BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia Asuncion Little Known Store
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-20-2012 at 02:06 PM
Bahia Asuncion Little Known Store

Not many folks know about the warehouse behind the Miramar market on the calle principal (Benito Juarez) on the side opposite the bay. The owner has turned the space into a housewares department. An eclectic assortment of cookware, electronics, and old fashioned country store type assortment makes getting stuff in this remote outpost a lot easier. Go to the Miramar market, then work your way over to the parallel street behind it. The warehouse has no sign as of yet but look for a huge roll up door.

As an added feature the owner will dispense 1,000 pesos from the point of sale cash register in the market (not the warehouse) for a 4% commission. A currency transaction fee is put on top of that. Sounds punitive but the nearest ATM is 73 miles distant in Vizcaino at the BanComer and it doesn't always work. The cash ATM deal requires no purchase. A fast way to get eighty dollars worth of pesos. Beats running out of gas, or enduring several dozens of miles of potholes.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-20-2012 at 04:50 PM

that warehouse space is alot of fun to wander around in...some good deals too. We got a fantastic big ceiling fan for 500 pesos! and they have used clothes too...nice curtain rods and a ton of stuff.

what was the currency transaction fee? good to know about another bank machine but is that just for mexican bank cards or credit cards too?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2012 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
that warehouse space is alot of fun to wander around in...

Kinda like a stroll through Bejing, I would imagine. :lol:
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-20-2012 at 05:10 PM

USA ATM cards bearing the VISA logo can be used both for shopping and for obtaining cash. If the system goes down or there is a power outage then of course the transaction cannot be completed.

IMHO what a godsend this service is. It reduces the heretofore absolute requirement to reach Vizcaino in order to extract money out of a US or Canadian bank. I griped about the machine being out of order in BanComer Vizcaino several times forcing a person to continue on to Guerrero Negro. Even in my miserly tiny car a round trip cost 300+ pesos.

Eduardo and Vanesa run the warehouse and they are the friendliest merchants a person will ever encounter. I had a new (cheap model) coffeemaker not work right and Eduardo instantly made things more than right. They are investing almost all income into expanding the inventory. That business is going places also IMHO.

DENNIS: "A stroll through Wal-Mart downtown San Diego" would also fit.

[Edited on 12-21-2012 by DavidE]

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-20-2012 at 06:32 PM

I was curious about the store, David.
Driven by it several times, but now I'll stop by tomorrow!

Gracias for the tip!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2012 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
DENNIS: "A stroll through Wal-Mart downtown San Diego" would also fit.

True as true can be, David. China has invaded the world with an army of crappy blenders and toasters.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 11:37 AM

And TIRES Dennis!

Exploding Firestone's, BF Goodrich, and Goodyears, amongst many others. I've written Feinstein and Boxer , both, asking for legislation requiring to emboss in English not code, the country of manufacture. Fat chance, right?

At least in Mexico I can still find stuff made in Mexico. The Mabe appliances and other apparatus like fans are pure junk, but a person can still new cast-iron hand cranked "mills" used primarily for grinding corn for masa. Three hundred pesos. I do not grind corn for tortilla dough but I do grind coffee beans. The bright red mills are honest-to-god burr grind mills. Not even in the same solar system as those bullet-shape "grinder" machines and pseudo burr mills that massacre a poor coffee bean. I can not believe the improvement in flavor that my genuine burr mill gives a good coffee bean. Compare it to fresh ground pepper to powder that comes out of a box.

Eduardo and I are planning to get genuine LPG infrared heaters for our casas. Thermostat controlled, with a pilot. No more getting up to a stone cold casa. In the winter. No electricity needed. With a little common sense, a standard LPG tank lasts for months. No vent needed. And these critters will heat a medium size casa from 45 degrees to 65 degrees in under an hour. I've used these things inside RV's and a converted bus, and they are safe. I've placed a pair of CO alarms a foot to either side of these heaters and had the things going full blast for days and days. No alarm. Take the alarms anywhere near a running car and instant "Shriek!" Run a hose from the LPG tank to the heater, connect, turn the valve, press the piezo lighter and it's done. One heater = (5) 1,500 watt heaters

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 02:03 PM
grinder/coffee mill

Quote:
And TIRES Dennis!

Exploding Firestone's, BF Goodrich, and Goodyears, amongst many others. I've written Feinstein and Boxer , both, asking for legislation requiring to emboss in English not code, the country of manufacture. Fat chance, right?

