Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Liability Insurance Not Mandatory in Mexico [?]
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2012 at 09:55 AM

I have my insurance through a local San Felipe agency. Everyone I know around the area speaks highly of their service, and handling of situations. Sometimes it's better to deal Mexican and not USA. I buy coverage by the year, so I don't worry about coverage on each trip south.

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-21-2012 at 11:11 AM

There are plenty of insurance options out there to suit everyone's needs and comfort level. At the very least, get a liability policy that includes legal aid! I was traveling with a friend in a caravan and a local ran right out in front of his truck, sending the local flying and badly injured. After calling in the incident to the insurance company, we spent time in Ensenada with the Federales (who were very professional to work with) and as soon as the adjuster arrived, he called for an attorney to represent my friend. A few hours later after going in front of the Ministerio Publico my friend was free to go, as the local was found to be at fault. Having that lawyer there for my friend made the process a whole lot smoother. The local did survive the incident, but was very lucky that it was not worse.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2012 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
he called for an attorney to represent my friend

Geoff, is my understanding correct that Gringo to Gringo
incident in Mex, that the at fault party can be sued
in a US setting? My worst fear is that no one would
answer the 800 # in Mex to get a hold of your Mex Ins
Co.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-21-2012 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I don't know anyone who doesn't buy at least liability coverage.

Dennis,
I do....he's a rich friend who is the cheapest SOB I ever met :biggrin:.....also refuses to pay the tourist card fee of $25....

Don't believe everything you think....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2012 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I don't know anyone who doesn't buy at least liability coverage.

Dennis,
I do....he's a rich friend who is the cheapest SOB I ever met :biggrin:.....also refuses to pay the tourist card fee of $25....

GEEEE.... who could that be? :lol:
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-21-2012 at 02:08 PM

Hello Sancho,

The answer to your question is much better suited for a lawyer here in the U.S. to answer. People can try sue you for whatever they want...whether it holds up in court is another story.

All of the insurance companies that we represent have claims centers that are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a week. When my friend had his accident, we reported it around 8PM on a Sunday. The adjuster was there shortly after and the lawyer got there at 10PM and stayed with my friend at the Ministerio Publico until he went in front of the judge and was released at 1AM.

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
he called for an attorney to represent my friend

Geoff, is my understanding correct that Gringo to Gringo
incident in Mex, that the at fault party can be sued
in a US setting? My worst fear is that no one would
answer the 800 # in Mex to get a hold of your Mex Ins
Co.

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 10:10 AM

Sancho- I had an accident in Baja Sur (an 18 wheeler took off a mirror in a motorhome.) I had Mexican insurance that I bought through BajaBound. The instructions on the policy as to where and how to call were excellent. I had no problem reaching the company. The company was professional and other than trying to explain where in Mexico I was actually located the process went smoothly. (Not their fault.) Even though I was not near a major city an adjuster came to the scene and explained that I could get the repairs done in Mexico or the US. I received a follow up call from the insurance company when I was out of cell service area. When I returned the call (again from Mexico) I found it easy to get to the correct department etc.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Sancho- I had an accident in Baja Sur (an 18 wheeler took off a mirror in a motorhome.) I had Mexican insurance that I bought through BajaBound. The instructions on the policy as to where and how to call were excellent. I had no problem reaching the company. The company was professional and other than trying to explain where in Mexico I was actually located the process went smoothly. (Not their fault.) Even though I was not near a major city an adjuster came to the scene and explained that I could get the repairs done in Mexico or the US. I received a follow up call from the insurance company when I was out of cell service area. When I returned the call (again from Mexico) I found it easy to get to the correct department etc.

Wonderful News! Viva BajaBound.com!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
i had similar experience with my MAPFRE liabilty omly policy. I went to La Fonda restraunt to eat and was directed into a parking space between two cars by the guard. He kept motioning me to pull forward until the front bumper on my honkin big Yukon hit the front fender on the little car on my left. Used a cell phone to call MAPRE's 800 number and their adjuster drove down from TJ in about 30 minutes. Took care of everything on the spot and I went back to enjoying my meal.

