Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Q & A for Importing your Car
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 04:31 PM
Q & A for Importing your Car

Note: These Q &A are for mainland Mexico and I don't think they apply to Baja (yet). Note that per Q #13 Vehicles made in Japan CAN NOT BE IMPORTED:
Aduana CUSTOMS Q & A

1.We have 2 cars here with current US license plates. Will they continue to be legal?
Tenemos 2 autos aquí con placas de los EE.UU. al día, continuaran siendo legales?
Continúan siendo legal por el periodo del permiso de importación temporal, si aplica su calidad migratoria a residente temporal o permanente, el vehículo tiene que retornar al extranjero y aplicar una importación definitiva si el vehículo cumple con los requisitos para tal importación.
They are legal as long as your temporary importation permit (180 days) is legal. If you have changed your immigration status to temporary or permanent resident your vehicle must return to its country of origin. You must apply for a definitive importation if your vehicle qualifies.

2. Will legalizing each vehicle be a requirement if we chose permanent residency?
Sera necesario legalizar mi vehículo si obtengo la residencia permanente?
Si tendrá que hacer una importación definitiva.
Yes, a definitive importation will be in order.

3. Will we be able to legalize a vehicle that has a lien on it by a US bank?
Podemos legalizar un vehículo en México que tiene una orden de embargo por parte de un banco en los EE.UU.?
De acuerdo a la RCGMCE 4.2.7. Fracción VI párrafo I. No se podrán importar.
NO, according to the following article in the law: RCGMCE 4.2.7. Fraction VI paragraph I.

4. How will it work to legalize a vehicle that is less than ten years old?
Como se puede importar temporalmente un vehículo cuyo modelo es mas reciente que 10 años.
Para la importación temporal no importa el modelo año del vehículo.
Para la importación definitiva según el TLCAN este año aplica para vehículos originarios usados, provenientes de USA y CANADA que tengan por lo menos 6 años de antigüedad (Contactar A.A.)
For temporary importation the year of the vehicle does not matter. For a permanent importation according to this year’s NAFTA regulations the vehicle must be at least 6 years old (please contact your customs authorities)

5. Can I bring personal possessions including art work (but excluding electronics) across the border without paying duty on a one time basis?
Puedo traer posesiones personales incluyendo obras de arte (pero excluyendo artículos electrónicos) por la frontera sin pagar impuestos por una sola ocasión?
Aplica hacer un menaje de casa (61, F VII, L.A.), tiene que tramitarlo en el Consulado mexicano más cercano a su localidad, no tiene costo, pueden obtener información en las páginas de www.aduanas.gob.mx y www.sat.gob.mx Cualquier artículo se considera mercancía y puede ser objeto de impuestos si excede su equipaje de uso personal y franquicia.
You must apply for a transportation of household goods permit at your nearest Mexican Consulate, it is free of charge. Please refer to the following websites for more information: www.aduanas.gob.mx and www.sat.gob.mx Bear in mind that any article is considered merchandise and may be subject to duties if it exceeds personal use items or you customs exceptions.

6. Where in Puerto Vallarta can I get the correct forms to notify Aduana of the change from FMM to temporal residence status? What is the process for completing the Aduana notification and permission to keep my car in Mexico for the length of my temporary residence? What information is required to be provided for the change? How long is the process expected to take?
Donde puedo conseguir en Vallarta los formatos para notificar a Aduanas mi cambio de turista a residente temporal? Cuál es el proceso para esta notificación, que información se requiere presentar y cuanto dura el proceso de notificación?
El formato lo puede obtener en la Sección Aduanera De Puerto Vallarta, ubicada en el Aeropuerto internacional Gustavo Díaz Ordaz “sala de llegadas internacionales”, además en la página de internet de aduanas www.aduanas.gob.mx.
La Prorroga, Ampliación o Refrendo, no aplica para Residentes temporales o Permanentes. (Se puede recibir pero eso no indica que se autoriza)
Formats can be obtained at the local Customs Section at PV International Airport – International Arrivals exit, as well as in www.aduanas.gob.mx
Renewal, extensions or re-applications are no longer accepted for temporary or permanent residents. The customs authority will receive notifications but that will not mean they will be authorized.

