BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Underwater Volcano between Cabo and Mazatlan!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 08:49 AM
Underwater Volcano between Cabo and Mazatlan!

Go check out Baja Gringo's forum (TalkBaja.com) and read the two posts with links about the discovery of an active volcano over 7,000 feet below the water: http://talkbaja.com/showthread.php?t=6907

Very cool!:cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 08:53 AM
Thanks DK !!

I was wondering what those bubbles were out there !!!:P...PS..I'll being driving past Mbari in about 20 minutes or so...small world !!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 12-15-2012 by captkw]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 09:13 AM

Wow, only 60 miles from Cabo. Think I'll buy some property there so I can have a front row seat when it blows. :spingrin:

Bob Durrell
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Wow, only 60 miles from Cabo. Think I'll buy some property there so I can have a front row seat when it blows. :spingrin:

If I had some property in Cabo I think I would offer you a chance to buy it:lol:

bacquito
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Go check out Baja Gringo's forum (TalkBaja.com) and read the two posts with links about the discovery of an active volcano over 7,000 feet below the water: http://talkbaja.com/showthread.php?t=6907

Very cool!:cool:

Your right DK, very cool:light:

bacquito
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I was wondering what those bubbles were out there !!!:P...PS..I'll being driving past Mbari in about 20 minutes or so...small world !!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 12-15-2012 by captkw]

Where is Mbari?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 10:02 AM
Mbari

Smack dap in the middle of monterey bay .right on the coast (shoreline) at a place called moss landing..or halfway between santa cruz and monterey......K&T
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 10:11 AM

Okay... I like that area, sand dunes, etc. Thanks!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 10:23 AM

All I can say is "WOW". As a Geographer I find this "find" somewhat alarming---------our dynamic Earth, for sure (as I look out my window at Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta) I know how BajaGringo west of San Quintin must feel.

barry
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 02:25 PM

Could cause a really big wave someday.:o:o:o
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 02:58 PM

We've been having 6s just north of and close to La Paz lately and as far as I know, not a ripple. 7200 feet is pretty deep and it's my belief that the great pressure at that depth makes what happens when a rift rises or falls a very different thing than one in close/shallow water.
Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 04:22 PM

Osprey is on the right track. The pressure at the depth of the spreading center may mitigate and "Eruption"...

The fact that this particular molten magma seems to be highly evolved (ie high silica rather than silica depleted basaltic magma... implies that an island may be more likely to be formed.)...The situation is geochemically rare and needs careful study.

Remember, we are talking about sea floor conditions thousands of feet deep, very high pressure and low temperature conditions. This is NOT a Mount Saint Helens situation!

So relax, have another cold one and some yellowtail sashime and life will be good!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
If I had some property in Cabo I think I would offer you a chance to buy it:lol:

Do what the Mexicans do.......sell him some anyway.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geo_Skip
Osprey is on the right track. The pressure at the depth of the spreading center may mitigate and "Eruption"...

The fact that this particular molten magma seems to be highly evolved (ie high silica rather than silica depleted basaltic magma... implies that an island may be more likely to be formed.)...The situation is geochemically rare and needs careful study.

Remember, we are talking about sea floor conditions thousands of feet deep, very high pressure and low temperature conditions. This is NOT a Mount Saint Helens situation!

So relax, have another cold one and some yellowtail sashime and life will be good!

When can we expect the new island to surface?-----that would be REALLY cool!!! Skeeter could plant rattlesnakes and mesquite on it. (just kidding Skeet if you are watching)

Barry
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 10:30 AM

So, it's 165 ft. tall now and 7,800 ft. below the surface. I am not a geologist but would hazard a guess that one would have to wait for quite some time to see a good show.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 11:01 AM

id like to see whats swimming around this "high spot". the way down is this penn 32/0 spooled up with 2 miles of 130#.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 11:34 AM

Looks like my bait trolling outfit. I only put a mile on mine cause the mono stretch is not to be believed.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 03:55 PM

I like to remember Las Tres Virgenes is dormant not extinct. Look at lava flows and bombs located many miles distant from the mountains. Geologists have written papers suggesting the gulf slip/strike fault has caused several earthquakes in the range of 8.8 Richter. The innumerable hot springs are a tattletale that the area is quite active. The gulf fault is the Eastern boundary for the Pacific Rim of Fire.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 04:25 PM

That undersea volcano sure would make one helluva surfing wave!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.