BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Save time corssing at Tecate?-Forget it!
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 05:21 PM

OK.....I'm the bad guy. I recommended Cielomar take the Ruta De Vino and
to cross at Tecate. Jack, I'm sorry!! The past many, many years heading north I hated SY and the long waits. I took Ruta De Vino and never had a problem going to Tecate via this route. In the last, many years, I have never waited more than 30 minutes to cross.

I will say that I never crossed on a weekend as you did. Last time I crossed
was a Monday in Feb. I'll be crossing again in Septmber on my way to Thailand. And, it will be a weekday between 10:00 & noon.

Glad you made it home safe & sound!!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabobaja
OK.....I'm the bad guy. I recommended Cielomar take the Ruta De Vino and
to cross at Tecate. Jack, I'm sorry!! The past many, many years heading north I hated SY and the long waits. I took Ruta De Vino and never had a problem going to Tecate via this route. In the last, many years, I have never waited more than 30 minutes to cross.

I will say that I never crossed on a weekend as you did. Last time I crossed
was a Monday in Feb. I'll be crossing again in Septmber on my way to Thailand. And, it will be a weekday between 10:00 & noon.

Glad you made it home safe & sound!!!

paybacks:biggrin:

cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 05:30 PM

Yea Zac.............I'll never hear the end of this from Jack. And Ned is probably
really peeed at me. How many times does a dog have to pee in 13 hours???:(
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 08:28 PM

Crossed at Tecate going North yesterday The line wound up the hill through a residential neghborhood along the fence. In the 8 or so years I have been crossing there I have never seen a line that long. We arrived in line at 8am. and crossed at about 10am. Which I thought was remarkable. For as long as the line Was.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 08:40 PM

I have crossed a lot at both San Ysidro and Tecate and even when the wait is longer at San Ysidro (going North), the entertainment with all the street vendors and all the goings on certainly make it all worth it.
Tecate is the most boring crossing in all of Mexico. Not much to look at, Vendors have very little personality, street food is the pits unless you like tortillas and small cokes.
San Ysidro is a classic. They have Churros, fried Potato Chips, Clam c-cktail, frozen ice, ice cream, frozen yogurt, Tortas, Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Fruit cups, souvenirs, Original Elvis Paintings, Marilyn Monroe original blankets, guitars, Little dogs that come out of pockets, Cell Phone Accesories, Tortillas, Candy, Coke, and you can even get last minute liquor, pharmacy, and probably almost anything else you might need. Free Enterprise at it's very best.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:46 AM

Crossed back at Tecate last Sun. 8/5/2012, almost
3 hrs., never again, although Sun. is probably the impact
time of the week. Otay will be my choice of poison
in the future, never have spent more than 1 hr, or so,
in the Mexicali downtown crossing
Cielomar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 02:33 PM

Well, all is well that ends safe and sound at home. One benefit was the discovering El Sarape cart across the street from the ferry landing in Ensenada, Absolutely the best mariscos c-cktail I've ever had! I talked to a guy from Mexicali while devouring my second shrimp c-cktail and he asked me why I would take Hwy 3 when I could enjoy the amazing sites along the coast to TJ. You know, Mexicans usually know what they are talking about when it comes to all things Mexican! Anyway, chalk one up to experience. Ned slept for about 4 days after we got home ...
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 02:46 PM
Yes to the Positive Comments About the San Ysidro Crossing

And, additionally, the SY crossing has clean bathrooms located in the permanent vendor areas located on the west side of the lanes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I have crossed a lot at both San Ysidro and Tecate and even when the wait is longer at San Ysidro (going North), the entertainment with all the street vendors and all the goings on certainly make it all worth it.
Tecate is the most boring crossing in all of Mexico. Not much to look at, Vendors have very little personality, street food is the pits unless you like tortillas and small cokes.
San Ysidro is a classic. They have Churros, fried Potato Chips, Clam c-cktail, frozen ice, ice cream, frozen yogurt, Tortas, Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Fruit cups, souvenirs, Original Elvis Paintings, Marilyn Monroe original blankets, guitars, Little dogs that come out of pockets, Cell Phone Accesories, Tortillas, Candy, Coke, and you can even get last minute liquor, pharmacy, and probably almost anything else you might need. Free Enterprise at it's very best.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.