Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bandit Wines
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 11:35 PM
Bandit Wines

http://banditwines.com/

Has anyone else tried these wines? I realize the packaging is a bit...um..."boxy" but that can work in our favor! They are quite drinkable and I bet if you ever get the once over crossing into Mexico the customs guys would not even think they are wine (they are looking for bottles). Not to mention they travel well with no breakage or need for a corkscrew (be honest...at some point in your wine drinking career you were without one and had to get into your tool kit and drive a screw into the cork and pull it out with pliers....c'mon...be honest!!!!!!). I have found them at Total Wines and Sprouts.

I have Baja and wine on my mind tonight and not necessarily in that order! :tumble:
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 06:19 AM

Yes, we have tried them and they do travel very well and work great on the boat or a day hike. They are 1 liter. The only one we have tried was the Pinot Grigio which was a bit vapid in our view.
The one liter sizing is good for two couples; two glasses for four folks is possible; a 750ml bottle that just won't work.
The corkscrew issue is fading with so many wineries going to twist tops; there is always pretty decent wine available in that config.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 07:25 AM

Why bring wine to Baja when there are so many excellent wines produced here????..............

Expand your horizons and think and purchase....outside of the box.

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 08:41 AM

I hear what you're saying Bajaguy but some of us don't get much time in Baja and if I am crossing TJ at 7 a.m. to get to L.A. Bay I really don't want to spend much time buying anything!

We often come back up through the Guadalupe Valley and get some wine for home.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 09:07 AM

I've tried Wine Cube from Target. I saw it on Consumer Reports, they rated the Cab/Shiraz 73 pts. in the blend category. It was scary but I did it. I've tried the Malbec too. I comes in 4 pack single serving, a 2 bottle box and a 4 bottle box. It's fine, very drinkable and cheap. The 4 bottle box was $15.99. One good thing is that it's vacuum sealed and stays good for about 4 weeks which is great if you take awhile to drink it. It's been a few years since I've been tasting in the Guadalupe Valley but IMO most of the wine is overpriced and not that great.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I've been tasting in the Guadalupe Valley but IMO most of the wine is overpriced and not that great.

The MX government puts a 42% tax on every bottle.

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 09:16 AM

My virus protection program "Bitdefender" stopped your link from opening and shouted "Contains Malware!" I wonder what that's all about?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I've been tasting in the Guadalupe Valley but IMO most of the wine is overpriced and not that great.

The MX government puts a 42% tax on every bottle.

I did not know that!
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 09:25 AM

When buying wine at a local store in Baja, you've got to think about if they had it stored in a sunny area, or stored in cases outside at 110 degrees.
Got bum wine a couple of times at different places. Raises hell with normal bodily function.:barf::O
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 07:15 PM

I have yet to get "good" Baja wines home and find them as good as at source.
Not sure why,
So, I know the consistency of what I take down, and just go with that.

Currently I am into some very nice "old vine" Zins out of our Central Valley,
and my favorite white is any SauvBlanc from the Marlborough region of New Zealand,
Just plain tired of Chardonnay and the SB from down under is awesome!!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2012 at 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
I have yet to get "good" Baja wines home and find them as good as at source.
Not sure why,
So, I know the consistency of what I take down, and just go with that.

Currently I am into some very nice "old vine" Zins out of our Central Valley,
and my favorite white is any SauvBlanc from the Marlborough region of New Zealand,
Just plain tired of Chardonnay and the SB from down under is awesome!!

I agree with the Runner in that it is best to bring your own to have "quality control" whence traveling!

As to New Zealand wines.....about ten years ago we were having a late dinner at the Pacific Dining Car near downtown L.A. which is a kind of high end, old school restaurant. We ordered a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and they brought it to the table. After a few minutes we noticed the waiter was having trouble opening the bottle and had called another over to help him (mind you, this is old professional waiter guys in suits)....finally my brother in law reaches over, grabs the bottle and unscrews the cap. They were using a corkscrew! Good times.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 10:52 AM

Is there a problem bringing wines to Mexico? I usually bring a case.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.