bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 07:39 AM

73 when I woke up
Overcast, calm
It rained off and on all night.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 08:39 AM
Where The Weather "Is Coming From"

Quote:
Originally posted by prorader
Is all of this coming from John the Hurricane. it is hard looking at the National Huricane maps and seeing who is really getting what. Maybe be we in Punta Banda will get a few drops. It is good to see you southerners getting some rain. Ha whistling Dixie

Summertime weather has a large alleyway of weather systems exiting equatorial Africa and heading west across the Atlantic. The systems are jam packed with moisture. Most pass over the very south of Mexico and keep going. Hurricanes form within this band. Some curl to the northwest due to an earthspin force called the "Coriolis Effect"

In the Pacific Ocean storms that form can keep heading west or curl toward the north as well. Just how much north is the question.

A hurricane spins counterclockwise drawing weather around in a curl. Some of the curls can be a thousand miles or more in diameter.

Imaging a storm to the west of Guerrero Negro some 500 miles. The storm cloud "curl" would cover the peninsula and even reach past the sierra madres de norte on the mainland.

It's spiralling counterclockwise. Spinning up air meaning warm air and moisture from the gulf of tehuantepec.

So the moisture is coming from the south, along the sierra madres on the mainland, and up the coastal areas of the mainland.

Sooner or later the bands of moisture curl around to the west and cross the peninsula. It all depends where the center of the storm is way out in the Pacific.

The storm centers generally can travel northward until they go over water that is less than 80 degrees in temperature. That is pretty much the magic number to support tropical weather systems. Less than 80 degrees, the storm dies of hunger.

Storms can "drag" sea surface water along with them. Off the coast of Baja California sixty eight degree water can be replaced with water ten degrees warmer as the storm passes. But the storm is destined to die and even a modest "chop" in the waves will mix the warm water with the normal temperature water once the storm has passed.

The immense "curl" of counterclockwise air around a hurricane sucks atmosphere up out of the south but without a doubt the air ahead of a tropical storm or hurricane will be very warm and not extremely humid; not until the rain bands of clouds appear. The bubble of hot dry air is a dead giveaway that something is approaching in tropical latitudes.

The two years of meteorology in college was a "minor" but was interesting and still serves to entertain as I age :)

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Well, if you want to see a green desert you won't believe the way the desert looks this year as it is greener than I have seen it even following Jimena or John. Every bush that flowers in wet years is totally covered in blooms, grass is shin high along side the road, trees look fuller than I have ever seen them, and the Cardon cactus is so swollen that you can almost not see the pleats. Dragon flies have been really abundant and hopefully eating all the mosquitos, butterflies are so think you have to stop and clean your windshield frequently, and the cows have sort of a contented look as they slowly chew their cud after dining on the roadside grass.

One time years ago, the butterflies were so thick that they started clogging up my radiator. My truck started to run just a little warmer than normal. When we got home, I had the truck serviced and the cooling system serviced also. The Mechanic told me that the problem was all the butterfly bodies in the fins of the radiator were causing the overheating problem. Cleaned them out and no more problems. Some thing to check.:coolup:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.