BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Defibrillators: Let's get the first network in Baja
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 01:53 PM

You know what, all your ideas are good, and all count. The main thing is the brainstorming and thinking about how to get things accomplished.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 03:44 PM
A little knowledge

I just finished 6 hours dedicated to First Aider role and responsibilities, CPR, and AED use so now I am one of those dangerous people with a little knowledge. I did find out that there are AEDs on ambulances here in Canada and in most public places. I now know that there is not a word "deader" and basically when resorting to using an AED the causality is nonresponsive and not likely to survive without CPR. an AED and rapid transmittance to a hospital. So I think everyone is right about the issue.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. I love the theory of "EL Gran Delito"...sounds menacing, doesn't it? The Big Crime...trying to save a friend's or neighbor's life? All this mumbo jumbo about codigo Penal, or the Penal Code, but I have seen not one citation. And especially a Codigo Penal concerning AED's. Like you said though, I wouldn't want to even have a memory of where I was in a place and decided against trying to save a life because I was afraid that the police would pounce on me. I guess some could look themselves in the mirror and say, "I escaped being prosecuted by letting John Doe die as I watched." Maybe those people aren't worth having as friends now are they?

Just a quick question for the Doctora, Here in California we suffer one of the highest rates of lawsuits in the nation. People are sue crazy, which is why we all pay up the nose for insurance. Is Mexico as bad as California ? as far as ambulance chasing Lawyers ??

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
Is Mexico as bad as California ? as far as ambulance chasing Lawyers ??

Maybe worse. They quickly turn into predators when confronted with a soft target that has no clue about the law and that would be your average expat standing there with a smoking de-fib machine in his hands.
I really feel that there is too much USA mindset being injected into this issue. People are assuming US style logic and protections.....and they know better. They know full well there won't even be a judge in the same room to reason with.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 05:32 PM

The biggest topic and joke among Mexican physicians is how suit happy Americans are. The lawsuits never get anywhere in hospitals in Mexico, probably because of the attorneys' relationships with the political venue in each city. Also, who has a $20,000 retainer to pay an attorney and pay attorneys' fees in Mexico? Not too many people. The Ministerio Publico like someone mentioned, are usually grateful for attempts to save the person's life. If it's not a case of someone in a home and a robbery attempt in the making, they can't be bothered by trying to arrest someone for trying to help. They might be way underpaid, but that doesn't mean they are stupid. Most Mexican professionals are very bright, just jaded that any amount of hard work and intelligence are not sufficiently compensated monetarily.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 06:41 PM

"You are not going to fix these problems, David. You can medicate, get surgery, but there is an exponential rise of arteriosclerosis with increased age. Many expats are retirement age. You aren't going to fix that problem. You cannot "fix" heart disease. This is an over simplistic approach. We are all going to die. When and where we might have a chance to change with the right equipment available"

Ahem I must be getting old. Since when has PREVENTATIVE medicine been lumped together with TREATMENT? I have zero issue with having defibrillators available. I do have many issues with inadequate and incomplete medical care. Having had too many victims expire with myocardial infarction I am sensitive to the fact that most not merely some contributed to their own death. Due to neglect. Many victims could have survived in a normal life for many more years had they did. Three victims went into ventricular arrest when the paddles were charged and inches away from their chest. Four others were unconscious upon our arrival. First comes a flood of O2. if and when the heart goes back into sinus rhythm I want lots of O2 to get to that muscle. At the same time come the paddles (electrodes). Oxygen is the key. Get it concentrated and get the pump started again.

Defibrillation is not a "tune-up" it is a last gasp all or nothing dramatic event to try and prevent death. To assume it is a normal course of events in a human life is absurd. Like saying, Oh hell I don't need to drive defensively, I have the best body and fender man on the planet. Many treatable conditions make myocardial infarction MUCH MORE LIKELY. As a doctor you should know what they are. I am a lowly ex-EMT 2 and I know what they are. If a cardiologist told me I had a serious heart enlargement issue I would think hard and long about how and where I would entertain a process to stabilize it. Most people DO NOT CARE doctor. And they do not care to learn never mind take preventative measures. Why? Oh, it's the swallow a pill and everything is fine syndrome. Heart attack because of arteriosclerosis? No problemo hook them electrodes up so I can go fishing tomorrow. Blood pressure at 240/145? Gee maybe that salt thing is real.

