Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 05:48 PM
I Like the Red Slippers, It Speaks to My Inner Dorothy

The fire stuff, not so much.

[Edited on 6-1-2010 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 05:55 PM

Oh My Goodness!

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 06:23 PM

It's all good.. and will see how many of the place I can give a try.... :):)

skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 10:10 AM

Jan
Thanks for all your lists.
We have now tried all your places except Otto's. Does anyone have additional info on finding this place. I am intrigued!

We have tried a couple newer places North of Rosarito that might deserve a try. An American woman named Ana and her Mexican husband Jesse just opened a nice breakfast /lunch place called Baja Country. Beautiful ambiance even though it over looks the highway. Had great biscuits and gravy. Very Americanized (not what every wants when coming down here!) We will be making this a regular as it is close for us. it is just South of Baja Malibu and across the highway.

Another place on this end that is now worthy of a mention is Fabrizzio (new owner) in fact the brothers who run the place mentioned they are going to change the name . This is a Italian style place with kind of a funky/swanky interior and a very reasonable menu. I love all the salads. Often I am craving salad down here and sometimes reluctant to order them. I have tried 4 of their 6 salads and had no remorse! The Chipolte Fettucini is also amazing. This place is at the entrance to SADM right next to the defunct La Costa (how I wish they were still in business)

Keep up with your reviews. Splash being one of our favorites now. We agree with your comment about best Sea bass especially for $10.00

Going to start on Jan's TJ list now! Would love to know from those who have been to several of Jan's picks which one you recommend to try first. We are okay with all price ranges so would love to know your top pick!

Lori
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 09:58 AM

I had a burger at Pepe's last night that was incredible. I know no-one comes to Baja for a burger- but these give in-n-out a run for the money. Seriously. Try the bacon/avoc/cheese or Hawaiian. Can't describe them fully- huge, layers of flavors and sauces, sauteed toppings- way beyond what you would expect from a roadside stand (except for the very cheap price). If you thought you knew hot dogs before the more exotic Mexican versions won you over- this is the same idea. Pepe's is on the same block as the Waldo's in central Rosarito Beach on Benito Juarez Blvd. (across from La Quinta) and looks like what it is- a hamburger stand.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I had a burger at Pepe's last night that was incredible. I know no-one comes to Baja for a burger- but these give in-n-out a run for the money. Seriously.

That's high praise. The final analysis will be the fat and cholesterol comparison. The highest number is the winner.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
I'm hoping they make it.

I hope so too. Opening a restaurant down here these days is a real gamble.
Out here in PB, it can be like people just don't open their eyes. There isn't enough business to support the few restaurants already here and people keep opening them.
Here today...Gone mañana. It's a shame.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
I'm hoping they make it.

I hope so too. Opening a restaurant down here these days is a real gamble.
Out here in PB, it can be like people just don't open their eyes. There isn't enough business to support the few restaurants already here and people keep opening them.
Here today...Gone mañana. It's a shame.

and no shortage of drinking holes in PB to be sure. You think there's a correlation between the number of bars and restaurants a youth-focused neighborhood like PB can sustain?

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I had a burger at Pepe's last night that was incredible. I know no-one comes to Baja for a burger- but these give in-n-out a run for the money. Seriously.

That's high praise. The final analysis will be the fat and cholesterol comparison. The highest number is the winner.

The Pepes burger has to be at least double the fat of a double-double combo- without the fries and shake. Double the size too and for sure double the flavor complexity. I usually "deconstruct" something this good to see where the flavor levels are- but I couldn't get myself to tear this one a apart- every bite was perfect and I didn't want to mess with it. Maybe the next one...

I had been good about doing my low-carb thing to drop some may-gray pounds- but was weak last night and actually ate the bun because it had so much sauce and flavors. The scale this morning says it added four pounds. guilt. guilt. LOL

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
and no shortage of drinking holes in PB to be sure. You think there's a correlation between the number of bars and restaurants a youth-focused neighborhood like PB can sustain?

You must be talking about Pacific Beach, Woooosh. I'm talkin' Punta Banda.
skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 08:09 PM
new place across from Oceana??

Bajaeng-
the only place we have eaten at across from Oceana is Arcel's.
Great breakfast and very reasonable. Is that the "new place you are refering to?
If so music and outside dining is certainly a is a new addition will have to go back there. Liked the food and service just the ambiance was a bit to sterile so the changes sound great.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You must be talking about Pacific Beach, Woooosh. I'm talkin' Punta Banda.

was youth-focused the clue... and yeah, I was. :bounce:

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Pepes burger has to be at least double the fat of a double-double combo- without the fries and shake. Double the size too and for sure double the flavor complexity. I usually "deconstruct" something this good to see where the flavor levels are- but I couldn't get myself to tear this one a apart- every bite was perfect and I didn't want to mess with it. Maybe the next one...

I had been good about doing my low-carb thing to drop some may-gray pounds- but was weak last night and actually ate the bun because it had so much sauce and flavors. The scale this morning says it added four pounds. guilt. guilt. LOL

YOU CAN ALWAYS JUST CHALK IT UP TO THE JUNE GLOOM AND ENJOY THE REST OF THE MONTH WITH GREAT BURGERS :lol::lol: The July on heat will melt off a few of those pounds.....

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 09:34 AM
Now were talkin

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, this too is true... :):)

And now that you have my full undivided attention.... I'm getting hungry .... :):) there must be some reason to have my wife drive us up to Rosarito.. burgers sounds like a good enough one, but for real entertainment, would like to drop by the Telnor office to discuss internet connection speed...... or to congratulate Tenlnor on my new record setting connect of 30.1 kbs .... I really want to ask how they are able to squeeze down the bandwidth of customers this far without a revolt.. I've always been cheap and slow .. but these folks have have taken it to another level .. :lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by wessongroup]

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
And now that you have my full undivided attention.... I'm getting hungry ... must have a reason to drive up the road.. :):)

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by wessongroup]

Well bring me a couple of em too!!!!!!!!!! With Fries please...:lol::lol:

krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2010 at 06:54 PM

update here-The old Arcels is now the Oceana Restaurant, and Fabrizzios is now Gusta-they are both great
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2010 at 08:18 PM

thanks forgot about this.... :lol::lol:

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-15-2010 at 07:25 AM

Good burgers? Actually GREAT burgers in Ensenada. Icarus Wings. They even make their own hamburger buns daily. Located on Ambar near 29 de Noviembre. Open from 1:00 - 8:00 Tues-Thurs, open till 11:00 on Friday and Saturday, Sundays until 7:00.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.