BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gypsy Jan's Don't you wish you were in Baja
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 07:21 AM
Gypsy Jan's Don't you wish you were in Baja

Gypsy Jan,
I wanted to comment on your thread but I needed some time to think about what my response was. However, when I went back to it this morning, I could only report but not quote anything. I found your thread interesting, and I think understanding the crime and other factors in American cities ARE important. So thanks for posting the facts. However, to be fair, is the crime MORE in Detroit than other Mexican, specifically Baja cities? Such as Rosarito? When I lived in Rosarito in 2002, it was a nice sized town. Since then however, it has grown exponentially, and can you really say it is safer than, say, Detroit, Michigan? Unlike others, I am interested in these facts and again, no question is a stupid question, as Skeet pointed out his curiosity on finding out more on the subject.

[Edited on 10-23-2012 by EnsenadaDr]
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Gypsy Jan,
I wanted to comment on your thread but I needed some time to think about what my response was. However, when I went back to it this morning, I could only report but not quote anything. I found your thread interesting, and I think understanding the crime and other factors in American cities ARE important. So thanks for posting the facts. However, to be fair, is the crime MORE in Detroit than other Mexican, specifically Baja cities? Such as Rosarito? When I lived in Rosarito in 2002, it was a nice sized town. Since then however, it has grown exponentially, and can you really say it is safer than, say, Detroit, Michigan? Unlike others, I am interested in these facts and again, no question is a stupid question, as Skeet pointed out his curiosity on finding out more on the subject.

[Edited on 10-23-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

Yea it is Janene. Lot's of stuff going on in Mexico of course but if you are not narco or weirded out as an American in Mexico you're in much better shape statistically.

In America we kill 200 people daily with cars and guns. Today 275 people will be a victim of gun violence in the good ol U.S. of A.

A lot of our violence is based upon profiling. I leave you with:

"Mexico, just does not have the rabid hatred of
migrants as many here in the US. 13 states have passed laws basically,
stripping away basic human rights from non legal migrants. We in Mexico don't
organize hate groups to kill gays and blacks. While nothing is perfect and
discrimination exists. Mexico lacks the murderous hatred show by many in the
US."
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 09:04 AM
AMEN to that

But,,unless you have spent time in south mexico you will never know how they treat the ims coming north into mexico sur... I spent 2 months at the border and the mexicans dont treat there southern friends good at all !! I dont start rumors but state the facts as I see them and the south border few gringos cross or spend any time around and there is no news source !!! but if you get caught around there and are not mexican !! not pretty... male and female and especally if your a nica.. ..................K&T:cool:
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 09:22 AM

My mother spouts the US crime statics all the time. She will never move back.

One angle rarely touched upon when talking about crime rates is that at least you (mostly) can trust the police and other emergency services.

You won't be victimized by them, too. There are building codes to keep us safe and corruption is not as pervasive.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 09:24 AM
OH MY !!!

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans

You won't be victimized by them, too.

Unfortunately Mindy San Diego PD does not support that statement.

The rampant corruption of SDPD including women being raped by officers in lieu of jail time is well documented.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
But,,unless you have spent time in south mexico you will never know how they treat the ims coming north into mexico sur... I spent 2 months at the border and the mexicans dont treat there southern friends good at all !! I dont start rumors but state the facts as I see them and the south border few gringos cross or spend any time around and there is no news source !!! but if you get caught around there and are not mexican !! not pretty... male and female and especally if your a nica.. ..................K&T:cool:

Grandson's Nanny is de Tapachula, Chiapas and tells me that she was frequently stopped by the Mexican La Migra and checked for citizenship living so close to the southern border.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Quote:
Originally posted by jeans

You won't be victimized by them, too.

Unfortunately Mindy San Diego PD does not support that statement.

The rampant corruption of SDPD including women being raped by officers in lieu of jail time is well documented.

