Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Questions for experienced tin boaters
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 09:17 PM

Without a ramp you must be driving your vehicle into the water. That kind of stuff scares me personally, even with the 4WD. I see a lot of hard packed sand at low tide but am too chicken to drive out on it.

It's not a problem for us now that we have launching wheels.

BTW, Martyman, those launch wheels raise the back end a foot off the sand and small waves roll right under the hull during takeout.

I agree with you: getting water slapped over the transom is a major headache. The more water gets in the more difficult it is to move that thing. And the tougher it is to move the more water comes in. Been there and done that. It's a situation I make every effort to avoid.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 07:07 PM

I have the flip down spare. I back the boat to the water (never get my truck wet), unhitch the trailer, and push the rig out to sea until it floats. After getting the boat off and anchoring it, I tie some pull ropes to the trailer and yank it back out. A little wet but none the worse for wear. I used to use my hitch extension but I find it easier just to shove the whole rig out to sea. And sometimes the extension is not long enough so it's an exercise in frustration. I can do the same routine to retrieve it if necessary but I try to work the tides instead.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:59 PM

I've seen D/V in operation and it's sweet.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 05:12 PM

You're too kind...

What the heck is your avatar? I stare at it and can't figure it out, but I have the eery feeling it is looking back at me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 05:28 PM

I think it's a spider.

BTW last night I looked at the specs of your 19 footer and it said 725lb. Let's assume the trailer is 200lbs. That means you're rolling out 1000lbs into the surf on your own. It seems like an awful lot and would require a firm bottom to pull it off. I'm interested because having a large boat and preserving the versatility of a small boat would be great.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 06:01 PM

I always thought it would be cool to design a trailer that you could switch around to launch the boat bow first into the surf.
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:48 PM

Does anybody have any Baja experience with the larger, welded aluminum boats like the North River or similar. The specs show a very beefy bottom that would appear to hold up against the beach sand better than fiberglass. Also, many are using an I/O Jet, views or comments? JH
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic
Does anybody have any Baja experience with the larger, welded aluminum boats like the North River or similar. The specs show a very beefy bottom that would appear to hold up against the beach sand better than fiberglass. Also, many are using an I/O Jet, views or comments? JH
If you look on North River's site, they rate their boats best for bays and rivers. Though widely used in Baja, most aluminum boats are fairly flat bottoms and they do pound in rough water. North River does have a 12º bottom on a coupla models that wouldn't be too bad.

Jets are great for shallow water running on rivers, etc, and although they've improved over the years, they're gas hogs, not near as fuel efficient as a prop. Though it's been a while since I've been down, I don't ever recall seeing a jet on anything but a PWC.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
What the heck is your avatar? I stare at it and can't figure it out, but I have the eery feeling it is looking back at me.

BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
One of my dreams

Then you won't have to worry about beaching it.

Nice!!!!!
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 11:06 PM

Demon sheep....nightmares tonight for sure.

Skipjack Joe - If you're referring to my boat, actually the 21' is a lot more weight. With the trailer it's over 3,000lbs. It rolls out into the water very nicely. We have a hard pack beach at Geckos so the only problem is rocks blocking the wheels as it rolls. Lots of people do the three wheel deal. As long as you have pull ropes it is no problem.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.