BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Marlin / big Tuna on a 12' Zodiac ?
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 03:46 PM

Bruno:
From your Words you have had a lot of experience and time on the Sea Of Cortez.

One of the things the Poster might miss in his 12 Ft Rubber Boat is the ability to go way out and say fish the line from Catalana to Pt. Lobos for yellowfin, Marlin, and Sailfish in October.

If your Boat is more stable you can do some things that you are unable to do in a Rubber Boat.

Anyway I give the guy a lot of credit going out and fishing in that thing.

I would also suggest to him that he spend some time with some of the old Time Mexicano fisherman and learn the water and Fish Habits. It will make his fishing more Productive!!

Anyway you go have a great time.

Skeet
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 04:48 PM

Thanks for the advise guys..I have lot of time to learn that area before i will do the ride offshore with that dinghy...Any way i will defiantly rig it to do the gob on the big pelagic and go for it as soon I will feel comfortable to do it safe.

Thanks again for the advise.
Amir
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 05:30 PM

Rigid hull inflatables are quite a bit more sea worthy than the old inflatable keel type Zodiacs. If you use the internet and local knowledge you can get a pretty good idea of what the wind conditions will be on any given day, if you use common sense you will have no problem fishing the Gordo banks in your inflatable boat. It will be a half hour run in flat conditions, if you start seeing white caps on the horizon start running back. Go for it and have a good time.
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 05:58 PM

monoloco has it right....that time of year, if it looks lousy it will get worse. Stay inside going North, if it's still ok then go for it, if not stay inside and ride the wind home. It will blow from the North til June. If the tin boat navy had a place to launch and camp at La Playita, Gordo Banks would be solid tin boats most morning. You'll have a great time even if you can't get out there and you'll find plenty to keep you happy closer.
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 12:26 PM

Run for shore as soon as you think the wind may come up. Otherwise enjoy the fishing. Near Punta Chivato we watched a guy in a small inflatable catching a sailfish. While he was doing this several other sailfish were circling the boat with their sails up. Quite the sight. I assume he was able to catch and release the sailfish, we were soon too busy with a double hookup on sailfish and had to take care of business ourselves.
GrOUper-GAr
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
the wind can come up mighty fast on the soc.

And that goes for just about any large body of water.

Listen to MULEGE-MIKE and SKEET.
the Wind/marine conditions in SOC/Cabo are WAY less predictable and frequently WAY more Gnarly than what is encountered here in Southern Califoria. A small boaters experience in SoCal doesn't immediately translate to southern Baja.

an ImpracTical TEST yes, but:
The News ladies are predicting a Santa Ana Wind early next week here (SoCal). Try going out 9 miles, turn off your 15hp, pull out your 1 paddle, and ROW yer F'n Brains out. You will be WHERE EVER the wind blows you.
Instant-life-on-the-line.
(a serious wake up Call)

---------Gordo Banks/ Solo / 10ft blow up Dingy ?------

By the time you are at the Gordo Banks and a North wind fires up. the reality IS: you are now fishing 200 miles offshore... ... MAZATLAN !

How safe it is to fish the Gordo banks on a small dinghy in a good weather day (you ask)?
With this question,
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK,
You're in too deep.

-GrOUpEr

! PrEFeRiR!A eSTaR eN baJa !
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 12:42 AM

Thank you guys, After i read your comments its really sound like a big deal to make it to the Gordo on a 10' inflatable, After so many outing 60 mile plus on my 19' center console in southern California waters its feel doable to me to make the 7 mile run out on the 10' dinghy, look like you guys prove me wrong and I trust yours experience.

How about make it only in a PERFECT weather days w/no wind or less than 10 knots ?

