Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mulege Rio Rumor Mill
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 07:35 AM

You can bet that the Delegado knows what is going on but would need to be asked to get an answer.

BajaDove
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 09:19 AM

If there is a road to an Island is it still an Island?

If its not where it is, its where it isn\'t.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 09:28 AM

please let's just keep it simple and make it a "river cleanup"....we'd all benefit from that.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDove
If there is a road to an Island is it still an Island?

Yes!

In San Diego we have Shelter Island, Harbor Island and Coronado Island (oh, and North Island)... all are connected. In Texas there is South Padre Island... the list is endless.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 10:41 AM

From the Delegado, via 3 people,
The dirt between the roads will be dug down 5-6m and placed on the north river road making it higher. Then another finger road will be built and that area will be excavated, etc. End result being a 5-6m channel and a marina along the malecon. It appears that the existing malecon will be much lower than the new portion. The channel will be built to the town and the area under the bridge will be upgraded. A 2-3-4 ?? Year project.
Again, this is third hand information.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 10:44 AM

Best info. yet! Thanks Willy!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 10:48 AM

hopefully your malecon will hold up better than san felipe's or gonzaga's,both breached.:light::rolleyes:
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 12:49 PM

Reliable sources (the construction foreman) says they are dredging the river all the way back to the bridge to be deep enough to run boats back that far. What size boat remains to be seen. Also how long will the deeper channel will be able to be maintained before silting in again.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2012 at 01:56 PM

New malecon lower than the old one that was successfully flooded in 2008 and 2009? What a fresh thinking....

Marina close to the river mouth would make some sense, though I wouldn't trust any permanent structures in this river, given its record.

They really should be limiting their efforts to just dredging - this is a lot of work already, and it IS needed.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 12:09 PM

Flood hydraulics of Mulege proper & the Mulege estuary (I call it an estuary because it is tidal from Cortez all the way to and slightly above the bridge) are easily discerned from a quick look at Google Earth. Check out the massive drainage area westerly of the narrow gorge where the bridge crosses. It fans out wide in the north-south direction, and runs half way to the Pacific. All that drainage has to pass under the big bridge and thru that narrow gap. Hurricane Jimena flood water by my inspection of debris lines at & near the bridge indicated high water came about to the bottom of the big bridge, maybe 25' depth (varies depending on where you measure). I looked specifically at early claims it over topped the bridge and did not find evidence consistent with that. Regardless, area of drainage vs narrow gap = way high flood level at the gap/bridge.

Dredging in the river won't solve anything in town. Flood water will always back up and flow thru town unless and until it is relieved by some realllllllllllly massive earthwork project to push water to the north or south around town. We're talking mini Panama Canal type stuff here, probably not in the cards.

Dredging in the river will, however, improve hydraulics for areas below the bridge. The estuary fans out to fairly wide near the mouth, and flood level always decreases as water flows east from town. The Orchard is directly in the path of fast moving, still too high water, so flooding there is inevitable, as well as high scour velocity. East past the Orchard, we can expect still high flood levels decreasing as it goes, but this is where dredging will start to have an effect. Removing sand bars & islands and reestablishing a deeper channel will allow flood water to flow faster and therefore shallower. That said, there will always be 2 miles of channel water that has to get going before flood water can clear, it will take time to get that moving, and that means water stacking up to create the pressure to start flow. If all this channel improvement was on dry land, it would translate cubic foot for cubic foot to faster & more complete flood relief, but since it is under tide level- the relief will be incremental and not transformational.

All the above assumes you don't put new flood impediments in the way of moving water. Berms for a marina would be such an impediment. I hope that's not the plan.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 12:33 PM

To put things in perspective! Think of digging a ditch from the bridge to the mouth of the Rio. The deeper the better! The spoils? Use 'em to build the road higher. When a hurricane hits? Ride it out, pull the boats out or head for open water.:D
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
To put things in perspective! Think of digging a ditch from the bridge to the mouth of the Rio. The deeper the better! The spoils? Use 'em to build the road higher. When a hurricane hits? Ride it out, pull the boats out or head for open water.:D

after you dredge the river, next hurricane will fill it in with new sediment load. you'll need to dredge it agin.

on the bright side, river will be navigable for a while....
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 12:47 PM

Boy, I'm glad to see that not all the nomad talk is a "happy hour" kind of talk :) ...

Incidentally, I had the same in mind when said that dredging is one thing that you can't go wrong with, i.e. it will help people from Orchard and below. At least, they would be able to land their boats at any time. But the South shore from Orchard down East is definitely not suitable for permanent development, nothing more serious than palapas with patios on piles like those that I saw in Gonzaga bay.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 02:22 PM

Thanks Engineermike for that insight. I opened Google Earth and is IS so clear what a dirty trick nature played on humans there. Water and shade to attract us, and the geography conspires to drown them all!

When I read your use of the term *scour* I was reminded that I helped Sharks Baja assess his damages with my photography, and then the SECOND time around he became the poster boy for the scour zone.

Thanks to GE time lapse here's their place (with the bright patio) before:

Corky reached me privately and asked that I remove these pictures because they are too painful for him. When we lost our 16 year investment to the same storm, my wife has STILL not been able to return because of the pain. I can't protect you from your wounds Cork, but I respect your wishes.

[Edited on 8-31-2012 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.