Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Bajadock Southbound
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 02:23 PM

GREAT TRIP DOC! Glad you are almost home safe and sound but I am confused.......... No golf report? I guess when you have a lady with you it's hard to get a few holes in plus it's not cheap the further south you go.

Let's play soon. I'm JONESIN for 18!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 02:35 PM

I'll bet Doc's packin' a few more kilos than he left home with.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 03:19 PM

Not a good bet, young man! Gotta maintain my youthful figure. :saint:

LL, Golf in Cabo is spectacular, as you know. But, not in plan & budget for this trip. Copilot plays and has some talent. But, I don't pay $200+usd for golf. That is a lot of tacos, cocteles and cervezas.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 08:13 AM

Ended our Baja Adventure 2012 the way we began. Lunch was at Poco Cielo in La Mision. We are ready for a vacation from our vacation.

Did over 2,600 miles and lots of pot holes. Three notable road hazard areas were a few miles of construction at San Vicente, the road west from Vizcaino toward Tortugas/Asuncion(dangerous pot holes KIM 40-60, just east of Asuncion turnoff) and a land slide south of Todos Santos.

Missed our intended visits to Magdalena Bay, Bahia de Los Angeles and Punta Chivato.

The military check points were 50% full inspection of vehicle including documentation of my name, city of residence and "de viene/ a donde" whereabouts. They guys are gentlemen and have a terrible job. They usually spent an additional minute or two with us, as my copilot still catches the boys attention. Her fluent Spanish keeps them engaged even longer. My memory says 8 checkpoints in all if we include the one northbound after the Rosarito toll booth.

On the way south, we were reprimanded at Guerrero Negro for bringing apples, not asked for visa and charged 20 pesos for NOT spraying the famous agriculture defense spray. The 3 guys there were very chummy with us. On our northbound trip at noon, noone as at the GN checkpoint. No visa, no nada.

The Pontiac VIBErator did its job at well over 30mpg and approached its 34mpg ceiling when we weren't pushing the needle.

Lightened our load by more than 1 case of wine and several cases of Tecate, Indio, Dos Equis and Pabst. The small and large coolers also did their jobs well. Little cooler was for the portable beverage supply to accompany dinner. Big cooler saved some dining leftovers, fruits/veggies and staged each evening's happy hour with daily ice refresh.

Our stemmed crystal wine glasses made it all the way without crashing. I gave the over/under on one of those wine glasses' demise at 5 days.

Yellow butterflies were plentiful. We also had our share of hitch-hiking flies. Used a bio bug repellant to keep away mosquitoes and other flying pests. That repellant also worked well when sprayed onto tables at taco shops.

This little taqueria in South Tijuana on Free Road, Tacos La Araņa, serves grand carne and adobado tacos. It is located 2 miles north of the North Rosarito exit from Hwy 1 on to the Free Road. Hours are 1:30 - 11:00, closed Monday. Dined there yesterday to confirm that no taco shop on our adventure south could match it.

Looking forward to testing the new Chaparral border crossing tonight on my way from San Diego back to Ensenada. CHEERS!

[Edited on 11-8-2012 by bajadock]

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Finding Hotel Finisterra in Cabo San Lucas was a challenge. My navigator had only taxi cabbed her way around in previous visits and this was my virgin voyage. My Pontiac Vibe does not have Mexican chipped GPS on board.

Our(ummmm....MY) first mistake was not printing a map for the hotel. Second mistake was getting distracted by construction on Hwy1 that led us west of town into an interesting 'hood.

We were at an elevation that allowed us to see the town center and the water, so we headed that way. But, now, we found ourselves on the east side of the marina and malecon. We got 3 different instruction on how to circumnavigate the marina and find Hotel Finisterra.

We unknowingly passed by the hotel entrance 3 different times. How? A sign on a large stone wall for Hotel Finisterra is a whopping 8" x 18" to indicate the location. How a massive property like this could have such an understated street presence amazes me. Maybe they are going for the private club or secret society motif?

I was going through my old baja photos this evening and came across this one of the Hotel Finisterra and thought of Doc's post and how difficult it was for him to locate the hotel. It wasn't such an understatement back in 1983. The Finisterra was the only thing there. I bet that 8" sign was big enough back then. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 05:53 PM

Paulina, HPBD and thanks for photo of Hotel Finisterra 30 years ago. Love then and now pix.

Though I am approx 90 degrees here from your photo's viewpoint, the "Whale Watcher" bar can still be seen. Met cruise types who were re-living memories of the WW bar from 20 years ago and they told us that the new hotel on south side of street did not exist then.

This photo is from hotel room to beach over the 3 terraces of pools.

This would be a fun place to show up today in early 70's garb with VW flower van and ask "Where do we camp on the beach?".

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.