BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: They're at it again, they want to commercialize the Dorado!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:02 AM

Cautiously optimistic is better than being totally f-ed like we almost were.

There are many fronts that are being fought on right now and really, this last meeting brought sport fishing interests from all over Mexico together for the first time. Keep in mind our natural competitiveness we have with each other just competing for market share. Conapesca and the commercials have been counting on this....but their plans have unraveled.

I understand Hook's sentiments, Sonora is the largest commercial fishing state, he sees things we do not see. I could go on, but I won't. We in BCS see that Sonorans and Sinaloenses come here to rape our waters because they have extracted just about everything they have. We are using technology to our advantage. We can present words and figures, stats etc until we are blue in the face, but there's no denying the videos that have already been made. also we are learning the complaint procedures now and this is something that has eluded us before.

I don't have to do this, Vince doesn't have to do this, either does Minerva, Dr. Villavicencio, Enrique, Margaro, Francisco, etc. but we have a great disdain for injustice so we are fighting it.

You see, conapesca and those paid off by them are using the tactic that they are trying to uplift the poor ribereños when in fact the poor ribereños will remain poor nomatter what. This goes beyond commercial and sport fishing conflicts, it boils down to the sell off of our nation's resources under the guise of making things better for the poor. It is a lie, and we have just started to prove this to our diputados, who live in a bubble and do not understand.

I will need to sign off for awhile but when I come back I will be announcing our united bilingual super-blog that will continue to tell the story and educate our citizens. It will allow their participation and hopefully conserve our natural resources so the nation (people) benefits, not just the coyotes and paid off funcionarios, but the real owners....all of us!

A word about FONMAR and fishing licenses:
ANY person fishing in the state of BCS needs to purchase their fishing license in the state under the FONMAR program. Yes it is less convienent but in the case of BCS, which is unique, ALL of the funds stay in the state. The Federacion will soon be receiving solicitations from Loreto and our proposal is that we receive a high percentage of these funds to operate. Trips to these meetings need to be paid for by someone, lawyers to fight this, filming of violations, enforcement, etc. all needs funding. Prior to FONMAR, all moneys collected went to DF where they were spent on who knows what. Now at least we have some control. Past threads of fishing licenses where even those who claim to be sudcalifornianos gave advice to purchase them through travel clubs or through conapesca's website (or BCN's) made my stomach turn. I hope this is the last advice I need to give on this, I have given it before, now its up to the buyer of the license to do the right thing.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:23 AM

EXCELLENT NEWS PAM!!!
We have a real dilema here with obtaining licenses. No one sell them here so for example to buy one, you have to call the fisheries guy in Bahia Tortugas, find out if he is around...which he often isnt....go to Turtle Bay, hope to find the guy and pay for it. Most fishermen wont do this...imagine if you want to fish in La Bocana...you have to drive more than 8 hours on a terrible road to buy a license...not gonna happen...which is why anglers get their license online.

I have begged our fisheries officer here to please try to get permission to sell licenses but nothing happens. We would love to be able to get them here. I will attach the link to the questionaire to our website as everyone should do who is involved with sportsfishing.

thanks again everyone for your efforts.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
You didnt like my version of Imagine, either, I guess. :biggrin: After reading it again, I guess some people may have interpreted it as being against the cause. It most certainly was not, as I intended it.

I just dont think this is the time to celebrate. Wont there be another vote in Mazatlan later that could still overturn this Article?

That's why I'm cautiously optimistic.

That survey is REALLY important. And this new website that Pam and others are working on will be REALLY important.

What about the logic of fees going to BCS, Osprey? WILL BCS fees be used to police all the way over here IF that's where the problem is?

Hook, I don't know how to make this issue any clearer. If you live in Sonora, as you do, please make sure to buy your fishing license locally, in Sonora, and those of us who live in BCS need to buy our licenses locally, not from some stupid travel club or online, which is sponsored by Ensenada and Baja California Norte.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 11:58 AM

This from today's news:

Commercial fishing of dorado would be the final blow to BC Sur.'s economy
by Baja Daily News (BDN) on 05/23/11

Los Cabos, Baja California Sur .- The deputy chairman of the Committee on Fisheries of the State Congress, Ernesto Ibarra Loreto Montoya and Deputy Oropeza Villalejo Dora Elda came the port of Lazaro Card##as Michoacan, with the third forum for consultation on the reforms to Article 68 of the General Law on Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture, which analyzes the opening the waters to commercial fishing.

Both said that Baja California Sur open to commercial fishing of the dorado and other species for recreational fishing would be the final blow to its economy, social development and growth, as most of the population depends on fishing, and the tourism it generates.

