BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: looks like a gully warsher!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 03:34 PM

I hope it takes a very sharp turn left --- out to sea. We are just wondering if it is time to put out the call for boarding up our windows. Glad we have new roofs! A little rain is good --- Paul is not looking good. :no:

[Edited on 10-15-2012 by DianaT]

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 01:57 AM

Good Luck to all in the way of this monster. Prayers be with you.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 08:23 AM

Cat 1 west of Todos Santos this morning. Keep your feet dry you guys.

You are who you pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut jnr
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 09:10 AM

Looks like Paul has gone ashore
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/epac/flash-rb.html

tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
Good Luck to all in the way of this monster. Prayers be with you.

Yes a safe outcome for all who are there !

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 12:27 PM

this news from a newsfeed from ventana.....

''The government of Mexico has replaced the Tropical Storm Warning with a Hurricane Warning for a portion of the East Coast of Baja California from San Evaristo (north of La Paz) to Mulege. Summary of watches and warnings in effect...A Hurricane Warning is in effect for..."*West Coast of Baja California from Santa Fe northward to Punta
Abreojos......* East Coast of Baja California from San Evaristo to Mulege''

...be safe,,,,may the waters be plentiful but gentle

[Edited on 10-16-2012 by micah202]
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 11:03 PM

11:00 pm Pacific time, looks like Paul slowed, took a turn to follow the coast northwesterly, will rake the coast for a ways, then will turn back out into the Pacific.

Hope the west coaster's got your hatches battened down!
Don't go out in the wind.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 12:02 AM

...hmm ,,not sure about some of the language in this article.....if I was on the coast for 75mph and 10'' of rain,,,I'd have difficulty saying 'it's not really a hurricane' .....nasty how it's bowling straight up the peninsula.

.I guess there's probably no 'net....I'm praying y'all are allright!!!

...they say it's going to hit 'lightly populated fishing areas',,,but mention 'opening shelters for 30,000 people'!.....something's unclear about this!...anybody seen a 'shelter' on baja????
-----------------------------------------------------

''Hurricane Paul loses steam off Mexico west coast''

(AFP) – 8 hours ago

LA PAZ, Mexico — Hurricane Paul weakened as it crawled toward Mexico's Pacific coast Tuesday, but schools and government offices were closed as the storm approached a lightly populated area.

The hurricane lost punch as it neared the Baja California peninsula, with maximum sustained winds dropping to 120 kilometers per hour (75 miles per hour), the US National Hurricane Center said.

"Hurricane Paul slows down and is weakening rapidly," the Miami-based center said in its 2100 GMT advisory, warning that "preparations to protect life and property should have been completed."

Paul, which weakened during the day to a category one hurricane on the five-level Saffir-Simpson scale, was about 15 kilometers (10 miles) from the town of Cabo San Lazaro on the southwestern coast of the peninsula.

Moving north at 24 kph (15 mph), Paul was "barely a hurricane" and was expected to continue moving near or over Baja California's west coast during the next 12 hours, the center added.

Isolated areas could see up to 25 centimeters (10 inches) of rainfall, the center said, adding that the storm could produce "life-threatening flash floods and mudslides" in mountainous areas.

Paul was also expected to generate dangerous ocean swells and rip currents.

Civil protection authorities in the state of Baja California Sur issued an alert and as a precaution they opened 133 shelters that can house around 30,000 people.(they have shelters down there???!?,seems surprising)

"For safety reasons, work is suspended in all government offices," said Baja California Sur Governor Marco Covarrubias Villasenor.

Authorities expected the hurricane to hit lightly-populated fishing areas.

[Edited on 10-17-2012 by micah202]
shari
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 07:25 AM

Why would having emergency shelters surprise you? Each village has well organized shelters The military was driving around yesterday and had the 2 shelters here open for business...they were very profesional and people who live in the arroyos and low lying areas or in cardboard shacks know to seek refuge there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 08:09 AM

Just heard from Mulege very briefly by cell phone; only got two data points due to brevity of call, both in Oasis Park (next development downstream from big highway bridge after the Orchard). These numbers are preliminary in my book due to hasty initial assessment-
House M-3 in Oasis Park got 4 feet of water,
House 56 in Oasis (mine) got ~8feet.

So far as known at this point, everybody there is safe but wet & muddy for those down by the river. Not sure how this translates to downtown, but hard for those numbers not to have put good flow of water thru town.
Orchard would have been 2-4 feet higher than my house, maybe 10-12 feet.
Pretty close to Hurricane John numbers.
Purely my guess but would probably be less mud than John, given John & recent floods in the Mulege estuary.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Why would having emergency shelters surprise you? Each village has well organized shelters The military was driving around yesterday and had the 2 shelters here open for business...they were very profesional and people who live in the arroyos and low lying areas or in cardboard shacks know to seek refuge there.

....I hadn't realized things were as organized,,believe me I'm VERY glad to hear there's such support!
scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 05:13 PM

Looks like Paul is heading out to sea again.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:25 AM MDT Tropical Depression Paul (yellow arrow) is expected to move northwest into the colder waters of the Pacific and dissipate by late Thursday. Clearing will occur across the state throught he day today as this fast moving storm leaves as fast as it came. The greatest impact was felt along the Pacific coast in the pueblo of San Carlos, where 300 persons took refuge in government shelters. Flooding and some damage to Hwy 1 between Constucion and San Rosalia has cause temporary closures. Rain was intense and reports sketchy from Santa Rosalia to Guerrero Negro and north into the deserts.

You are who you pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut jnr
shari
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 05:49 PM

buen viaje Paul...thanks for not ripping our roof off and giving us an excuse to have a party.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
buen viaje Paul...thanks for not ripping our roof off and giving us an excuse to have a party.

Tortuga "LIKES" this :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 03:20 PM

Now that this is a "been here and done us" hurricane,
I have to ask Woody how the heck he knew this particular
weather system 'waaay down south this late in the year
would be a "gully washer"?

I have to say this really caught us by surprise-- we were prepared--
but really surprised to see a hurricane rattle the windows this late in the year!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.