Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good Idea or Bad
QUETZALCOATL
Nomad

Mood: nublado

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 10:20 AM
Good Idea or Bad

My youngest who are twins,dual U.S & MX citizens have the idea of bringing things from USA to sell in Cabo. They have it all planned out and my daughter has a % of a hair cut place on the main ave and they plan to sell stuff there. Their idea is to make enough for a ATV. I'm somewhat against it but my wife says give them a chance. So what do you all think am I wrong or could you help me with persuasive reasoning why not.Thanks all -have a great day and stay safe.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 10:41 AM

Mexicans bring stuff south all the time to resell... You see overloaded pickups southbound on I-5 daily... many are loaded with mattresses.

Americans cannot engage in business as 'tourists' (FMM holders) in Mexico.

Being dual citizens, is interesting if recognized at the border that they are bringing items south to resell, as Mexicans... and of course they need receipts to show the value if they are stopped, to pay the import duty.

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 11:18 AM
Business FMM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Americans cannot engage in business as 'tourists' (FMM holders) in Mexico.

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by David K]

But they can get a Business FMM......

(FMM BUSINESS) MULTIPLE MIGRATORY FORM

What is an FMM Visa?

FMM Visa Form is a temporary business Mexico Visa that allows you to conduct business in any Maquila Plant or other Mexico business. The FMM Visa Form becomes very handy, if
your business visit is less then 180 days, with an FMM Visa Form you can also attend business conferences, conventions, etc.

Who needs business FMM Visa form?

Frequently business visitors, sales representatives, counselors whom conduct business in the Maquila Industry or other business throughout Mexico.

Where can I obtain business FMM Visa Form?

If you are in the following list of nationalities you can obtain it in the Mexican Airports, Seaports or Mexico borders:

Nationalities eligible for an FMM VISA FORM; Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Chile, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia,
Finland, France, Germany, Greece, *Hong Kong,* Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta Monaco, Norway New,
Zealand, Poland Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Uruguay, United States
of America.

* Chinese citizens with passports issued by the Hong Kong
Special Administrative Region*

Note: If you are not in the above list you need special visa and must be obtained in the nearest Mexican Consulate where you reside.

What are the requirements to obtain business FMM Visa FORM?

Requirements to obtain a 180 days temporaty business FMM Mexico Visa:

*Must be present
*Valid Passport
*Visa fee about $24,00, U.S. if traveling by land payable to any Mexican bank, the immigration officer at the port of entry will indicate you the closest bank usually is in the same building.
*Invitation letter from the Mexican Company you will be conducting business with, this might not apply for U.S. CANADA AND JAPAN citizens but is recommended to have it.

Note: If you travel by air the FMM visa fee is included in the airfare ticket.

http://www.sandiegoleisure.com/MEXICOVISAS.html

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by bajaguy]

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 11:30 AM

Best to call the Mexican Consulate in San Diego for clarification on the dual citizen and selling items brought from another country.

If you cross someones toes in business in Mexico and do not have all your ducks in a row and the correct answers, it could be bad.
Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Best to call the Mexican Consulate in San Diego for clarification on the dual citizen and selling items brought from another country.

If you cross someones toes in business in Mexico and do not have all your ducks in a row and the correct answers, it could be bad.

The Mexican Consulate in San Diego, or any Mexican Immigration office for that matter, has no idea nor do they care about what a Mexican does business-wise in Mexico.

As David said the only real issue is that if they want to be 100% legal about it they need to pay the importation AND get the necessary factura's issued and then pay the appropriate tax when they sell the stuff. Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of that if they are talking about small re-sale values, i.e. under $20-25. well, and not trying smuggle thousands of dollars worth of stuff across the border with not paying import.

I'm driving down at the end of the month and plan on bringing a case of pepper spray defense canisters. Friend's and family thing. Buy them for $8/ea and sell them here for $20.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 03:40 PM

one is supposed to pay taxes on what one sells, a pequena contributante I think mine is called. anyone selling is supposed to have one and this class has very low taxes, about 10 bucks a month, but it needs to be paid and records need to be kept...and a receipt with one's business/tax license given or offered to every buyer. AND a copy needs to be kept in case the tax man wants to inspect them.
anyway, it is all doable but makes my head hurt. how old are these kids anyway and are they up to doing everything it takes to be legal? your wife, or you, willing to do that for them? or are all of you willing to take a chance that they'll not be caught? it's not too likely that they will be, but it is possible. selling lemonade on the corner once in a while is one thing, s one thing, making regular money another, even the push cart taco and ice cream vendors pay taxes. nationality doesn't matter but at least being dual citizens they won't have to jump through the immigration hoops.

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by rhintransit]

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 03:52 PM

always let people work

they may win

they may lose

if they lose tell them to try again

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 04:19 PM

I never pass up an opportunity for my kids to work hard and risk failing. They have to be made to understand that sticking your neck out is a requirement of life. You'll never get ahead unless you risk your head (cheezy, I know...).

Seems like your kids are partway there - stay out of their way but be there to catch them.....

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 04:20 PM

Check into getting an RFC number. This is necessary for legal importation of goods into Mexico. Hacienda / SAT / SHCP, can really put the screws to people caught selling imported or domestic merchandise if they do not have "Facturas" available to document the sale. Cabo San Lucas is a hotbed of competition (I know this from personal experience) and the competition will run to the authorities in a heartbeat. Choose wisely.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.