At least in Mexico I can still find stuff made in Mexico. The Mabe appliances and other apparatus like fans are pure junk, but a person can still new cast-iron hand cranked "mills" used primarily for grinding corn for masa. Three hundred pesos. I do not grind corn for tortilla dough but I do grind coffee beans. The bright red mills are honest-to-god burr grind mills. Not even in the same solar system as those bullet-shape "grinder" machines and pseudo burr mills that massacre a poor coffee bean. I can not believe the improvement in flavor that my genuine burr mill gives a good coffee bean. Compare it to fresh ground pepper to powder that comes out of a box.

Eduardo and I are planning to get genuine LPG infrared heaters for our casas. Thermostat controlled, with a pilot. No more getting up to a stone cold casa. In the winter. No electricity needed. With a little common sense, a standard LPG tank lasts for months. No vent needed. And these critters will heat a medium size casa from 45 degrees to 65 degrees in under an hour. I've used these things inside RV's and a converted bus, and they are safe. I've placed a pair of CO alarms a foot to either side of these heaters and had the things going full blast for days and days. No alarm. Take the alarms anywhere near a running car and instant "Shriek!" Run a hose from the LPG tank to the heater, connect, turn the valve, press the piezo lighter and it's done. One heater = (5) 1,500 watt heaters

Is it possible to put a picture of this corn/ coffee grinder you use?

I hear the whales song
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 02:27 PM

Burr Grinders....

Good for coffee beans...not so good a grind for French Press (Bodum) coffee pots as much as drip type....also burr can fill up with oily dark roast beans....keep a small toothbrush available for burr cleaning.

Cafe, si....con crema, por favor :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 03:05 PM

This critter is MEXICAN! Meant to be taken apart with the fingers (wing nuts) exposing both plates in 10-seconds flat. Same for the screw feeder. The CONSISTENCY of the adjustable grind of this mill is incredible. It can pulverize beans to the consistency of cigar ash if you wish. I wouldn't trade mine for a hundred much more expensive electric gore-met coffee mills.

About 10-pounds of cast iron and heat treated mills. They are not lightweight. This things screams "Old-Fashioned" top quality. After all, they had to convince housewives to part with their stone mano y metate for grinding masa.

If, and what dreaming this is, "Appalachian Home Farm" crafts stores get their hands on one, they're going to charge a hundred bucks for it, if not more.

It needs to be clamped to a stout counter top so it isn't something that a person would want to drag out every day.

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 03:40 PM
This it?

grinder.jpg - 11kB
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:51 PM

I walked into a hardware/feed store in VALLADOLID the other day and found the Estralla corn/coffee grinder for $250 Pesos new in the case...

I hear the whales song
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 09:46 AM

That's is indeed "IT"!

I've used hundred and fifty dollar " gourmet burr grinders" that do not produce as fine, even grind that this critter does.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 09:55 AM

We have a CUISINART Coffee Pot that you put the Beans in and set the timer it comes on ond grinds the Beans and when we get up we have a FRESHHHHHHH cup of Coffee.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 11:10 AM

Now, if I can find an -affordable- roaster that can process 4 oz of beans at a time I would have it made. In Michoacan I have a huge horno de barro para pan, that I fitted a peanut roasting cage into, hand cranked and using guisaxche firewood I turn out one hell of a dark roast. My neighbors laugh with glee when I pull the sheet metal door aside and use an infrarojo thermometer gun to establish precise temperatures via a register flue that plays preheated air right onto the basket.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Now, if I can find an -affordable- roaster that can process 4 oz of beans at a time I would have it made. In Michoacan I have a huge horno de barro para pan, that I fitted a peanut roasting cage into, hand cranked and using guisaxche firewood I turn out one hell of a dark roast. My neighbors laugh with glee when I pull the sheet metal door aside and use an infrarojo thermometer gun to establish precise temperatures via a register flue that plays preheated air right onto the basket.
I have been told that hot air popcorn poppers work well.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 01:37 PM

I picked up an air popper at a segunda...but lo and behold the inferior mexican popcorn wont pop in them....you need fancy dancy merican popcorn.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I picked up an air popper at a segunda...but lo and behold the inferior mexican popcorn wont pop in them....you need fancy dancy merican popcorn.
Maybe you could pass it on to DavidE for roasting coffee.:bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.