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 02:22 PM

One of those typical counterpoint articles that finds a crack, drives a 15 pound wedge in it and then shouts "LOOK! IT'S DEFECTIVE!"

In a serious accident CASH is the only instrument that will keep the drivers out of prison.

When serious injury or property damage is involved OR if one of the participants has connections (A TelMex truck, the military, the son of the governor, or a rich man's brother in law) things go to hell fast.

The gringo has no way to contact an attorney. LIABILITY COVERAGE IS FREAKIN' NOT ENOUGH! Insurance companies can take weeks to months settling a serious claim. The average cost of damage for each death today is above twenty five thousand dollars.

There will be giant traffic and administrative fines to settle. A lawyer is needed to say "NO!" to tacked on charges.

How can one single person do all this while in protective custody?

They cannot. What do his on scene passengers do, of his has some or if he ends up in the hospital. hitch hike or call taxis? "Oye taxiista, conoces un abogoado muy listo?"

The only answer is to carry trusted insurance with a legal assistance clause. Someone who can show up, cut a check for however many thousands of dollars is needed to free the driver, wrangle with the ministerio publico, and the other driver.

Some folks decide not to take this seriously or even believe it at all. Mexico via the ministerio publico is a hell of a lot different than Mexico via Roberto the bartender or blanket salesman on the beach. I intend to avoid the ministerio publico. I have seen too many badges and too much blood from automobile accidents from others to stay ignorant.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
The only answer is to carry trusted insurance with a legal assistance clause. Someone who can show up, cut a check for however many thousands of dollars is needed to free the driver, wrangle with the ministerio publico, and the other driver.

Almost all liability policies - if not all - include bail bond and legal assistance.

It is interesting that both Bajabound and Discoverbaja are brokering same 2 companies - ACE and HDI, though Discoverbaja doesn't tell the cost, except for $120 annual policy (including DB membership). BB annual liability starts from $180.

It is sometimes not clear how much legal assistance will be covered, but there are limits to bail bond amount (see below from the BB website).

"Legal Assistance is available 24 hours a day and includes legal defense and bail bond.

Limits

ACE Seguros - Coverage amount for bail bond is up to $30,000. Legal defense is covered as necessary.

HDI Seguros - Coverage amount will be the same as the limit of liability stated on your policy. For example, if you choose a policy with $100,000 in liability, your bail bond and legal defense limit is $100,000.

Mapfre Seguros - Coverage amount for all legal assistance and bail bond services is $30,000 total when the legal services are requested from Mapfre Seguros. If services are not requested from Mapfre, coverage limits are significantly lower."

So the Mapfre (somebody mentioned it) has somewhat law legal coverage - unless Mex lawyers are really cheap.

[Edited on 12-23-2012 by Alm]
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:13 PM

Mexican liability insurance - the short version.

Reputable Mexican Insurance company - Seguros Atlas for example. 150.00 dolares cada ano.

They give you a nice laminated card with policy and 800 number on it. It also has the obligatory blue stamp. Maximum coverage as demanded by government.

Issued to the driver, not car specific. I would hate to be in an accident without it.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:18 PM

With a club membership then a group rate discount is possible. Discover Baja is a club that sells insurance . BajaBound is not a club that you must join first. However, the Baja Good Life Club offers BajaBound annual discount policies that make the pricing competitive with Discover Baja. Just so we all have the data to shop with.

I am a member of both clubs and they both have email newsletters on Baja news. I like Discover Baja because they have an office in San Diego we can go to and get books, maps, assistance.

[Edited on 12-23-2012 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:27 PM
Bajabound

Also has a substantial discount if you and your vehicle(s) are enrolled in the SENTRI program

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:47 PM

people who save hundreds of dollars with geico are really happy.
how happy are they?
happier than bajaguy bragging about his SENTRI pass!! :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2012 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
people who save hundreds of dollars with geico are really happy.
how happy are they?
happier than bajaguy bragging about his SENTRI pass!! :lol:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.