[Edited on 10-23-2010 by amirravon]
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 12:49 AM

The funny thing about my first post was that my main concern was a marlin puncture the dinghy with his bill, lol

[Edited on 10-23-2010 by amirravon]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 04:09 AM

I think it would be a high adventure to do in your dink but at least have a buddy boat close so you can pull the plug if conditions change fast.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 06:23 AM

The last five years, during two weeks of Thanksgiving in Cabo, I've watched the sun rise and the fishing fleet come out of the harbor (with binoculars) and head in every direction of the compass. I've seen days when only the "large" boats go out. Not once during those days have I seen anything smaller than the 22' panga go out. I've seen the seas in bad shape suddenly come up, and the boat's 'fighting' to get back to the marina with huge waves. I've only got one thing to say with NO dingy experience, if you have a family, and love them, take out an extra life insurance policy. Your idea sounds very foolish to me. One of the suggestions was to hang out at the marina and befriend a fellow boater. Maybe you could crew/fish with them.
A thrill is one thing. One upset usually is final!!!!!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 06:55 AM

Little boats on big water are a recipe for disaster.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 07:02 AM

Hey Amir...you crazy bugger...like others have said, when you get to Cabo and start hanging out at the marina and getting to know boat owners, I'm pretty sure you will be able to score a crew position and learn more about the fishing techniques in that area.

Now about the SEMI rigid hull...does that mean it has wood floorboards or does it have a fiberglass bottom/hull? I spent many hours in a small inflatable on the west coast of vancouver island in very snotty weather and they are seaworthy...wet, scary and bouncy but even taking water over the bow with the drain plugs out, they can handle big stuff and don capsize easily. The do puncture so it is important to know if you have communicating chambers so if one happens to deflate, you still are afloat with other chambers...zodiac brand has this feature and some cheaper knock offs do not.

A good VHF handheld in a waterproof jacket MAY save your life. There is alot of vessel traffic there so chances are someone will be around to rescue you in the event of danger. Also make sure you tell someone on shore where you are going and about when you will be back so if you are stuck out there, someone knows about where to look for you.

You are going to have a grand adventure amigo...keep in touch y suerte!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:28 PM
update from SJDC

I almost forget about this post , After 2 months in SJDC and 3 more months head , visiting the inner and outer gordo banks almost every day catching and realise 4 striped marlin (one try to charge the dinghy), 2 wahoo , 8 yellow fin tuna, about 15 dorado, lots of skippys, tens of sierra. toro, dog snapers, and bonitos plus lots of close encounters with sharks and wheals...and one solo two day trip to Cabo san Lucas, I can say is safe to do it with a 10' dinghy if you have some on the water experience on one of the big oceans. I spent every day more than 6 hours except 2 days with strong northern winds. weather here is very good and the wind is calm in the early morning hours...clean blue water, great sunrises and sunsets. I will post a detailed trip report w /pictures as soon I will have a good internet connection . Thanks for the advise dear baja nomads...Happy new year and if you around the puerto los cabos marina you welcome for a cold one....

P.S
Sorry for my poor English

Amir

R.I.P Carlos Fiesta R.I.P Carlos Fiesta
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:44 PM

BTW Shari, You are so right . I really have a "grand adventure"
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 08:25 PM

I have a rig that is a duplicate of the one used in "The Baja Catch".

Taking it past 3 miles from shore....wont happen! The winds kick in without notice and then the swells are right there before you can say "let's get the hell out of here".

This Viking has screamed like a little girl a few times, out there in the unpredictable Sea of Cortez.

Please be careful.

[Edited on 12-31-2010 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 08:40 PM

Thanks for the advise Viking. I already find out today afternoon how unpredictable is the sea of cortez, and learn the lesson very good. I have never was so happy before to make it to the marina like today( wet and tired). The yellow tails are here in Los Cabos and I'm happy and safe.

Thanks again.

Amir
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 11:48 PM

I had faith in you and your dingy, Amir. Sounds like you have had a lot of fun and caught a bunch of nice fish. With any adventure, there will always be people who will say that it can't be done, that it's too dangerous, and that you are a fool--then, there are all the people before you who have done it, had a blast, and lived to tell the tales. Now, you have some more great tales to tell.

Good times and enjoy the new year.

Bruno

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 08:01 AM

i had a buddy fishing offshore abreojos in his inflatable. he went out pretty far and the wind came up. he said it scared the %#$& out of him. everytime he turned for shore the wind would pick up the bow and whip him around facing the horizon as he had no weight in the bow. he finally rigged up his rod to extend the tiller? and was able to lay in the front to hold the bow down into the wind and make his way to shore. he says, with the terror still in his eyes, there was a bouy out there that he used for a marker and for 15 minutes he was loosing ground while wide open, literally being blown out to see with the engine screaming for shore.

he lived. but he got rid of the inflatable....:lol:

[Edited on 1-2-2011 by woody with a view]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.