Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Truck Security - Kill Switches
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 02:48 PM

We have just pulled the fuel pump relay and taken it with us on our new 4Runner. Have to pop the hood, lift the fuse/relay box lid, and pull it out. Car won't start. Its a special little relay specific to the 4Runner so I bought a backup in case I lose the original. It's hidden somewhere in the car. Like the kill switch idea but didn't want to drill the new truck. Later when it gets rocked up.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
It's hidden somewhere in the car.

Can't remember where you hid it, can you, Jack. :lol::lol:
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 08:06 PM

How did you know, Dennis? But my wife knows, thankfully.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 06:40 AM

Ken, not a bad setup on the nohotwire.com may put that one on too. Will definately consider it for my truck since the truck and jeep are paid for and the dang insurance companies always have a gimick, huh. Later-- bajafun777
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 12:09 PM

I cut the wires leading from the coil to the dizzy and put in male/female terminal connection encased in a oversized wire protector. when I leave the truck I disconnect this connection and it'll turn over but never catch.

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
We have just pulled the fuel pump relay and taken it with us on our new 4Runner. Have to pop the hood, lift the fuse/relay box lid, and pull it out. Car won't start. Its a special little relay specific to the 4Runner so I bought a backup in case I lose the original. It's hidden somewhere in the car. Like the kill switch idea but didn't want to drill the new truck. Later when it gets rocked up.

Now that you found the fuel pump relay, just find the wire that powers the relay and put your kill switch on that side of the relay circuit, locate it inside the cab.:light:
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:27 AM

fishabductor , what's a "dizzy"?
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 01:23 PM
Kill switch

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
In my opinion, all those things help-------but a professional can defeat them all. Basically, the use of clubs, and the like, will discourage kids, amatuers and joy-riders, but NOTHING can help much with a professional. (witness the recent aircraft thefts).

Myself, I use "the club" on all my vehicles parked out of my garage each and every night. So far so good, but I live in Redding, CA and not in Baja.

Barry

I agree with Barry- the club is the best to use. I had a kill switch fail and it was a problem. A DMV officer told me the club was the most reliable to use to prevent theft but it is sure not a guarantee. Carry an extra club key!

bacquito
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 01:34 PM

That red club is a pain to use and store.
Why not just get better insurance that covers theft?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 11:09 AM

TecateRay, questions on the fuel pump relay kill switch. Hope you don't mind.

There are alot of people who use a kill switch to interrupt the starter, but that seems to me to be pretty useless on a manual shift vehicle since all a thief has to do is push start the car/truck unless you do it like Fishabductor does (his post on 6/17 - I still don't know what a "dizzy" is).

I have been researching the kill switch issue relentlessly for the past month 'cause I have to put one on my truck.

Does it matter which wire you put the switch in: the wire to the fuel pump relay or the wire leading away from the relay? Does it matter what kind of switch device you use concerning its amperage/current capacity? If so, what amperage/current capacity is recommended?

Also, have you heard of using pressure switches that may be hidden in the inside roof underliner or in the driver side door panel that my be activated by the owner/driver with the touch of the hand in a place on those surfaces that only the owner/driver would know?

Finally, in and among the relay switches there is an EFI relay switch (if and only if you have Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)on your vehicle). Is that the same as the fuel pump relay? If not, wouldn't that one be just as effective to apply the kill switch to (if not more so than) the fuel pump? Thanks in advance for any input

[Edited on 6-29-2010 by MitchMan]
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Mitchman,
The wire leading to the relay is usually a lower amperage circuit and the safer one to "switch". The relay is actually a secondary electronic switch that takes a small signal, sets, and then passes a higher power (amp) flow of electricity to the next device in line, in this case the pump. Sounds to me like the EFI relay would have the same end effect by preventing the car from starting.

If you have a friend with some automotive electrical knowledge or can find a shop that specializes in auto electrics they should be able to help you find the right wire to disable your vehicle.

A couple of cautions:
1. Use a strong enough switch to handle the voltage and amperage for the circuit. My auto expert friend told me a horror story about a young woman who had a shop put in a kill switch - that switch was too "light" to handle the volts/amps and it short circuited, killed the engine while she was on the freeway - she died in the ensuing accident.
2. If I forget to reset my kill switch and crank the engine I sometimes get a warning light, I checked the codes and it is the fuel pressure low code. It usually resets after two or three restarts. Needless to say, I'm much more careful about resetting the switch after a few of these episodes. The first time it happened was down south of El Rosario and I was pretty nervous, new truck and all, not knowing what the light was for.

On the pressure switch question - I have never used one, I just put my toggle switch in an out of the way place. The kill switch just makes the car harder to steal, not impossible. also remember that you need to be able to conveniently set and reset the switch without being too obvious in case the car thief is watching you as you park.

I also have a commercial starter interrupt system by KARR alarms that operates by an extra key fob. Their new systems are more sophisticated and I believe they only sell through new car dealers. Two systems might be "over kill", no pun intended, but it just helps me sleep better when I'm parked in suspect areas, either side of the border.

[Edited on 6-29-2010 by MitchMan]
:yes:
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 09:12 AM

Thanks, TecateRay. Very helpful.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.