7. I just renewed my FM3 for 3 more years. What do I need to do to keep my truck here legally?
Acabo de renovar mi tarjeta de residente temporal por 3 años más, que necesito hacer para mantener mi camioneta aquí legalmente?
El INM no expide más FM3, debido al cambio de las calidades migratorias: Visitantes, Residentes Temporales o Permanentes. Si aplico a una calidad migratoria de Residente Temporal o Permanente no podrá tener su vehículo en el país tendrá que retornarlo, al extranjero y realizar una importación definitiva si el vehículo cumple con los requisitos para la importación definitiva.
If you have the immigration conditions of permanent or temporary resident, you will no longer be able to legally keep your vehicle in Mexico. You may apply for permanent importation of your vehicle if it meets the requirements.

8. What years of cars can be imported at this time? Where can you have the importation of your car done? Do you have to drive to the border or can you have it done here in PV?
Que modelos/años de carros se pueden importar a Mexico actualmente? En donde se realiza dicho trámite, se requiere llevar el vehículo a la frontera o se puede hacer aquí localmente?
Para la importación definitiva tendrá que contactar un Agente Aduanal, en las frontera norte del país o en alguna marítima, si el vehículo fue introducido al país por esa aduana Manzanillo o Cancún. Vehículos con una antigüedad de 6 años.
You must always contact a registered customs agent for any permanent importation at the northern border or maritime terminal if the vehicle came by sea into Manzanillo or Cancun. Currently only vehicles that are 6 years old can be permanently imported.

9.We drove our 2007 jeep to Mexico December 2012. It has an ownership and plates good to 2014. My husband now has an FM3. Is there any way to get the deposit back that we had to pay at the border. We did go and get a form last year and forwarded it to Mexico City when he got his FM3. If we eventually nationalize the plates will it be returnable or just write it off?
Tengo un carro aquí legalmente bajo mi documento migratorio. Hay alguna manera de recuperar el depósito que se dejo en la frontera? Hicimos la notificación a Aduanas el año pasado de la renovación. Si eventualmente importamos el carro permanentemente será regresado el depósito, o lo consideramos perdido?
El Depósito en Garantía solos e puede recuperar en la frontera norte por donde se introdujo el vehículo y tendrá que hacer la cancelación del permiso temporal al momento de retornarlo al extranjero, en ese momento procede el reembolso del deposito; después de haber realizado el retorno aplicara la importación definitiva, Contactar El Agente Aduanal.
The guarantee deposit can only be recovered at the same border module where it was paid. You must cancel the temporary permit (before the 180 day period expires) before the reimbursement can be approved. After the deposit is reimbursed you may apply for permanent importation if your vehicle qualifies.

10. Please explain the relationship between the new immigration categories and the ability to operate foreign plated vehicles. Many folks have obtained their ‘FM2/3′ for the purposes of leaving and operating their foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. Will this continue? What happens to this relationship after someone has maxed out on their time in a ‘temporary resident’ status?
Favor de explicar la nueva relación entre las nuevas condiciones migratorias y la habilidad de importar vehículos temporalmente o permanentemente a Mexico. Qué pasa con un vehículo cuando alguien ha agotado el máximo de renovaciones en una residencia temporal?
Por el momento solo los visitantes puede tener un vehículo temporalmente en el país por 6 meses o 180 días con entradas múltiples por el periodo de un año a partir de la primera entrada, si es residente permanente tiene que hacer una importación definitiva, para resientes Temporales la situación es la misma por el momento.
At this moment only visitors on tourist visas can temporarily import vehicles for a maximum period of 6 months or 180 days with multiple entries within a 1 year period. The only option for temporary or permanent residents at this moment is a permanent importation.

