Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turtle Nesting Season
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 03:27 PM
Turtle Nesting Season

Turtle Nesting Season in East Cape

Thousands of female Olive Ridley sea turtles have been scouting out suitable nesting beaches in the Sea of Cortez since June. Hundreds have chosen beaches near the tip of the Baja California peninsula and began to lay their eggs wherever conditions seem right; few lights, little human occupation day or night, no barriers to the high and dry sloping sand they need to trust their eggs to for about 50 days.

A 14 year old female is laying eggs for the first time and sniffs the sand for traces of salt as she lumbers up the gentle slope away from the water’s edge. If the temperature is right, if the sand is free from fresh salt, she digs a shallow test hole, sniffs some more and eventually begins to dig a deeper vault for her eggs. She will lay about 100 eggs this morning and a smaller amount in about 3 weeks very near the same nest.

This season’s wave of nesting females has hit it lucky. The weather is perfect, no storms in sight, not many tourists on the beaches, few poachers and a very active turtle protection system in place. Often the nests will be detected, identified as active and marked for removal to the nursery here within hours of the laying of the eggs. Baby turtles in unidentified nests might fall victim to coyotes, ravens, dogs, people, vehicles and high water. Those babies in the nursery will remain protected until they are in the surf but then they must run the gamut through sea birds, fish, sea mammals and net boats.

The nursery here now holds 408 nests or about 40,000 eggs – their protectors will release them as they hatch. Since females are still coming ashore they’ll use the old nursery nests for all the new arrivals until about the first week in December.

I count myself lucky too to be living right in the middle of an area not yet completely ruined by developments, a place where all those babies who might have hatched here 10 to 15 years ago, might show up again and without fanfare or arribadas bring back the joy of seeing them, giving them a helping hand and a better than even chance at survival.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 03:39 PM

Wonderful story Jorge!! Thank you!

carpe diem!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 03:39 PM

That's the way my friend, George, gets along with nature

This REALLY quite an accomplishment George!

I am honored to be friends with you and Lynda!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 04:13 PM

Here's what it looks like (July 2012, east of La Paz):

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 04:45 PM

Kinda looks like a single knarly off-road tire track, David.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 05:12 PM

Funny thing is that as I was reading this post I thought to myself "Ken Bondy is gonna really like this".

Then I scrolled down and there he was.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 05:29 PM

You are sure right about that Igor!! Here's an Olive Ridley hatchling:

carpe diem!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 09:25 AM

They are arriving on the Pacific Coast, too. I saw my first tracks of the season. I wonder if they taught DK how to lower tire pressure in the sand, ha, ha?! Can't wait to see the young turtles escaping back to the sea. Tio
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 09:35 AM

LOL, I was walking on the beach, and good thing the mama leaves a big track to the nest... By the way, a tire track on the sand doesn't go as deep a human foot print! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 03:48 PM

First time I saw those tracks they were running parallel, one up and one back.

My first thought was: "Backhoe" and what was it doing here.

My second thought was: He has one tire on the wrong way.

Third thought was DOH!......Dummy...! It was last nights turtle...:rolleyes:

You are who you pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut jnr
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
You are sure right about that Igor!! Here's an Olive Ridley hatchling:

A couple of questions about these amazing creatures.
1. Since this turtle saving/ helping program began, has there been a noticeable increase in the turtle population, in Mexican waters ???

2. Is this program backed or sponsored by the Mexican Govt. ??

3. Do any American Institutions offer assistance, both technical or financial with this great program ???

Thank You. this stuff just amazes the fradoodles out of me. You guys are very fortunate to be able to witness this first hand.

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 04:49 PM

Luv, I'm not the Go To guy on this stuff but:

1. Since the babies have to survive, then remember where they hatched (over the last 10 to 15 years as they mature), then make it back here to nest, it is very hard to measure.

2. In some areas

3. The conservations groups are very active all over the tropics -- where and when they can, they supply the dollars for protection programs like the ones we enjoy here.

I think you can go as deep into turtle conservation as you wish, as you can afford time and donations. I receive ads quite often asking for donations to witness releases -- $100 pesos.

[Edited on 10-13-2012 by Osprey]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:45 AM

really interesting read ! 40,000 eggs ...whew !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
LOL, I was walking on the beach, and good thing the mama leaves a big track to the nest... By the way, a tire track on the sand doesn't go as deep a human foot print! :light:

DK, what psi do you recommend for driving over a fresh nest? LOL
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Luv, I'm not the Go To guy on this stuff but:

1. Since the babies have to survive, then remember where they hatched (over the last 10 to 15 years as they mature), then make it back here to nest, it is very hard to measure.

2. In some areas

3. The conservations groups are very active all over the tropics -- where and when they can, they supply the dollars for protection programs like the ones we enjoy here.

I think you can go as deep into turtle conservation as you wish, as you can afford time and donations. I receive ads quite often asking for donations to witness releases -- $100 pesos.

[Edited on 10-13-2012 by Osprey] [/quote

Wow, I'd pay for the opportunity to watch.

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.