Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Big wave BOO BOO at the Blowhole...Asuncion
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 07:31 PM
SHARI

OUCH !!! been there too many times when I was younger fishing off the rock's...DAMN Those rock's hurt.. small suggestion's..1.never turn your back to a ocean !! 2.and If you gonna take a hit get down and turn your bod sideways to the oncoming water 3.always wash with hydrogen peroxide many,many times all day long!! 4. you found medicine..je.je..does help !! wish you fast recover !! damn cool blow hole !!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by captkw]

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 08:14 PM

i saw the wave coming....but it was too late for an escape and holding on and hunkering down didnt work for that volume of water coming over the rock...it's a very common fun game to play here getting splashed by waves but the tide was just a bit too high and the wave was a monster...OK, I'll do the peroxide wash...but doesnt it hurt?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 08:46 PM
shari

sorry for your pain !! like I said I have been there toooo many times..I learned the hard way !! fish first right?? not if your cut,bruised,sprained..but the H.P. does not hurt and from my perspective its what you really need to do..a lot of nasty wild stuff on them rocks..stop any infection BEFORE it gets a root !! I bet good pesos that you will never let that happen to you again!! for years I have sorta been con****ant to new boat guys and always look um in the eyes and say" A rouge wave arnt really rouge,,,they are out there and you may never see one...but never turn your back to her..she might slap ya,,,HARD!!" K&T

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 08:51 PM

Anytime you can come out of that much fun with only cuts and bruises is a win in my book!

Next time have a spotter up at the casa to warn of impending large bombs (waves)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 10:44 PM

OUUUUCH!!:wow::wow::wow:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 10:45 PM

Lots of good advice here. Turning your side to an incoming wave really helps a lot.

The most damage is done by barnacles, limpets, and mussels. And if you're way out at the edge you could end up on sea urchins (no bueno). Once it's knocked you off your feet it's best to just let it carry you rather than lash out and try to get a grip of the rocks you are passing.

It's amazing how sharp those rocks can be. Sometimes you snorkle next to them and a surge will bring you in contact. You think it's nothing because the cold temps dull the senses, only to find later you've been sliced as though with a knife.

Also, the older you are the worse the damage. Big people, overweight people get cut up more than the others.

I never took any medications for my falls. Just suck the cut area. LOL.
AlanDow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 07:21 AM

Shari

Up here in Oregon we lost a couple of local high school boys last summer that were swept of the rocks by a rouge wave. So I was very glad to read your “first person” account of your experience, and that your injuries (while painful) were not more serious.

I am usually a “lurker” here on BN, but I wanted to take a moment to post and thank You for all the many great posts, stories, and photos you have shared with us on BN - especially for sharing this one as it is a reminder to us all to be a little more careful out there (E ticket rides are ok, it is those “F ticket” rides that nature is capable serving up that we gotta watch out for).

See you in late October - Alan
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 07:58 AM

thank Alan....now those big wave rides will be renamed F ticket...hahaha. The rocks inside the blowhole luckily dont have barnacles etc and are fairly smooth and you dont get washed out to sea...only knocked into the pool. You can see the waves coming so you grab onto a hand hold, but confronted with the situation again, I'll try the sideways trick..it's really alot of fun and I dont doubt I will be out there again....but I will not go to that particular spot on a high tide hurricane swell anymore...after all, ya gotta get back on that horse right?:lol:

I bathed the cuts in hydrogen peroxide, put more arnica on the bruised back and downed a Naproxena and feel alot better this morning....I thought I might be worse....whew.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 08:24 AM

I feel your pain after being swept by a couple of rouge waves myself. Even when following the rule to never turn your back on the ocean. Not much to do but hunker down and say "Oh ***!" when that big wave appears.

I do want to add in my 2 centavos. The current medical advice is to not use hydrogen peroxide on wounds as it causes tissue damage that may slow healing. The best advice is to clean with soap and water use an antibiotic like polysporin or neosporin and cover with a bandage.

If there is a lot of debris in the wound, hydrogen peroxide can initially (right after the injury) be used to try to bubble the debris out, but then just soap, water, and topical antibiotic ointments.

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by Taco de Baja]

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 09:19 AM

Hey Shari, We're glad you're OK and healing up. Today I think that most young folks don't know what an "E ticket" ride is, but I'm sure with todays lingo (ie - "F-bomb") they'll be able to figure out what you meant!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 09:29 AM

I agree Taco de Baja....it was drying up nicely and the peroxide sort of got it wet and open again on the big gash...i discovered some new scrapes and cuts this morning but I'm likin the naproxena alot! no beach for me today...boooo hooo

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

I do want to add in my 2 centavos. The current medical advice is to not use hydrogen peroxide on wounds as it causes tissue damage that may slow healing. The best advice is to clean with soap and water use an antibiotic like polysporin or neosporin and cover with a bandage.

If there is a lot of debris in the wound, hydrogen peroxide can initially (right after the injury) be used to try to bubble the debris out, but then just soap, water, and topical antibiotic ointments.

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by Taco de Baja]

:yes:

If you got any blood on any item of clothing, the peroxide works great to remove the blood.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 09:55 AM

oh that's a good tip...thanks...but I only had a bathing suit on.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 10:14 AM

Wow, Shari, thank God you are OK. Audrey and i were in Hawaii and saw an entire family get pounded off of some rocks on the Big Island there. One of the family members broke their leg and had to be carried up this steep, rocky cliff, covered with blood.

You are very fortunate. But, I feel sad for your cuts and bruises. Hope you feel better soon.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 10:51 AM

I'll second that. Thank God you're gonna be Okay. I really can't relate because over here there are only soft sandy beaches.

I did take a serious fall at sea once. In the Navy, on a minesweeper far at sea, I was up on the radar mast when we caught a rogue wave and I fell almost 50 feet to the deck. No real problem. I was used to hardships.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 07:18 PM
OSPREY !!

LOL...HARDSHIPS..you are the man with words !!:lol::lol:as boat guy thats funny !!! but 50 ft...OUCH !!! K&T:cool:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.