Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Good Pick??
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 01:56 PM

A 17' boat isn't designed for open water, it's a bay boat. Keep that in mind.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 02:36 PM

Congratulations! That was a smoking deal. I could never get a hold of the seller. I am happy that you did.

In Memory of E-57
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 02:54 PM

Yeah Alan, I'm pretty pleased about the whole thing! A guy showed up 5 minutes after I did. I was waiting in the owners driveway when he got home last night!! If anyone with the money on hand had gotten there first, I'd have lost out, BIG TIME! So far, knock on wood, no calls about any issues other than the normal PM and service. Wiley, Skeet, Cypress, I heartily appreciate the warnings, and shall always keep an eye on the horizon. Mother Cortez does not care if I am enjoying myself and her bounty, or crab and lobster food on the bottom!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 02:56 PM

OK I have been fishing out of La Paz for a Loooong time in a 14ft Mckee Craft flats boat.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
A 17' boat isn't designed for open water, it's a bay boat. Keep that in mind.

All depends on what you consider open water. I have fished Tortuga, run all the way to Punta Prieta, and put 2000 hours on a 16.5 Klamath and thought it was a marvelous ocean boat for the Sea of Cortez. But then we all know I am a little loose in the head.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt

Jim.... What is your new 21 footer?

Bill, I just purchased a 21.5 Triumph which is a roto molded plastic boat made out of Roplene. I have been reading about this boat for a couple of years and when I found the right deal, it followed me home for my birthday this year. Have fished it three days so far, two were in really bad water, and the ride is unbelivable. I had heard that this was a great boat to have in slop and chop, but I did not believe a boat coould be that dry and smooth in the junk. Check out http://www.toughboats.com or
http://www.triumphboats.com/

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by Pescador]

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 08:17 PM

Jim, I wish the 4 extra feet had been in the budget, but for the outlay, I cleaned up. When I beat a transom section with a sledgehammer at the Fred Hall Show a few years back, I was sold!! The Merc had clean oil top and bottom, had a 200 hour service done, and bought all the filters for the next 200 hours. It has 447 hours now. A few pieces of fuel line were disinegrating internally, so I had all of them replaced. Turns out the Mercury shop I used ships tons of parts to La Paz. I'll try to stop in San Bruno on the way down. If I'm not in La Paz by Christmas, the wife will kill me!!

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Jim, I wish the 4 extra feet had been in the budget, but for the outlay, I cleaned up. When I beat a transom section with a sledgehammer at the Fred Hall Show a few years back, I was sold!! The Merc had clean oil top and bottom, had a 200 hour service done, and bought all the filters for the next 200 hours. It has 447 hours now. A few pieces of fuel line were disinegrating internally, so I had all of them replaced. Turns out the Mercury shop I used ships tons of parts to La Paz. I'll try to stop in San Bruno on the way down. If I'm not in La Paz by Christmas, the wife will kill me!!

Well, stop by anyway, but if the fishing is good we can tell her you got kidnapped or something. I think you will love the boat. I sold my old one right away to a couple of guys who live on the island, so it will be close by.

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 08:37 AM

Jim.....I'm familiar with the boat. Congratulations. There are a number of Triumph 21s in Loreto, and most who have them are crazy about them. I sold a Suzuki DF175 with a new power head to my next door neighbors to replace a 2 stroke motor that came on theirs. Attached is a photo of Loreto Captain Andres Cota and former Loretano "Vodka Jim" Luithly showing off a couple of hoos on Thetis Bank on Jim's 21. That boat has weathered many a trip through Boca de Soledad with Jim and Andres, and more recently with new owners Mike and Rosie Sheffer. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.....

tr700.jpg - 47kB
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Jim.....I'm familiar with the boat. Congratulations. There are a number of Triumph 21s in Loreto, and most who have them are crazy about them. I sold a Suzuki DF175 with a new power head to my next door neighbors to replace a 2 stroke motor that came on theirs. Attached is a photo of Loreto Captain Andres Cota and former Loretano "Vodka Jim" Luithly showing off a couple of hoos on Thetis Bank on Jim's 21. That boat has weathered many a trip through Boca de Soledad with Jim and Andres, and more recently with new owners Mike and Rosie Sheffer. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.....

