my first Car ( truck ) was a 1935 ford PU with Mechanicial
brakes,,, I remember the first time driving thru water then trying to stop WTF
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Pssst..I changed it but don't tell tehag, he'll think he's going nuts.

Jim, I wasn't going to rat on you, but good of you to 'fess up'!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 10:31 AM

Dodge, in an apparent effort to out-idiot all the other US manufacturers, built a non-resettable (junk) circuit breaker into the ABS control module. $400.00 from the stealership, $160.00 used (UP?), and about $30. to ship it to the east coast to be rebuilt. Then take it back to the stealership to be "re-programmed".

When unplugged the Dodge will have no ABS, no speedo, no cruise control, and no trip computer.

For guys like DK who denigrate ABS, I assume you don't drive on slippery surfaces very much. The sudden reduction in control when driving without ABS on slippery roads is VERY obvious; especially in a pickup truck.

Most of the wrecks around here, when it is slippery, are caused by people driving fancy all wheel drive cars who think that because they can GO so good, that they can STOP just as good. Not true; even WITH ABS. There is also the element that because the cars make it so easy, a lot of people just don't learn how to drive in slippery conditions without a computer to help them.

Edit to correct the price of a "fix" if like me you are running around "un-plugged". $50.00
http://www.myairbags.com/abs.php

The photo is cute. I'm curious...which dog was hardest to pull?

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 10:57 AM
ABS

OMG!! I'm going nuts!!

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 11:15 AM

Something about that ABS braking system video makes me want to......:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Dodge, in an apparent effort to out-idiot all the other US manufacturers, built a non-resettable (junk) circuit breaker into the ABS control module. $400.00 from the stealership, $160.00 used (UP?), and about $30. to ship it to the east coast to be rebuilt. Then take it back to the stealership to be "re-programmed".

When unplugged the Dodge will have no ABS, no speedo, no cruise control, and no trip computer.

For guys like DK who denigrate ABS, I assume you don't drive on slippery surfaces very much. The sudden reduction in control when driving without ABS on slippery roads is VERY obvious; especially in a pickup truck.

Most of the wrecks around here, when it is slippery, are caused by people driving fancy all wheel drive cars who think that because they can GO so good, that they can STOP just as good. Not true; even WITH ABS. There is also the element that because the cars make it so easy, a lot of people just don't learn how to drive in slippery conditions without a computer to help them.

Edit to correct the price of a "fix" if like me you are running around "un-plugged". $50.00
http://www.myairbags.com/abs.php

The photo is cute. I'm curious...which dog was hardest to pull?

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by vgabndo]

Hey, don't put me down as a 'denigrator' , :lol: Santiago posted a photo that was humorous and somewhat true. My 2010 Tacoma ABS works fine, and I have never tried to kill it. My 2005 was a different story and many times my truck 'almost' crashed because its ABS system wouldn't stop it as quickly as 'normal' brakes would. I still did not mod it or disable it, however. Perhaps if I did crash, then yes.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 01:59 PM

my tundra stops like a fat chick running down a steep hill.....

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

biggrin.gif posted on 8-4-2012 at 02:23 PM
glad i don't drive a ford pinto

:lol::lol::lol::lol: something unsettling about a bunch of middle+ aged and elderly with diminished speed of braking reflex bombing down the highway in large trucks after having purposely disabled their ABS :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:o:o:o:o

:!::!::!::!::!:

:?::?::?::?::?:

p.s. I love ABS! I have several cars with ABS and one car w/o ABS -- the non-ABS car is scary on highway, takes twice as long to stop in a fast-brake situation. i cannot imagine anyone would disable their ABS. why not just drive w/o seat belts and take up smoking?

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by mtgoat666]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 02:24 PM

What year is it Woody? Maybe it has the same system as my 2005 did?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 03:41 PM

My ABS in my fantastic Nissan X-terra makes such wierd noises when going around a curve a little fast, or when I drop a wheel into some gravel, that I think the truck is coming unglued!!! At least the dealer TELLS ME it is the ABS. Very annoying and distracting, and lots of mild vibration and pulsating brake pedal when this happens.

Unlike the Goat, I pine for the simple vehicles of yesteryear with which I NEVER had any problems to speak of.

The beauty of the human-eye is that it is almost instantly able to focus at distance or at close up, negating the "engineers" belief that I can't.

Barry
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
i cannot imagine anyone would disable their ABS.

Have you tried stopping on dirt, muddy, or gravel roads? Some vehicles with ABS seem to stop okay. Others, like my E350 van, take more than twice the distance to stop. ABS creates a dangerous situation when offroad for many vehicles.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

2003 w/ 125k. it's had the TSB for the caliper upgrade, slotted rotors and Hawk pads, flushed the fluid. next up is the rear pads.....:fire:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by woody with a view]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

2003 w/ 125k. it's had the TSB for the caliper upgrade, slotted rotors and Hawk pads, flushed the fluid. next up is the rear pads.....:fire:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by woody with a view]

Your '03 has 125,000 miles on it, and you only need to do a brake job? I say, you are way ahead... Of course the second gen. (full size) Tundras, or the similar size newer Tacomas are just made for taking you to Baja!

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 07:22 PM

I have owned several class A trucks some older ones w/o abs and newer ones with. The abs takes some getting used too. The abs saved my bacon more than once most truck trailer combinaton wrecks were caused buy the trailer wheels locking up and the trailer trying to pass the tractor with abs this doesnt happen. I admit the pucker factor is there but i have never seen them fail.:lol::lol:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 08:01 PM
HOLA...IMOP--abs works over all !!

BUT,,IF YOUR A OLD SCHOOL OFF ROADER!! NOT A DAY IN HELL!! GIVE ME BREAKS/FRENOS..KT
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 11:00 PM

For the record, my ABS isn't fixed 'cause of the $$$ no other reason. On snow and ice, it is a big help. I usually hitch hike to the ski area. When I have to drive, and that 8000 lbs is up to speed in the snow every little bit of control helps!!!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 07:46 AM
abs & trucks

HOLA,IVE BEEN OUT OF THE BIZ FOR A FEW YEARS..BUT THEN AND I DO NOT KNOW IF ITS CHANGED.. TRUCK ABS SYSTEMS ONLY CONTROL THE REAR AXLE!!!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by captkw]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 08:23 AM

Quote:

i cannot imagine anyone would disable their ABS. why not just drive w/o seat belts and take up smoking?

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by mtgoat666]

Yep, I do those too :lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.