are those directional tires??

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 01:14 AM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/272187-new-goodyear-mtr-kevlar-2.html

Here's the thread where you can follow along...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Nice aggressive tread. Are those directional tires??

Directional Tire:

Directional designs are recognized by the grooves in the tread that swipe away in a backward angle from the center of the tread face and rotate in only one direction. A direction of rotation arrow is located on both sidewalls of the tire. Directional tires enhance straight-line acceleration, provide maximum dry traction, and better wet performance which helps to reduce rolling resistance as well as providing shorter stopping distances.

Once you mount these MTRs on your rims, it doesn't matter which corner you place them on because the inside will always be facing in (unless you take them off the rim of course). Functionally, they are no different than any other un-directional tire.

The asymmetrical (not symmetrical) tread design looks directional, but Goodyear says the tires are NOT directional, can run either way and have been tested that way. For those like us who don't like white lettering, the new MTR with Kevlar might disappoint, as many sizes will have white outline lettering. That means white outline letters out, ready to be scraped into white sidewalls by rocks. The larger sizes (up to 42") will have black lettering, so will be fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side by side comparison with RED ARROWs pointing to outside:
With the OWL either out or in, the direction of lugs (inside and outside) stays the same. Even though they are asymetric. I have confidence GY stating that it would not matter which side you run (as long youre consistent with the rim placement), I would run it with the two big lugs out from the 1st picture just to be comfortable.

Edit: If there are no indication on the tire which is in or out you can look at the second picture in how it would look with the arrow pointing inside with the tow big lugs outside. But as you can see if thats the case, the two outside lugs would be different direction from the left side of the truck (compared to the first top picture). Making it seem they are supposed to be directional.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 01:39 AM

I don't know how much lighter those tires are but most of the weight can lie in the rim. A substantial rim is required for BIG vehicles with BIG tires.

Small vehicles like Jeeps suffer more wear and tear when running big meats. Hell, my old Power Wagon has gone though many sets of wheel bearings, tie-rod ends, ball-joints etc.

Fortunately bearings and the like are well proven and suited for multiple applications and are not rocket science to replace.:bounce:

If you run oversize tires they will ewventually exact a toll on related hardware upsteam, it's a matter of simple physics.:) Don't believe these guys that say they never experience wear and failure. You'll notice DK keeps his tire size down, though I don't know if he would put BIG tires on his rig if he actually owned it.:lol:

Anyhoo the trade off is not getting stuck as easy or going places not suited to lower profile vehicles with smaller tires. The down side is navigating or attempting to navigate those old narrow Jeep tracks and low branches!;)

Non-directional tires have a few obvious advantages Ken, I think it would be foolish to use these tires for hiway use. I can imagine they are great off-road tires.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 01:43 AM

Well Ken I've run many non and directional over many many years. Those treads IMHO will not behave the same if they are reversed. How could they. That looks pretty obvious to me but what do I know!:lol:

Non-directional tires have concentric reversible treads/tires. Non-directional tires have lugs which must be mounted with the arrow pointing proper installation. Wty the hell else would they put an arrow on them? Good grief!!!:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-13-2010 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 09:05 AM

I always have purchased tires that matched the size of the ones the truck came with... in my case the Tacoma TRD Off Road uses 265/70-16s. I have not found anyplace in Baja that a bigger tire would have made any difference...The road to Mision Santa Maria is the bench mark for ground clearance and tire character since it has all terrains (except snow): sand, rock, mud...

The first time I drove a truck in there (2003), I had Futura Dakotas (made by Cooper for Pep Boys... They changed the name from Futura to Destiny, since then). These are very inexpensive all terrain tires recommended to me by Bedman. They lasted only 25,000 miles but were pro-rated to 50,000 so the next set were 50% off...

The second time (2007), I had Cooper Discoverer STTs, a great looking mud terrain tire, that never got a flat or failed in mud (Laguna Salada) or rocks (Santa Maria), but was way noisy and terrible in sand (I renamed them grave diggers). They lasted up to 40,000 miles.... (I don't let tires get to smooth before replacing them... On my first Tacoma, I got way too many flats once the tire's meat was thin.

After the STT noisy grave diggers, I had a set of Toyo Open Country A/Ts and a set of Cooper Discoverer ATRs... both were good, quiet truck tires and did fine in the sand...

When it's time to get new tires for my 2010 Tacoma (that comes with BFG Rugged Trail T/As), I am thinking of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs... ??

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 11:01 AM

Correction to DK's Tire Height Calculation of 2/8/10

Change in Bold and size

>>> To figure the height of the tire in inches:

The rim (16") plus the two sidewall heights 14.6" (7.3 + 7.3) = 30.6 inches tall. Since bigger is better, we men round up to say 31 inches! :lol:

Brought to you by Friends of BFG :lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 01:31 PM
There's a few places in Baja where a 35" tire can be optimized

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I have not found anyplace in Baja that a bigger tire would have made any difference...The road to Mision Santa Maria is the bench mark for ground clearance and tire character since it has all terrains (except snow): sand, rock, mud...