In a forum organized by the Committee on Fisheries of the House of Representatives, lawmakers Baja California Sur made a presentation separately, which showed that South Baja California sportfishing beneficially impact its economy and society by creating jobs for tourism collateral services such as transportation, lodging, food, boat rentals and taxidermy, among others, that allow major foreign exchange earnings that in turn generate and infrastructure works on docks, marinas, and construction of hotels.

Ernesto Ibarra Montoya said that it is false the argument of some federal deputies from Sonora and Sinaloa, to promote this initiative in the sense that this reform aims to encourage coastal fishermen, and that experience large predators of the seas are Mexican commercial fishing industry, those with large fleets of tall ships, as well as dealers and smugglers.

Bob Durrell
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 01:40 PM

If someone could provide a link to any study of baja dorado migration patterns throughout their life span I would greatly appreciate it.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 02:01 PM

Igor, I don't have the whole pattern but you can ask around down here and you'll learn that whether they are coming up the SOC or going back out, as they pass Palmas Bay, they have little predation from Jorge. Most fishing days they could make the limit one and I would probably not exceed that. (might be under it)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 02:25 PM

BTW, the thread you provided on the research on humbolt squid by the Stanford guy proved to be very interesting. That led to many links and a trove of reading material.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 02:48 PM

good going Pam and husband !! fighting such a fight takes real courage. so glad the dorado won this round.

I also see your Spanish is even better than mine, I may stop by for some classes in getting the point across FAST

:biggrin:

all kidding aside, congrats on a job well done !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 03:25 PM

Here's an interesting article on the Pompano dorado we catch down here sometimes.

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/pompdor/pompdor.htm
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 03:57 PM

Super interesting. I've known about this specie for a long time now but I can't say I've ever been present for one being caught. How about you Osprey?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 04:08 PM

Local charter guys target them for bait for billfish sometimes for big time tourneys. They jig for them with Lucky Joes around shark buoys.

I think a lot are caught, nobody bothers to I D and they are throwbacks. That's why their numbers are growing -- the very same with the white marlin that have made their way over here.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 05:06 PM

White marlin? In the Pacific?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 05:50 PM

Cardon, many white marlin here in East Cape. U2U me and I'll fill you in. Many old threads on here about it if you search.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2011 at 09:50 PM

"...one of the most fascinating things that came out of the meeting in Lazaro Card##as, was the curiosity on the part of the Diputados regarding “catch and release fishing”. If you can read Spanish, and you read part two of our economic and social impact on Loreto testimony, you will see that Captain Francisco explained how light tackle and fly fishing “catch and release excursions” are not only popular but are becoming the norm. The Diputados were very interested in this dark-skinned captain who originally from the Costa Chica in Guerrero state and had the southern Mexico accent, explained that he arrived in Loreto 30 years ago “with nothing” and now he is “prospering”. He explained that “thanks to the experience he has gained from his years of being an artesan* fishermen”, he has been able to apply it to the field of sport fishing and has created an opportunity for himself...."

Taken from my perspective of the situation and hopefully it will help you to understand the situation better-
http://www.bajabigfish.com/?p=1847

The iniciative and our testimonials are available to download there as well.

someone wanted a Dorado study? I can e-mail CIBNOR's study in .pdf it is over 200 pages long and in spanish. It was written to support commercializing the dorado and to help strengthen the iniciative. Believe it or not all of their data was taken from the illegal dorado fishing fleets in sonora (black market). that ought to send up a red flag, anyway, contact me via my website and I'll be happy to send it to ya.

I'll be back when we're ready to announce the new blog address.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2011 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
EXCELLENT NEWS PAM!!!
We have a real dilema here with obtaining licenses. No one sell them here so for example to buy one, you have to call the fisheries guy in Bahia Tortugas, find out if he is around...which he often isnt....go to Turtle Bay, hope to find the guy and pay for it. Most fishermen wont do this...imagine if you want to fish in La Bocana...you have to drive more than 8 hours on a terrible road to buy a license...not gonna happen...which is why anglers get their license online.

I have begged our fisheries officer here to please try to get permission to sell licenses but nothing happens. We would love to be able to get them here. I will attach the link to the questionaire to our website as everyone should do who is involved with sportsfishing.

thanks again everyone for your efforts.

To address your specific situation. It will soon change. FONMAR is now allowing us to sell fishing licenses in our shops, hotels, and places of business, and if you're a tour operator like me directly to the buyers. You will apply for a certain number of blank licenses (howevr many you need) and then give them the receipts and the money. Ask your local FONMAR office or e-mail me and I will put you in touch with the Loreto office for more information. for the first time ever they are making it easy to buy them, its about time. This is BCS only.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-25-2011 at 10:08 AM

most excellent news...thanks Pam...we will get right on that and hopefully for this season will be the proud bearers of fishing permits for sale here.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.