Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sleep apnea testing in Ensenada
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 12:50 PM
Sleep apnea testing in Ensenada

Well, another great ending to a nightmare situation.

We could NOT get Les scheduled for a sleep apnea test in the States for months. Since we are LA BOCANA full timers, with no residence north of the border......our time North is normally only once a year at Christmas time, and we were at a loss as to how to handle this.

That was when I posted info requests here and thank goodness, EnsenadaDr. gave some leads which we took up. Thanks,doctora, from el fondo de mi corazon.

Dr. Fernando OrtizSanchez is an older gent, who speaks English and was very accomodating. He did keep us waiting once we arrived, but the waiting room was jam packed with sickees, so I forgive him. Les has not so big patience and maybe harbors some irritation still LOL

The doc was excellent and after examining Les, gave us directions to the hospital and a request for one night's testing. That very night, not months ahead ! Les arrived at 9 and the doc arrived at 9:30. A nurse observed all night.

I have no pics, I did not go to the hospital (CARDIOMED) with him, but I can affirm that Les loved it- he said the hospital was first class. Fantastic. Excellent.

His results were emailed to us the next day and he does indeed have moderate sleep apnea. THE REPORT SAYS HE SNORED 1500 TIMES IN THE 7 HOURS HE SLEPT THERE.

No wonder I am so tired every morning !!

:lol::lol::lol:

In case anyone needs el Dr.Fernando

646 178-3193 office
located right near the touristy section of Ensenada at:
Avenida Obregon 851 between 8 and 9th streets
right after the park
cell phone: 646 171-7279

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 12:54 PM

cost BTW 3,000 pesos. Includes everything except the machine which must be bought in the States - and is called a C-Pap.

There are different kinds and if anyone can give first hand accounts as to which machine they use and why, I wd appreciate it.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 02:02 PM

CPAP is continuous positive airway pressure, vs. IPAP or EPAP, which are Inspiratory Positive airway pressure or expiratory positive airway pressure. Doctors use the different machines for different conditions, and you can google it. Anymore questions, feel free to ask. BTW that lunch looked great at Hotel Cortez...I will have to try it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 02:20 PM

The VA wants to test me for Apnea, only because they want to test for everything under the sun and the procedure is....an appointment to explain the method.....then send me home with the machine....and return it in the morning. No observor involved.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 02:38 PM

This is definitely a case of insisting on staying overnight, this is not an easy trip back and forth subsequent days from Punta Banda.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
The VA wants to test me for Apnea, only because they want to test for everything under the sun and the procedure is....an appointment to explain the method.....then send me home with the machine....and return it in the morning. No observor involved.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
This is definitely a case of insisting on staying overnight, this is not an easy trip back and forth subsequent days from Punta Banda.[quote

I wouldn't think of going home til it was over. I'll let them put me up at the Hilton.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 07:52 PM

For my analysis, I just wore the machine for a night and it keeps all the records necessary to determine the degree of apnea. No attendant necessary. The miserable torture device wasn't in my future, as I was required to keep it on for at least 4 hours per night for 30 days to qualify for Medicare. The machine keeps records of this too. I watched, from my point of view, as the local Medicare approved provider of the cpap equipment did EVERYTHING they could possibly do to pad their bill to the taxpayers. This is one place where simple honesty would do wonders for our healthcare costs.

I'm claustrophobic so trying to sleep with something constantly huffing in my nose, dripping condensation, and humming like a generator in the next campsite, made it easier to just lose 40 pounds. :lol::lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 08:58 PM

muchas gracias Blanca....I so hope to be able to use this info and get a test done for you know who

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2012 at 11:57 PM

Not sure how well this process will work for you long distance unless you get lucky the first time. I've gone back several times to the sleep center to change out masks. I'm on my 3rd one now because although the first 2 have provided benefit they discovered that they leak air and so there is room for improvement.

Then on another trip they had to recalibrate the air pressure. For me it's been lots of trail and error to get everything set up properly. I'm going to try a different mask tonight.

Good luck to both you and Shari.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-31-2012 at 12:02 AM

Another thought Blanca. Have the Ensenada Doctor refer you to someone closer who does this type of thing for adjustments.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2012 at 10:30 AM

well, Les says the new machines are double the price at $1000 but they are fully automatic. Which means they calibrate themselves ??

This newbie is not sure about needing various masks (they are making one to size for Les's nose) but I don't mind going to Ensenada and eating filet mignon at all .... and if we need to get more masks, Ill also get to meet new folks at the gas station in El Rosario.

Come visit La Bocana

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-31-2012 at 10:52 AM

You have to get a good fit on the mask. That is essential. Most of the patients I attended to as a nurse were very sick with COPD, and needed the machines to flush out the carbon dioxide in their system. The masks can be uncomfortable. In the hospital, the respiratory therapists would try to adjust the masks for comfort, they have to be tight enough to get the machine to trigger itself. The adjustment of the mask is not automatic. The mask can leave red marks around the nose and chin. Once the machine has a tight enough fit, the machine will automatically go on when you take a breath, and will trigger. It is pretty simple once you learn how to do it. How far are you from Ensenada?
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2012 at 11:05 AM

the trips involved in getting the mask adjusted would be tricky as both blanca and I are about 10 hours from Ensenada..but a great excuse to see my grandson and daughter!!!

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-31-2012 at 11:46 AM

Gals, how many times have I told you to make sure you have a local doctor just in case? Now get a reference for that Doctor, Blanca, just in case!! In the meantime you can come to Ensenada whenever you like to eat filet mignon.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2012 at 02:08 PM

We have a hospital and clinic here and IMSS insurance....I was wondering if our insurance might cover a referral from the doctor here for a sleep test there?

BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2012 at 05:16 PM

I just bought a top of the line cpap machine for $800. They told me I could find it cheaper online but with a shorter warranty. This machine comes with a heated water tank to keep your air passages hydrated. They said it is way more sensitive than the older ones, but I still needed to have the air pressure turned down a little at the sleep clinic.

As for the mask-you can adjust them yourself to make the seal tighter when you figure out which style works best for you. They have many different kinds to choose from.

Once all of that is sorted out you can take the computer chip out of the cpap and they can put it into their computer and print out all of the statistics on how exactly it is working for you. From that info more adjustments can be made.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 11:47 AM

great great info bajaDixon, thanks.

EnsenadaDr. - we can surely get the local doc here to help out but I guess he has never even seen one of these machines. we live in a very very remote fishing village that thas the local clinic (like shari mentioned) but nothing sophisticated. no matter what - either we drive 10 hours south to la paz doctors or 10 hours north to ensenada doctors. those are our choices. filet mignon is my choice, with la paz interspersed for variety.

Come visit La Bocana

mirko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 11:58 PM

This does not directly answer your question but I hope it helps.

I was diagnosed with OSA around 25 years ago at a facility in Anaheim. I have since had two or three other sleep studies done at the St. Jude facility in Fullerton, CA. IN those days, it was more thorough and complicated. One night to be diagnosed and another night to have the machine adjusted to the proper pressure. When I slept the second night with the machine, I could not believe how much better I felt in the AM. It truly changed my life and I have not taken it off my face when I sleep since then. I even put it on to take a nap. I encourage you to get treatment. It does not work that well for every one, by the way. I was lucky that it essentially cured me. Yes, sleeping with a mask on my face is a PITA but I don't feel hung over all day anymore. I could be dead by now, too, without the CPAP machine. It's a good thing.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.