Author: Subject: Great Baja Fishing Video
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moogie
Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
I don't get why you'd cut off the body off the squid and just take the tenacles?? The body is excellent bait as well as excellent to eat when prepared properly.

There is a large domestic market for them and that would have fed a family or 3.

How did you catch those roosters? live bait or poppers? That location is directly in front of the estero just south of the marina, judging by the video and the background.

One can stay at the Presidente and fish those waters off the beach, it is only about a 10 minute walk north.

I asked my Pangero why he did what he did.
He said that he doesn't bring the beasts into the boat. He won't take the risk of them squirting ink in the boat.
He also said that the tentacles make the best bait for Dorado, and that's what we were going for. . .We did great too.

They all have their own methods to their madness.

You have a good eye for location. The smaller Roosters were caught off the beach directly outside of the La Playita Marina just a short hop from the El Presidente.
They jumped all over our topwater plugs in the morning. Chrome finished Roberts Rangers did the trick.

The Pargo and large Rooster footage is from about 10 miles north of San Jose. We used live mullet for bait. We trolled them and pitched them.
Moog

when you cut the head/tenacles off they can't spray ink.
Most guides here on the eastcape that I see, keep the body and use it as cutbait.

What did the big rooster weigh? was it taken on a ranger?

I took a 75lb rooster off the beach last yr on a 3oz blue/white ranger, this yrs best is a 50lb takn 3 miles out trolling a 12" white/green feather of all things. I also had on a 90-100lber on that ate about a 7lb peanut dorado...also about 4 miles out in 900ft of water. I got it about 10 feet from the boat and it let go of the dorado. It made the 75lb rooster look small.

I like blue/white, or solid white rangers in 2 1/4" and 3oz . If they are any other color I spray paint them. The chrome paint doesn't hold up and starts flaking off pretty quick, but they are good in low lite situations.

Both of the fish died from heart attacks. I have video of the 50lb fish turning belly up 10' from the boat The 75lb fish died 50yds off the beach and had to drug through the surf. 75lbs is a big dead weight to haul in on 40lb line in the surf! I brought them to our ranch and they were overjoyed, talk about a lot of machaca!

I have photos of both fish, but given the complications of shinking down the photos to post them here on BN I haven't bothered...or any other fish for that matter.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:04 PM

Moog- I loved every minute of your video. Post more of them. I fished in that same area several times in the '80's. Time to go back.
moogie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by moogie
Quote:
I don't get why you'd cut off the body off the squid and just take the tenacles?? The body is excellent bait as well as excellent to eat when prepared properly.

There is a large domestic market for them and that would have fed a family or 3.

How did you catch those roosters? live bait or poppers? That location is directly in front of the estero just south of the marina, judging by the video and the background.

One can stay at the Presidente and fish those waters off the beach, it is only about a 10 minute walk north.

I asked my Pangero why he did what he did.
He said that he doesn't bring the beasts into the boat. He won't take the risk of them squirting ink in the boat.
He also said that the tentacles make the best bait for Dorado, and that's what we were going for. . .We did great too.

They all have their own methods to their madness.

You have a good eye for location. The smaller Roosters were caught off the beach directly outside of the La Playita Marina just a short hop from the El Presidente.
They jumped all over our topwater plugs in the morning. Chrome finished Roberts Rangers did the trick.

The Pargo and large Rooster footage is from about 10 miles north of San Jose. We used live mullet for bait. We trolled them and pitched them.
Moog

when you cut the head/tenacles off they can't spray ink.
Most guides here on the eastcape that I see, keep the body and use it as cutbait.

What did the big rooster weigh? was it taken on a ranger?

I took a 75lb rooster off the beach last yr on a 3oz blue/white ranger, this yrs best is a 50lb takn 3 miles out trolling a 12" white/green feather of all things. I also had on a 90-100lber on that ate about a 7lb peanut dorado...also about 4 miles out in 900ft of water. I got it about 10 feet from the boat and it let go of the dorado. It made the 75lb rooster look small.

I like blue/white, or solid white rangers in 2 1/4" and 3oz . If they are any other color I spray paint them. The chrome paint doesn't hold up and starts flaking off pretty quick, but they are good in low lite situations.

Both of the fish died from heart attacks. I have video of the 50lb fish turning belly up 10' from the boat The 75lb fish died 50yds off the beach and had to drug through the surf. 75lbs is a big dead weight to haul in on 40lb line in the surf! I brought them to our ranch and they were overjoyed, talk about a lot of machaca!

I have photos of both fish, but given the complications of shinking down the photos to post them here on BN I haven't bothered...or any other fish for that matter.

I used the same Pangero 10 times. I've never seen him bring a squid in the boat. I know they can't spray without a head, but my guy won't even give them a chance.

The big Rooster chewed on a live mullet. All of our plugs were useless after the morning bite was over.

Yup, I know that sometimes the fish fight themselves to death. More the pity.
However, there's always a bright side on the mortality issue, and that being the locals get some protein.

I go to Baja primarily for the Roosters. I could fish for them all day, every day. I find them to be totally exotic in their look and fighting abilities.

I had trouble re-sizing my pics too, but I finally figured it out.
I'm sure everyone would like to see your pics of the mega Roosters. . . .Give it another try
Moog
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.