Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: TJ crossing north today a mess
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2012 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown

Just wondering but what would be the financial brass ring for "private enterprise"? Would their profits be measured in how many cars and how fast? How happy the people were? The amount of terrorists caught? A percentage of the drugs found? I would LOVE some changes--dont get me wrong--but a profit incentive for moving people from one country to another safely?

Yeah, I am not sure what the reward would be, but I do know that San Ysidro has a budget that is very large, but there is no incentive to do things faster, no incentive to greet people in a warm and sincere manner, no customer satisfaction, and certainly no accountability.

One time at a Target store the lines really became very long and the store manager and several workers went along and handed out little goodies and apologized for the long delay. Only in my wildest imagination would I ever expect anything like that from a government employee.

But I suspect that if the government would have awarded a contract to a private company with annual review and criteria of effeciency and customer satisfaction, then the results might be a whole lot different.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2012 at 08:59 AM

The idea of farming out Homeland Security to private enterprise doesn't even sit well with me.
I'd rather see the borders militarized.
zoesterone
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2012 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Welcome to the USA, K-Mart Christmas shoppers.

Was the Sentri lane moving well, or was it a big hold up, too?

Dogs are not our whole life, but make our lives whole.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-13-2012 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
The idea of farming out Homeland Security to private enterprise doesn't even sit well with me.
I'd rather see the borders militarized.

I'm with you on that one.

And I don't get all the complaining about wait times. Get a SENTRI and be done with it.

BajaKurtis

[*] posted on 12-14-2012 at 11:21 PM

Dec 5th, Wednesday, 10:45am, North at Otay, took 3.5 hours.

The Ready Lane was moving fast, it was 2 lanes dumping into 7 open ready lane booths. We messed up and couldnt get over in time for the ready lane. BUT, we didn't even realize it was the ready lane. The line was way longer to start, but saw a few cars from earlier, moving a easily 3x the speed of us. Driving pas SY that morning looked super bad, hence trying Otay.

Our buddies, crossed the day before, Dec 4th, about 4pm, for a 4 hour wait, northbound at San Ysidro.

This is not a good sign that week days are taking this long...
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 12:06 AM

Yes. Not a good sign. Any reasons?
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 03:59 AM

2 weeks ago on Friday afternoon took me 3 hours, putting me in SD rush hour traffic....poor planning on my part.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I used to think that TSA was the most inept government group, but the Border Patrol must run a close second.

TSA is just our version of Mexico:lol:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 09:39 AM

around 1988 we took a van load of us newbie teachers to ensenada to do some collaborating with local teachers. on way back as we headed up that last grade before dropping into tj(along the fence)we hit a parking lot of traffic. thought perhaps it was just an accident and it would soon get rolloing again. quite some time later we crestd the top of that grade only to see the line of cars stretched out before us. it was a snake of autos all the way to the border. i didn't think it could get that bad-but it was...talk about a wasted day...
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 04:40 PM

Today I did my first crossing going south, into Mexico, at the new San Ysidro crossing. I sure wish the US Border Patrol would go to the same school and training that the new Mexican Aduana patrol has gone to. Our inspector was friendly but firm and explained what I could and could not bring. We had our car so loaded that I could not stick a hand between the roof and the junk. I was totally freaked out thinking that I might get unloaded and each individual item checked. The agent in charge was very cordial, welcomed me to Mexico (and actually made me believe that she meant it) and then had me pull into secondary. Before that we were greeted by numerous people showing me which lane to get into and smiling as they helped me get through the "Maze". Then she asked if I knew how to get south on the Playas road and showed me the sign and suggesting that I stay on the right hand side to make my turn.

We were both amazed at how it made us feel to enter Mexico. My guess is that they are getting the instructions and information from the top down and are instructed to do their job in an effecient manner but do it with a warm and friendly smile.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 04:49 PM

did they ding ya for anything you were bringing in?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 04:57 PM

I am on "the other side" (no, not deceased, in the USA). I crossed the Sentri on Thursday night to San Diego at 10:30 PM, and it was very smooth. I came across last night at around the same time and about 300 ft. up to the border were those concrete barriers placed in pairs all the way down the road so that it took up 2 or 3 lanes. On the right, there were 6 ft barriers so you could not see the tiendas or the pedestrian lanes, and a sign said pardon the inconvenience, it's for the improvement and the New Chapparal. I didn't remember the concrete barriers there on Thursday. It took about 20 minutes to pass the Sentri, whereas Thursday Night there was no wait. I don't understand why they are doing this now, there are no workers; maybe to discourage shoppers from crossing the border and shop local Mexico businesses. Who knows?
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 06:12 PM

I went through San Ysidro this evening (Sunday) @ 5:20 PM. Sentri lane had 6 lines open and I waited 12 minutes....:tumble:... Regular and pedestrian lanes were both 3 hours. Ready lane was 2 1/2 hours......:wow:... God, I love my Sentri pass....:yes:...;)...:yes:

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 06:26 PM

It is not. When I got mine renewed (I have had it over 10 years) a few years back, it was mostly Hispanics (Mexicans) and their families. I was given the third degree about my US paychecks, and I don't know how they verify income in Mexico for Mexican citizens, but they could have very easily contacted the hospital I worked for.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.