11. If one has a foreign plated car in Mexico attached to a tourist visa which is good for 180 days, is it possible to fly out of Mexico to the states for a short visit during that 180 day period leaving the car in Mexico until the original 180 day period expires?
Si alguien tiene un permiso de turista e importación temporal de un vehículo por 180 días, se puede dejar el vehículo en Mexico y regresarlo antes de que veza el plazo? Planeamos regresar a Canadá por avión 1 semana y queremos dejar el vehículo en Mexico antes de regresarlo en el verano.
Si puede hacerlo, porque el vehículo esta legal en el país por 6 meses, si el turista regresa a su país por avión, deberá regresar a México antes de que expire el permiso de importación temporal del vehículo y retornarlo al extranjero.
Yes you may because the vehicle is legal in Mexico for 6 months. You must make sure you come back in time to drive back to the border before the vehicle’s permit expires.

12. Will there be a grace period for long time Mexican residents who are US citizens to import their cars that are older than 2007?
Bajo las nuevas regulaciones, habrá un periodo de amnistía para residentes de Mexico cuyos vehículos son modelos anteriores al 2007?
No se dan periodos de gracia. Artículo 5o.- Las disposiciones fiscales que establezcan cargas a los particulares y las que señalan excepciones a las mismas, así como las que fijan las infracciones y sanciones, son de aplicación estricta.
Sorry, no grace periods allowed in accordance to the 5th article of the Mexican Customs Law.

13. Will my vehicle with a VIN starting with “J” be treated differently than other vehicles?
Qué diferencia hace el hecho de que el numero de serie de mi vehiculo comienze con la letra “J”?
Ley Importación Definitiva de Vehículos Usados, y esta importación se realiza al amparo del Tratado de Libre Comercio de América del Norte, por lo que solo se pueden importar vehículos que hayan sido fabricados en Estados Unidos o Canadá, es decir vehículos que tienen Numero de serie (VIN o NIV) comenzando por numero 1,2,3,4 y 5 únicamente. Desafortunadamente tu auto comienza su serie con letra J, es decir, hecho en Japón, con el que actualmente no tenemos Tratado de Libre Comercio.
The Mexican Law of Permanent Importation of Used Vehicles is drafted under the provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), therefore only vehicles made in the US or Canada can be imported. These vehicles have serial numbers (VIN or NIV) that begin with a number 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 only. Unfortunately your car’s serial begins with a “J” which means it was made in Japan. Mexico does not currently have any trade agreements with that country.

14. Can we permanently import our vehicle in Manzanillo?
Podemos hacer una importación permanente de vehículos en Manzanillo?
Si el vehículo llego al país por esa aduana si y dependiendo de las características que debe de cumplir para la importación definitiva.
Yes, only if the vehicle entered Mexico first through that port and by sea. For instance, a vehicle cannot be driven from the border to Manzanillo and apply for permanent Importation

Bob Durrell
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 07:34 PM

Interesting stuff. Quite selfexplaining.
On that # 13, I imported a Suzukie Sidekick without any problems. Guess it was made in Canada, Ontario.

[Edited on 2-21-2013 by Leo]

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 08:16 PM

Thanks for the information. I have a 2001 Tundra, made in the USA that has some body damage (left rear panel). I guess I must register the truck when I go for my permanent resident permit. Does the body damage pose a problem?

bacquito
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 09:46 AM

This is not good news..
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 10:32 AM

Folks are complaining that a Mexican consulate in the USA must initiate the process for anything other than FMM 180-day status. Be prepared to bring paperwork proving your income is $2,000 USD per month or more guaranteed (the source will be verified by the consulate).

The last I heard the vehicle importation was limited to motor vehicles exactly 10 years in age. Not 9 or 11, exactly 10. Someone roared it cost them four thousand dollars to import a 2003 car in 2013. Then you have to go see about getting license plates. The importation can only be done through an agent at the "frontera" nowhere else. Make sure the agent is authorized before forking over cash. Reports of phony agents especially around Nuevo Laredo.

Since gobernacion became computerized, they have undergone frenzies of regulatory orgasm. It's going to get worse. Much worse.

-Hope this helps

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 11:15 AM

Might be time to sell the US plated vehicle in USA and get a Mexican drivers license and buy a replacement vehicle in Baja.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 04:54 PM

Please provide citation for the answer to item 10 below.