I have heard those reports as well. I know that corruption exists everywhere. But, it is not accepted as a way of life with a resigned shrug of the shoulders in the US. There's more hope, rights and more recourses.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 10:01 AM
cisco and tapachula

HOLA, tapachula is 10/12 k's miles norh of the border itself and at the border there is also a river that they openly float stuff accross both ways and is funny to hang out and watch the goings on !!! It was a cool lesson in life to spend time there !!!! K&T:cool: Learning everyday !!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 10:04 AM

Quote:

Uh, could you provide us with your definition of "rampant" and some of this "well-documented" information that supports your claim that it is "rampant"?

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

Uh, could you provide us with your definition of "rampant" and some of this "well-documented" information that supports your claim that it is "rampant"?

"Rampant" means 'lot's of it' Hook.

You're going to have to get your own library card, I'm not going to take the time to provide all the references.

Look up San Diego's chief of police news conferences regarding how he is going to handle the "rampant" indiscretions of his force. UT even covered it, not just the Reader and others.

Another would be the "Las Colinas transportation system" which refers to the cop who was pulling over women DUI's and obtaining sexual favors in lieu of jail.

All very well documented, you will not have a difficult time finding this stuff. If you absolutely need help let me know and I will play librarian for you.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 10:59 AM

OK, I did find instances where two officers have been charged with sexual assault under the color of authority in 2011. Two too many, of course. I went back about 10 Google pages. There was one where an officer might have been involved, off duty.

Does this constitute rampant, i.e., "lots of it"? I guess that's a subjective call. Kind of a small chronological sample. How many years back was the previous ones? What percentage of ALL vehicle stops by the SDPD did this occur? Enough to deem it "rampant". I dont think so. It paints an improper picture of the SDPD as a whole; using two instances as indicating the practice is "rampant".

Besides, Jeans was talking about corruption/mordida as I read her, which is the norm in Mexican municipal police departments. That is indeed rare in the US.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
.....All very well documented, you will not have a difficult time finding this stuff. If you absolutely need help let me know and I will play librarian for you.

Cisco,

Please do!

Answer this honestly........What would be the outcome of a poll asking how many Nomads have been stopped by Baja police and asked to pay the "fine" right there? Same question for a stop by a LEO NOB.

Most here love Baja but are realists.

Ken

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 11:57 AM

Be interesting to know why Cisco has an ax to grind regarding law enforcement........:?:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Be interesting to know why Cisco has an ax to grind regarding law enforcement........:?:

Easier just to assume to know the true identity of Cisco. :light:
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 02:54 PM

I wish these constantly repeated posts comparing crime
in Baja to crime in large US Cities would be put to
rest. There is no point. Who, given the choice.
would position themselves in these US urban
crowded crime ridden places? There is crime,
generally of a random/opportunity type towards
tourists in Mex
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-24-2012 at 09:44 AM

Sancho, you know and I know it is more than a random action. There are innocent people killed, I have heard about innocent, family oriented hard working honest Mexicans who have family killed usually by someone looking for money in a severely depressed economy (i.e. Ron Hoff). After my 2 years of internship in Mexico, I am very wary about being down there. The cost of my apartment in Ensenada for $160 American dollars (two bedrooms and a patio, and close to downtown) however, beats a home base on the US Mainland for a few thousand a month in San Diego. Of course I enjoy the scenery and cuisine. It is still a risk however.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2012 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I am very wary about being down there. The cost of my apartment in Ensenada for $160 American dollars (two bedrooms and a patio, and close to downtown) It is still a risk however.

I tend to, rightly or wrongly, to look at crime in Mex
aimed at Gringo's as what concerns me, not to be
calus in any way, that's just the stat that would DIRECTLY
affect me. I don't see numbers of occurances involving
Gringo's that make me sit up. I'm getting to the
point that the apt. $ you quote, looks like I might
be living down the cuadra from you
saludos
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-24-2012 at 02:08 PM

ha ha bienvenidos!!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

puzzled.gif posted on 10-24-2012 at 03:50 PM
from Cisco's post

In America we kill 200 people daily with cars and guns.

Today 275 people will be a victim of gun violence in the good ol U.S. of A.

Which is it :?::?::?:

Bob Durrell

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.