Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Credit Card Fraud at Costa Baja Resort and Spa
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 09:13 AM
Credit Card Fraud at Costa Baja Resort and Spa

After reviewing my B of A Alaska Visa statement, I saw a $307 charge by Costa Baja dated 09/19/2012. Even though I was in BCS in July, I did not stay in La Paz or even Costa Baja when I was down there in July.

I did stay at Costa Baja in July of 2011 and paid cash at checkout. If I remember that far back, I believe a card imprint was made as security deposit.

I contacted my Visa to dispute the and they said that the charge was manually inputted. They will reverse the charge.

Rules to follow: Use Your card only at big name hotels, pay cash, and don't use your card at restaurants.

[Edited on 10-1-2012 by slimshady]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 09:14 AM
CASH IS KING!!!

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 09:22 AM

I thought Elvis was the king?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 09:26 AM
WAS..NOW,,,GOLD !!

slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 09:29 AM

Cash is always king however most hotels require a credit card to secure a deposit.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:18 AM

I use a VISA Wells Fargo Card linked to a savings account that maintains a ninety-nine cents US balance in it. This is the card I use for check in, and then pay cash.

Study the mechanics of how cash could be generated from the illicit use of a customer's credit or debit card. The payment has to be linked and a mechanism has to be in place for the individuals to extract the cash while hiding the transaction (?) from the POS books. Blame whomever you will when all the hurdles have been understood.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
QUETZALCOATL
Nomad

Mood: nublado

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:31 AM

Same thing happened to me about two years ago when I took my kids atving near Cabo,they needed a credit card to secure and low and behold-glad you brought this up,good topic.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:41 AM

I had a problem about 10 years ago at Hotel Buena Vista on the east cape,
It was also a B/A visa
we stayed for about 5 days, next month we received our bill every thing seems to be okay
next month bill comes with the same charge but a few bucks different, I disputed it to BA, had a really hard time as the amount was different, but after proving to them I was back home and not in Baja they reversed the charge
they are really F..king sneaky you have to watch every thing and dont take any thing for granted,, I thought this hotel has been around for years and had a good rep, so I learned a lesson on this one
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 11:43 AM

It's not like they used the card in a shopping spree. It was used at the Hotel. It was manually entered for hotel services like room or food. I don't think any hotels have regular business practices where they take a credit card transaction without actually seeing the card at check in or check out without first identifying the card holder with ID and a physical card. So they will lose not me. They only time I have used the card was either to buy alaska airlines flights, hilton hotel accommodations,Alaska baggage fees, or security deposit at Costa Baja in 2011.

Inside job
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 12:02 PM

here's the deal - IF you have to hand your card to a server etc in mexico and he/she has to move elsewhere to "process" it like a POS terminal etc - insist on going with to observe - otherwise they can write down the numbers , secret code and exp dates.
then you are effed.... just saying!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
here's the deal - IF you have to hand your card to a server etc in mexico and he/she has to move elsewhere to "process" it like a POS terminal etc - insist on going with to observe - otherwise they can write down the numbers , secret code and exp dates.
then you are effed.... just saying!!

Exactly! happens here in the US at restaurants as well. Don't lose sight of your card. Plenty of people besides the US givt't who would love to part you with your hard earned money.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 01:08 PM

Good point, slimshady--this happens everywhere. It has happened to me several times in the U.S., never in Mexico, though I rarely use my cards there.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 01:20 PM

For the record , I frequesnt Costa Baja and use my Alaska Air Credit card at all theresurants around the marina and for Pemex gas at the fueling station within the Marina.

Never had an Issue....
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua
For the record , I frequesnt Costa Baja and use my Alaska Air Credit card at all theresurants around the marina and for Pemex gas at the fueling station within the Marina.

Never had an Issue....

All it takes is once. You hear about the scanners at restaurants, gas stations, but at established hotels running you a charge without a card in front of them and manually inputting it, come on.
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slimshady
Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua

Never had an Issue....

All it takes is once. You hear about the scanners at restaurants, gas stations, but at established hotels running you a charge without a card in front of them and manually inputting it, come on.

Maybe your the one using my card???::O
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 09:04 AM

Slim Shady , Maybe you'r ethe shady one . Give me a break !
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 08:49 AM

You'll never get a successful legal action from internet jabber.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 07:55 PM

I used my card in Avalon on Catalina Island, the shops I was at only had hispanic workers, someone stole my # and charged $7500 worth of jewelery at a store on the mainland. I now pay cash or take a picture with my phone of the person doing the transaction, they all look at me very surprised when i do. F them.

[Edited on 10-6-2012 by 805gregg]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.