Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2nd scorpion in 2 nights
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:49 AM
2nd scorpion in 2 nights

I have no idea why I'm getting so many scorpions in the last month. I've killed more in the last month than in the last 3 years.
Last night and the night before I had a scorpion drop on me while reading in bed. I felt them hit me and swept them off PDQ before they had a chance to get peeed or move around.

I have been looking for the and have no idea where they're coming from. I have even searched them out with the black light after dark and sprayed with Home Defense. Enough is enough.

[Edited on 10-28-2012 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:54 AM

Home defense=size 11 boot!

grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 11:56 AM

Yikes, I wouldn't like that. Perhaps they are coming in now because the nights are cooling??? I'd definitely do some more Home Defense inside and outside the house. I usually go out at night with my black light and a can that looks like Raid, but has a scorpion on it...byw...worked great on the Black Widow we found in our garage :-(

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 01:52 PM

If you live in a palapa good luck. Commercial spraying is the only thing I've ever seen work.
If you live in a house, a scorpion can squeeze through an opening the size of a pea.

Spray insulation foam. Plug all the openings including Electrical tubing. Clip branches or scorpions will fall on your roof. Put latex door/floor scrapers on all outside doors.

In Michoacán my hens will walk a mile for a scorpion treat.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 01:54 PM

They LIKE you ... :):)

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Put latex door/floor scrapers on all outside doors.

otherwise known as a door sweep.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 03:02 PM

If you have them really bad, be sure to check between your sheets before crawling in bed.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 03:13 PM
Adopt Some Smart Cats

We did have problems with scorpions, but our three cats worked together to take them out.

They would do the hunting at night and I would find and clean up the carcasses in the morning.

Sadly, our cats have passed over the rainbow bridge, but our monthly visit from the fumigadora who sprays the house perimeter inside and out has prevented any more problems.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 03:20 PM
bugs & critters

Hola, years ago near lago chiapla,mex. a old lady told me a trick about taking your firepit ashes and spreading a thin line around your tent/car/house and the bugs will not cross the line !!! have been doing this for many years and it works !! ...K&T:cool:
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 04:02 PM

diatomaceous earth works the same way..just sprinkle a line around the house, or whatever you want to protect, and viola, no mas insectos!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 04:41 PM

THIS one Russ, doesn't look like the Desert Hairy...are they about 2" long max? See how long and skinny his tail is compared to the big ones? Ouch! Under the best of circumstances, part of the symptoms are psychedelic. :o

I've seen mosquito screen under the palapa over the bed. I never did that, but even with a tin roof, we'd still have one fall from the perlins now and then.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 06:17 PM

Well Russ , xeriscaping is the answer

Get a gallon of round-up and kill anything that needs to be watered. The hundreds of palm trees that have sprung up on shell beach in the last decade will ensure a healthy population of scorpions for years to come. Not to mention the hoards of bobos, jejenes and flies. Doesn't do much good to point this out to the inhabitants there as they all seem to think it's the next SouthBeach - in Spite of the recent water rate increases that everyone is b-tching about.:lol:Hah!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 06:36 PM

Russ,
Do you have bark scorpions there ?
This one looks suspiciously similar.
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Russ,
Do you have bark scorpions there ?
This one looks suspiciously similar.

From the UC Ag. and Nat. Resources website:
"The bark scorpion is found throughout Arizona, in the extreme southeastern portion of California near Arizona, and in southwestern New Mexico. In Mexico, the bark scorpion is found in Baja California Norte, Baja California Sur, and Sonora. Bark scorpions reach a length of 3 inches and have a very thin tail only 1/16 inch wide; the body is yellow without stripes or patterns. The bark scorpion is the only common climbing scorpion and does not normally burrow but usually lives above ground under tree bark and in palm trees and crevices of rocky cliffs. Because it can ascend slump block walls or stucco, this species is the scorpion most likely to enter dwellings. The bark scorpion is attracted to moisture around homes and in the house. It also may be found in stacked lumber or bricks, firewood piles, cellars, and attics. It needs only a crack of 1/16 inch to enter a home."
I've killed a few of these around my home in San Felipe.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:31 PM
Hi Russ

This goes without saying, check your underwear before you put them on.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:53 PM

sleep under a mosquito net. close it when you are in and out of bed. only thing that worked for me when I was in a palapa roofed house. having one drop on my pillow once was enough for me

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 07:18 AM
scorpions/castabelle

Russ they are out in force. Night I left for SD with Billy stepped on one in patio, lucky we were both head the same direction. Night I left for home with Carl almost stepped on a rattler going out to shutdown the propane. Be careful out there. Maybe too much water??
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly
This goes without saying, check your underwear before you put them on.

Who wears undies in baja?
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 10:00 AM

That looks like the type that stung me while I was sleeping in the trailer in BoLA - hurt for 3 days!
Bugman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 11:37 AM

Trying to plug up all the openings where they can get in is one of the best things you can do. These guys are super flat and normally would hide between rocks or under tree bark so slipping under a door or around a window screen is easy for them if those things don't fit tightly. With all the rain Baja got this year it will produce a bumper crop if insects and the scorpions feed on these so it will increase their numbers too. The water is great but there seems to be a price to be paid for everything!:cool:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.