Any defibrillation device should be hog tied to an O2 tank. Oxygen deprivation is serious stuff. The heart does not heal itself. Flood the victim with O2 and get them back into sinus rhythm ASAP was what I was taught and what I practiced.

The defibrillators are indeed important. But they are not a panacea. They are a vital part of the solution.

Good fortune in your quest. It is important.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 06:55 PM
I appreciate the input, David

David, I appreciate the input. However, anyone with serious health issues who chooses to stay in Mexico, especially in isolated areas without adequate medical treatment facilities, is taking a tremendous risk to begin with. You can take all the Lasix you have been prescribed, but eat a few days in a row of delicious salted cerviche, and overload and go into congestive heart failure. Guess what. I had patients that came to the clinic in Ensenada needing IV Furosemide, and it wasn't available, let alone clot busters for active MI's. So, there is always the balance in your mind about living your life and enjoying it, or getting an apartment right next to an ER in the US. Of course preventative medicine is important, I am not minimizing it. But Mexico is not going to do it for us David. We need to take the personal responsibility and try our best to make things better for us, and that means blood tests that you mention, other studies, EKG, Xrays, and follow up with a competent physician, and by that I mean a doctor who has studied and passed the United States Licensing Exam, the gold standard for physician excellence, that probably includes less than 1% of Mexican physicians, sadly.
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
"You are not going to fix these problems, David. You can medicate, get surgery, but there is an exponential rise of arteriosclerosis with increased age. Many expats are retirement age. You aren't going to fix that problem. You cannot "fix" heart disease. This is an over simplistic approach. We are all going to die. When and wwihere we might have a chance to change with the right equipment available"

Ahem I must be getting old. Since when has PREVENTATIVE medicine been lumped together with TREATMENT? I have zero issue with having defibrillators available. I do have many issues with inadequate and incomplete medical care. Having had too many victims expire with myocardial infarction I am sensitive to the fact that most not merely some contributed to their own death. Due to neglect. Many victims could have survived in a normal life for many more years had they did. Three victims went into ventricular arrest when the paddles were charged and inches away from their chest. Four others were unconscious upon our arrival. First comes a flood of O2. if and when the heart goes back into sinus rhythm I want lots of O2 to get to that muscle. At the same time come the paddles (electrodes). Oxygen is the key. Get it concentrated and get the pump started again.

Defibrillation is not a "tune-up" it is a last gasp all or nothing dramatic event to try and prevent death. To assume it is a normal course of events in a human life is absurd. Like saying, Oh hell I don't need to drive defensively, I have the best body and fender man on the planet. Many treatable conditions make myocardial infarction MUCH MORE LIKELY. As a doctor you should know what they are. I am a lowly ex-EMT 2 and I know what they are. If a cardiologist told me I had a serious heart enlargement issue I would think hard and long about how and where I would entertain a process to stabilize it. Most people DO NOT CARE doctor. And they do not care to learn never mind take preventative measures. Why? Oh, it's the swallow a pill and everything is fine syndrome. Heart attack because of arteriosclerosis? No problemo hook them electrodes up so I can go fishing tomorrow. Blood pressure at 240/145? Gee maybe that salt thing is real.

Any defibrillation device should be hog tied to an O2 tank. Oxygen deprivation is serious stuff. The heart does not heal itself. Flood the victim with O2 and get them back into sinus rhythm ASAP was what I was taught and what I practiced.

The defibrillators are indeed important. But they are not a panacea. They are a vital part of the solution.

Good fortune in your quest. It is important.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.