Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just got back from Rosarito Beach
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 03:25 AM
Just got back from Rosarito Beach

I went down to drop a load at Mindy's home by Calafia on Wendsday, and BOY, the wind was CONSTANT, and STRONG, all night, then about 4AM, the clouds opened up to a solid rain. The wind settled down to absolute calm. About 8AM, all was quiet, just steady hard rain. About 9AM, out of NOWHERE, with no previous breeze at all, a tremendous blast of wind, sounding like a train was speeding by, a single gust, must have been at least 50-55 mph!
I was upstairs and all the balcony furniture was picked up like a tornado grabbed it. Only the glass sides prevented it from taking a long fllight.
After that blast, the rain stopped.That second. The wind never even moved a leaf after that single blast.
There is about a 20 story building that was half completed and as is common, money ran out and everything stopped about 4 years ago. The scafolding, about 6 of them, still hang on the sides, DIRECTLY over a house. A HUGE crane is still lashed to the side of the building, it's arm has been level and sticking out towards the sea for all of those years. At first light, the arm was pointing down. After that one hurricane blast, of wind, the arm was upright again and had swung comletely around to the right side of the building. If it had swung to the left, the arm would have taken out the whole sea facing side of the building. If it topples, it could take out Mindy's house. On one side scafolds to worry about falling, the crane also risking 3 houses. I'm dying to find out if anything will finally be done. About 11Am, the rain continued, pretty heavy for most of the day. I was to go home that day, but everythbing was so wet and muddy and cold, I stayed Thursday also, left on Friday about noon. I got to the border at 1:15, got up to the booth at 3:55PM . I forgot and missed an appointment at noon on Friday. Jeez, it's one appointment after another for me these days. Hense, my scarcity on the board. Any good threads I should check out? I just have time to check out my U2's, a quick scaMn, then off to do another meeting, or packing up to move, etc.
Oh, I almost forgot, this is interesting, I was preoccupied when I got to the border booth and had forgotten to pull out my passport. I was tearing through my glove box and the two guys just smiled and said, "What's your last name? birthdate?" and that was it. I even offered my drivers lics., he didn't want to see it. He just wished me a Merry Christmas. With all the talk about people worrying about losing a passport, or forgetting it, it certainly was no problem for these guys to look me up PDQ. :bounce:

Soludos and hugs,
M
PS
Dr. Drip,
I'm so sorry you missed my post/blurb that I could not make the book signing. I can't even remember why I couldn't make it. You can bet though, it must have been damn important for me to miss catching up with you and some other amigos. I'll be SO happy when I can finally get everything done.

Looking for new adventures now; Always...
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by M
Oh, I almost forgot, this is interesting, I was preoccupied when I got to the border booth and had forgotten to pull out my passport. I was tearing through my glove box and the two guys just smiled and said, "What's your last name? birthdate?" and that was it. I even offered my drivers lics., he didn't want to see it. He just wished me a Merry Christmas. With all the talk about people worrying about losing a passport, or forgetting it, it certainly was no problem for these guys to look me up PDQ. :bounce:

Don't forget, Border patrol pretty much knows who you are already, before you get to their booth.

The cameras going southbound just before crossing into Mexico record your vehicle/license plate number. Cross reference this with your state vehicle registration and they know who the registered owner is. If you, as the owner, are driving they already have your name.

Coming northbound, more cameras just before the booth, record the vehicle information again.

A second camera, the one at eye level with the red-faceted angular lense, is a facial recognition camera. If you have come through the border before and presented photo ID, the agent confirms your ID with the camera image and you are in their records forever.

So, for repeat travelers, they already know who you are....
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 07:41 AM

It must feel sooooo good to be making progress toward your future
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 07:58 AM

"It must feel sooooo good to be making progress toward your future "

For M as she makes "progress toward" her "future"

" the agent confirms your ID with the camera image and you are in their records forever."

For us as the government makes "progress toward" our "future".

It feels soooooo good.
zoesterone
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by M
I went down to drop a load at Mindy's home by Calafia on Wendsday, and BOY, the wind was CONSTANT, and STRONG, all night, then about 4AM, the clouds opened up to a solid rain. The wind settled down to absolute calm. About 8AM, all was quiet, just steady hard rain. About 9AM, out of NOWHERE, with no previous breeze at all, a tremendous blast of wind, sounding like a train was speeding by, a single gust, must have been at least 50-55 mph!
I was upstairs and all the balcony furniture was picked up like a tornado grabbed it. Only the glass sides prevented it from taking a long fllight.
After that blast, the rain stopped.That second. The wind never even moved a leaf after that single blast.
There is about a 20 story building that was half completed and as is common, money ran out and everything stopped about 4 years ago. The scafolding, about 6 of them, still hang on the sides, DIRECTLY over a house. A HUGE crane is still lashed to the side of the building, it's arm has been level and sticking out towards the sea for all of those years. At first light, the arm was pointing down. After that one hurricane blast, of wind, the arm was upright again and had swung comletely around to the right side of the building. If it had swung to the left, the arm would have taken out the whole sea facing side of the building. If it topples, it could take out Mindy's house. On one side scafolds to worry about falling, the crane also risking 3 houses. I'm dying to find out if anything will finally be done. About 11Am, the rain continued, pretty heavy for most of the day. I was to go home that day, but everythbing was so wet and muddy and cold, I stayed Thursday also, left on Friday about noon. I got to the border at 1:15, got up to the booth at 3:55PM . I forgot and missed an appointment at noon on Friday. Jeez, it's one appointment after another for me these days. Hense, my scarcity on the board. Any good threads I should check out? I just have time to check out my U2's, a quick scaMn, then off to do another meeting, or packing up to move, etc.

Soludos and hugs,
M
PS
Dr. Drip,
I'm so sorry you missed my post/blurb that I could not make the book signing. I can't even remember why I couldn't make it. You can bet though, it must have been damn important for me to miss catching up with you and some other amigos. I'll be SO happy when I can finally get everything done.

I know exactly which place you are talking about. When my daughter saw that building on a recent visit, she said when she was coming down here over ten years ago, it was in the same condition. that is really weird as those cranes are NOT cheap. One day, something is going to happen and that is a very scary thought. I am pet sitting in Calafia right now, and today ...finally..no wind, mild day and clearing skies. '-)

Dogs are not our whole life, but make our lives whole.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 10:36 AM

Merry Christmas Feather!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 10:44 AM

did you give javi's paradise a little business?
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:05 PM
Who? What? Where?

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
did you give javi's paradise a little business?

I don't know where or what that is. Details?
Usually, When I make a run down there, I'm just dropping a load into Mindy and her Mom's garage, then right back home again.
David has laid claim to all the furnishings, so, I'm left with the little crap that I can handle. I traded the 18 year old fridge, the 14 year old washer dryer and the entertainment center he did leave me, for my share of the property taxes. He was going to get them anyway since I had no way to haul them down there anyway. So, I did sort of make out a bit on that deal, much as he hated the way I played it out/ AH well, about 4-5 more trips to go, by then the house will be sold and I can start looking for my place in the Rosarito area.
I'm going to have to turn back to the dealer, my 'Birthday, anniversary present' My new van. David took my paid for Avalon and left me with payments I simply can't afford anymore. I need some advice on another van, so, I will start a new thread with advise for another, 'Baja Grunt van'.

Hugs,
M

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.