I have found a few places in Baja where a 35" tire isn't required, but make travel much easier...

Caņon Enmedio - Pole Line Road (outside of Mexicali, Baja, Mexico)

Smuggler's Canyon (outside of Tecate, Baja, Mexico)

This guy was running 35" BFG MT/KMs, and he still had a bear of a time climbing this loose rock outcropping.

35" tires allow you to take fancier lines as well.

Smaller tires=bigger rocks (in Baja)

Regardless, the Rubicon's w/33s and with 35s all had a great time on the trail that day in Tecate (photo in Tecate, CA).

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 09:03 AM

where is bajacrawlers located out of? any early broncos in that club?

I agree baja has lots and lots of places were a stock 4x4 truck might as well be a 2wd truck. I am locked and running 33" daily and 35" when I want to play.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
where is bajacrawlers located out of? any early broncos in that club?

I agree baja has lots and lots of places were a stock 4x4 truck might as well be a 2wd truck. I am locked and running 33" daily and 35" when I want to play.

Unfortunately, Baja Crawlers has ceased to exist:
http://www.baja4x4.org/foro/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10548

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I always have purchased tires that matched the size of the ones the truck came with... in my case the Tacoma TRD Off Road uses 265/70-16s. I have not found anyplace in Baja that a bigger tire would have made any difference...The road to Mision Santa Maria is the bench mark for ground clearance and tire character since it has all terrains (except snow): sand, rock, mud...

As always, IT DEPENDS-----------My F-250 4x4 came with 235 85x16's M&S (reads "narrow") and much to my embarrassment I was always burying it on some beach in Baja, having to rely on my winch or somebody else to get me off the beach. When I shifted tires to 285 75 x 16 M&S (reads "fat") I gained some elevation & slightly higher gearing, but mainly I no longer was getting stuck on the beaches, and the ride was much more comfortable.

By the way, I have not encountered any mechanical problems with this "upgrade", and have put about 50K miles since going to the bigger tire. I did have a professional alignment shop to the work on my front end to make sure it was all aligned correctly, including the proper wheels with proper off-sets.

Granted, most vehs. designed for 4x4 travel lately are coming with much wider tires than in the past, and in that sense what David says makes a lot of sense. My 2007 X-terra came with 265 75X 16 tires, and that size works just fine, and I would not change tire size unless I somehow morphed into a serious rock-crawler like Ken. :o:lol:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:04 AM

Yes Barry... I agree with what you did with the Ford... I was just stating that the tires Toyota (and Nissan) put on our 4WD Off Road trucks don't really need to be bigger to do the job. I may go to a 75 apect ratio from the 70 to gain a half inch in ground clearance... when I replace the BFGs.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:22 AM

When it's time to get new tires for my 2010 Tacoma (that comes with BFG Rugged Trail T/As), I am thinking of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs... ??

Can you buy those tires in Baja? i've never seen them for sale down here.

Barry A. wrote;

As always, IT DEPENDS-----------My F-250 4x4 came with 235 85x16's M&S (reads "narrow") and much to my embarrassment I was always burying it on some beach in Baja, having to rely on my winch or somebody else to get me off the beach. When I shifted tires to 285 75 x 16 M&S (reads "fat") I gained some elevation & slightly higher gearing, but mainly I no longer was getting stuck on the beaches, and the ride was much more comfortable.

I just did the same thing to my f250 heavy duty diesel. 235 to 285 bfg mt. Bigtime improvement both on and off the road.

my Toyota 4runner runs 31" bfg at, instead of the stock 28" tires. This is an improvement offroad in 4lo, but the truck now needs to be regeared from 4.10 to 4.88 gears. It is now gutless, and needs to be whipped in order to accelerate
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:29 AM

Yes Barry... I agree with what you did with the Ford... I was just stating that the tires Toyota (and Nissan) put on our 4WD Off Road trucks don't really need to be bigger to do the job. I may go to a 75 apect ratio from the 70 to gain a half inch in ground clearance... when I replace the BFGs.

In the sand, the difference isn't the ground clearance it's the footprint in which you distribute the weight. the wider you go the more you float.

On my 66 bronco, I run 33" eldorado zr4(read cheap 2-ply) at 8psi when in the sand. I can run all day long in 2wd even climbing modertly steep dunes with a little speed and 400 ponies, I am running a detroit locker in the rear differential as well. This makes for a nice rooster tail and an empty gas tank...but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun.:lol:

when I go where there are rocks or other terrain that will kill a tire I run 35" BFG MTS/KM.

On my Diesel I run 285 75 16 bfg mt km2

I am a BFG guy, for the sole fact I can replace them in baja. I am a full timer in BCS and am not about to drive to SD to buy a set of tires.

If I was closer to the border or in CA I would be running Swamper iroc's or TSL's like Ken runs.

[Edited on 5-23-2010 by classicbajabronco]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.