Quote:
DurelllRobert
Item 10
Question: Please explain the relationship between the new immigration categories and the ability to operate foreign plated vehicles.

Answer: At this moment only visitors on tourist visas can temporarily import vehicles for a maximum period of 6 months or 180 days with multiple entries within a 1 year period. The only option for temporary or permanent residents at this moment is a permanent importation.

This is a pivotal point. I am hoping that the answer provided above is incorrect and that Temporary permits for used vehicles are actually available to holders of the current "Inmigrante" card. I believe that holders of the "Inmigrante" card are considered "Residente Temporal" in terms of the "Condition of Stay" designation and that such "Inmigrante" can be turned into the official "Residente Temporal" at the next renewal date. The Residente Temporal is good for a temporary stay in Baja for 180 days to 4 years. That's pretty temporary I would say.

Apparently, it is possible to apply for a Temporary Import Permit for a used vehicle online at the Banjercito website. Before you actually enter the site to apply, there is a page with a long drop down text box with extensive info. After one reading of it, I saw no indication or anything that is specifically consistent that an "Inmigrante" card holder or an FM2 holder would be denied a Temporary Permit; actually, quite the contrary in my view.

My take on the matter so far is absolutely not definitive. I need to see "current official literature" for more certainty. I'm still looking.

So far as I can tell, a Temporary Permit for a used vehicle is certainly available for vehicles either older than 10 years or some that are newer. "Definitive Import" is altogether different.

[Edited on 2-22-2013 by MitchMan]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Please provide citation for the answer to item 10 below.

Quote:
DurelllRobert
Item 10
Question: Please explain the relationship between the new immigration categories and the ability to operate foreign plated vehicles.

Answer: At this moment only visitors on tourist visas can temporarily import vehicles for a maximum period of 6 months or 180 days with multiple entries within a 1 year period. The only option for temporary or permanent residents at this moment is a permanent importation.

This is a pivotal point. I am hoping that the answer provided above is incorrect and that Temporary permits for used vehicles are actually available to holders of the current "Inmigrante" card. I believe that holders of the "Inmigrante" card are considered "Residente Temporal" in terms of the "Condition of Stay" designation and that such "Inmigrante" can be turned into the official "Residente Temporal" at the next renewal date. The Residente Temporal is good for a temporary stay in Baja for 180 days to 4 years. That's pretty temporary I would say.

Apparently, it is possible to apply for a Temporary Import Permit for a used vehicle online at the Banjercito website. Before you actually enter the site to apply, there is a page with a long drop down text box with extensive info. After one reading of it, I saw no indication or anything that is specifically consistent that an "Inmigrante" card holder or an FM2 holder would be denied a Temporary Permit; actually, quite the contrary in my view.

My take on the matter so far is absolutely not definitive. I need to see "current official literature" for more certainty. I'm still looking.

So far as I can tell, a Temporary Permit for a used vehicle is certainly available for vehicles either older than 10 years or some that are newer. "Definitive Import" is altogether different.

Thesanswers were provided by MX Customs personnel at a meeting on February 20 in Puerto Vallarta. That's all I know. Here is FaceBook link:
http://www.pvrpv.com/blog/immigration-vehicle-importation-fa...

[Edited on 2-22-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 05:57 PM

Thanks, Bob.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 05:58 PM

Even when I had an FM-3 in the 1970's I was subject to infraccion for driving a truck with extraneous plates. You can bet six enchiladas with sauce that an FM-2 type migracion permit isn't allowed a TIP. I certainly am not.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 06:13 PM

Anybody know if any of the above applies to the Baja peninsula? I have seen several things (though not necessarily authoritative on their own) that said that neither the Temporary Import nor the Definitive Importation apply to Baja.

For example, on Bajabound's Web Page:
http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/vehicle.php

NO VEHICLE IMPORT PERMIT IS NECESSARY TO DRIVE IN THE ENTIRE BAJA PENINSULA OR ROCKY POINT.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Anybody know if any of the above applies to the Baja peninsula? I have seen several things (though not necessarily authoritative on their own) that said that neither the Temporary Import nor the Definitive Importation apply to Baja.