Yeah, Mike and Rosie wanted to sell me their old Lupe Diaz Panga but we could not reach an acceptable price for both of us, course they sold it later for the same price, but I was glad I was not the owner.
I have now used this boat for quite a few days, and I must admit that I am really happy. Sure is a pain though getting used to a new boat, you can not put your hands on things like you could with the old boat. Once it comes together, it should be good.
I am really glad I have the Yamaha power, I just have not heard of anyone doing well long term with the Suzuki. I know you put a lot of hours on just like I do and I think it is better to have the knowledge that the motor is going to stand up to the task. The new 150 is sure a different animal than my old 115.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 01:10 PM

Pescador, Open water? Thirty or forty miles from shore. Spent a lot of time out there in a 19' Seabird with a 235 Evinrude back in the 70's. Good times!;)
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 02:45 PM

Hi. The Triumphs are very interesting to me, especially the 21. I'll be interested to hear about your experiences, especially running into a chop and how comfortable it is when the Cortez gets nasty. The 21' with a nice tall bow rail and rails along the side would be pretty sweet.

[Edited on 12-12-2010 by Doug/Vamonos]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Hi. The Triumphs are very interesting to me, especially the 21. I'll be interested to hear about your experiences, especially running into a chop and how comfortable it is when the Cortez gets nasty. The 21' with a nice tall bow rail and rails along the side would be pretty sweet.

[Edited on 12-12-2010 by Doug/Vamonos]

Well, I spent a lot of time reading everything on the Triumph owners site and decided that this boat was worth looking into seriously. I have only had it out in 3 foot chop and nasty whitecapping, but it cuts into the waves better than any other boat I have driven. Part of that is obviously the deadrise and part of that comes from the material and the way it is made. Check out http://www.triumphowners.net/
You can go on with a trial subscription for like 24 hours or something like that and read a lot of information about what the owners have to say about this boat.

yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 08:14 PM

Congrats on the boat Jon, you will be happy with her. I have the same motor and my Crestliner and I love it!!!!!

See ya down south
safe travels

Derek
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 08:20 PM

I woke up in La Mision this morning to a very light Santa Ana condition. I was half a heartbeat away from grabbing a sixer and a couple rods, when I realized I have at least 2 more loads south before I am DONE! It would have been a perfect day to get it out, but that will have to wait awhile. Most likely Asuncion or San Bruno on the way south.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 05:42 PM

Jon, hope you have many happy hours with the boat. When I was cutting my teeth on yellowtail and the Sea of Cortez, I had an old used 1957 14 foot aluminum runabout that I based at my parents house in San Carlos by Guaymas. The guys with the 25-40 foot boats would usually call me on the CB radio around daybreak to see whether or not it was worth coming out or not. Most of them did not know what size boat I had, but did know that they could usually get a water report early in the morning because I had left hours before daylight. So it is less the size of the boat that learning what is happening with the water and adjusting accordingly.
I grew up in Colorado and the worst trouble I ever got into was when I bought my first 4 wheel drive truck. Before that I used my head and got into the back country with two wheel drive and always managed to do very well doing that, but as soon as I got the 4 wheel drive, I started going places that I would have avoided with two wheel drive.
So it is pretty much the same issue with the boat. I always watched the weather, read all the projections, and did not loiter around when the weather started to turn bad. Some of the biggest horror stories I have heard out on the water came from "bigger" boats who relied on the size of their boat instead of their intelligence. So with boats as well as other things, Size is not the most important thing.:lol::lol:

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 07:03 PM

One more from me, most boats will handle anything the weak point is the skipper.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 07:04 PM

Thanks Jim. I've raced the wind and fog back into the safety of La Salina on more than a few occasions! A couple times on Lake Michigan, I thought I was going to die. That is usually what it takes. Get the crap scared out of you a few times, and you watch the weather closely, no matter what size boat you are on. :o I'm getting to La Paz way later than I planned, so I only have better weather and fishing to look forward to, and learn from, as the next year unfolds. Oh, my 4wd rule, never use it until you get stuck, THEN, put it in 4wd, turn around and find another way! I grew up in Michigan snow, I hate shovels.:lol:

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 08:59 AM

Bajabass...how about some pics of the boat? Maybe some that show the amount of space front and back and around the console. I love the interior space and seating options of my 21' Bayrunner Baja, but I also love smaller outboards and greater mpg. My 115 is a gas hog. Hopefully I'll retire within four to five years and I want to spend an entire fishing season in Baja just to satisfy my need for pescado and I don't want the cost of gas to limit my fishing. When I'm down for four or five days and burning 100 gallons it's not that big of a deal, but if I'm fishing for weeks on end...well....that gets to be expensive. Thanks.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.