Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: and the wetsuits are here ! UPDATE wih projects 3/27/13
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2013 at 09:59 PM

Wow Blanca, I just looked through the art again and there is so much great stuff. Great job!!!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
so, after quite a while of being away on grandababy visiting trips etc. It is time again to post the goodies being handed out ... thanks go to John McFrog and wife Kathy, who brought wetsuits and pens and pencils and even a surfboard !!

so, here are some of the projects over the last couple weeks: this one used crayons / pencils to express their version of cubism (Picasso) - for each artist, we discuss his life and accomplishments so as to combine English and art:

Bajablanca,

Yissel even drew in a "catch light" in the eye. Did you teach the student that?

Great stuff!

Ken

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
so, after quite a while of being away on grandababy visiting trips etc. It is time again to post the goodies being handed out ... thanks go to John McFrog and wife Kathy, who brought wetsuits and pens and pencils and even a surfboard !!

so, here are some of the projects over the last couple weeks: this one used crayons / pencils to express their version of cubism (Picasso) - for each artist, we discuss his life and accomplishments so as to combine English and art:

This was their version of Rene Magritte and surrealism:

and this was another Picasso day where they learned about collages:

and I made brownies and offered a party for all those who had an A average overall in every subject:

One of those trophies is for Pedro, a 9th grader, who got FIRST place in all of Baja Sur in a written test on English - math - Science. Boy, was I ever pleased !

And this has to be the most fun of all ... handling out pencils and pens and crayons when they have an exceptionally good cooperative and productive day:

For some reason, I can't get the last 2 photos to load, but you get the picture, right ? Thanks everyone, my gratitude is eternal for your help.

Ohhh I for got to mention that the honor roll students got to put their names in a hat and 2 lucky winners in each class was to receive a wetsuit! I left early for semana santa vacation, so I have no photos .....

and McFez - I requested that your donated wetsuit for Eduardo be GIVEN to him and his family on report card day. He was the one who started the whole wetsuit gig and he begged me every day for one - I had told him to get an A average overall, and he did !! I swear, the kid drove me bonkers with his begging.

I will most likely be giving the skimboards/surfboard as prizes in 2 months when they have the next report card day.
Wow, I love the turtle1
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 08:47 AM

BajaBlanca......
The students look happy as a DavidK :-)

The classroom is super clean...the kids are all smiles....their English is really great.....and the artwork will be worth millions some day :-) The teacher...............I am giving you a loud and prolonged applause for being a great person. You got five gold stars on your forehead.

Later this year....I will look for used wetsuits and other beach stuff/classroom needs.....and get it down to the kids.

Perhaps it has been done already and I missed it....I sure would love to see that the whole school looks like.

Quote:

One of those trophies is for Pedro, a 9th grader, who got FIRST place in all of Baja Sur in a written test on English - math - Science. Boy, was I ever pleased !

And this has to be the most fun of all ... handling out pencils and pens and crayons when they have an exceptionally good cooperative and productive day:

For some reason, I can't get the last 2 photos to load, but you get the picture, right ? Thanks everyone, my gratitude is eternal for your help.

Ohhh I for got to mention that the honor roll students got to put their names in a hat and 2 lucky winners in each class was to receive a wetsuit! I left early for semana santa vacation, so I have no photos .....

and McFez - I requested that your donated wetsuit for Eduardo be GIVEN to him and his family on report card day. He was the one who started the whole wetsuit gig and he begged me every day for one - I had told him to get an A average overall, and he did !! I swear, the kid drove me bonkers with his begging.

I will most likely be giving the skimboards/surfboard as prizes in 2 months when they have the next report card day.

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 10:16 AM

hi Ken, believe it or not, I have zero artistic ability, the eye Yissel made is really nice, she is a star student.

My goal ... I just really like the idea of having the kids create and I try to have them transfer info from another subject. For the collages the kids were asked to create a Mathematical shape (circle, triangle etc.).

A fun moment was when I asked them to write the name of a world-famous person on a piece of paper and one yelled out "Picasso" ! That was another very proud teacher moment. One month ago, none of them knew who Picasso was.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 10:26 AM

McFez - you guys are the stars....really. I love n need classroom stuff. white board markers, crayons, magazines, pens, pencils and individual pencil sharpeners. And maybe you all have some other ideas of creative items the kids will love.

I would not be able to make smiles and reach for the stars without your help.

IMO, Bahia Asuncion is a great place to donate wetsuits because they have an up and running, longterm surfers club. The older ones can teach the littler ones how to surf. They are aware of how important it is to preserve the beaches and this is vital around these parts. Hope you agree, McFez.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 06:57 PM

Great kids, glad to help. You are the Power!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 04:04 PM

Just about every yard sale I go to in the OC, there is a wet suit for sale for next to nothing.

I'll be in BA late June and early July. There are a few dozen wet suits I'll bring down to Shari's place.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 06:28 PM

Blanca, thanks for photos and updates. Students look happy and engaged.

And Congrats on feedback from ESL students; it is my favorite topic to teach. I'll try to get more books.

Lori

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.