NO VEHICLE IMPORT PERMIT IS NECESSARY TO DRIVE IN THE ENTIRE BAJA PENINSULA OR ROCKY POINT.

I remember reading that all of Baja and northern Sonora, if you entered MX through Nogales, were excempt.For now anyway.

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

I remember reading that all of Baja and northern Sonora, if you entered MX through Nogales, were excempt.For now anyway.

Here's the exact wording:

Actualmente las únicas excepciones a los requisitos son para viajes a la Península de Baja California y el estado de Sonora, y solo para vehículos entrando por el puerto de entrada de Nogales.

Currently the only exceptions to the requirements are for travel to Baja California and Sonora, and only for vehicles entering through the Nogales port of entry.

Bob Durrell
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 11:05 PM

Not to challenge the veracity of what is being reported, but, the following statement doesn't make reasonable/logical sense:
"Currently the only exceptions to the requirements are for travel to Baja California and Sonora, and only for vehicles entering through the Nogales port of entry."

If a vehcle were to enter through Nogales on its way to let's say La Paz, there would be no sticker nor any evidence of a permit in, on, or off the vehicle in La Paz. ACtually, there would be no evidence of the existance of any permit anywhere. How is that distinguishable from a vehicle that enters say, at San Ysidro on its way to La Paz while never having obtained a permit of any kind? Either way, through Nogales or through San Ysidro, there would be no permit for the vehicle. And, whether the vehicle came through Nogales or through San Ysidro, there would be no documentation distinguishing which one came in legally without the permit pursuant to or consistent with the above-mentioned quoted statement.

It's like a disease with no symptoms. The logic is too poor for me to buy the credibility of the above quoted statement. Doesn't mean it isn't true, just that I am very skeptical and I will keep searching until I come upon official authoritative on point pertinent documentation expressly stating something definitive, either way.

Verbal quotes from a human or even an agency representative is not technically authoritative, legally.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 11:21 PM

I think it's just a grammatically unclear translation from Spanish. I think what they intend to say is more like, "Currently the only exceptions to the requirements are for travel to Baja California, and IN SONORA ONLY FOR VEHICLES ENTERING THROUGH THE NOGALES PORT."

This could get to be very significant. A number of San Carlos residents live in eastern AZ and NM and TX and they use the Naco port. Mexico could get strict about this and force them to import. The alternative would be to add some significant miles to the drive by going all the way to Nogales.

This is BAD NEWS for anyone living on the mainland south of Sonora.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 01:17 PM

Brief article on insights to car importation controversy..very enlightenng:

http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/current-a...
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 01:23 PM

Caborca, Mex 2, does not issue SOLO SONORA permits only TIP's (Temporary Imprt Permit).

Aduana is "discussing" the "need" to raise cash deposit amounts even higher.

Mexico mostly desires 100,000 dollar annual incomes retirees, and fly-in tourists to blow ten grand in a week in Cancun and then get the hell out. This is not as unrealistically sarcastic as it sounds on the surface.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 12:29 PM
A new point of view

http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/current-a...

Current Aduana Car Import Rules Made Obsolete by INM’s New Residency Categories

There have been tons of rumors, suppositions and misinformation flying around on expat forums and expat blogs about what people think are the current Aduana rules for temporarily imported foreign-plated cars, a.k.a “TIP” (Temporary Import Permit) cars.

Here at Yucalandia, we like facts supported by the official rules and laws. Using that basis, let’s evaluate what is written in the current law and official rules:

First: There are no Aduana rules or law that specifically cover how to issue or renew Permisos de Importación Temporal de Vehículos for foreigners with either Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente IMN residency permits. ~ Zip / Zero / Nada ~

In the absence of any published law or rules, each local Aduana office is currently doing what they think makes sense - likely as decided by their local director.

Second: The information recently presented by a few local Aduana personnel at Nuevo Vallarta meeting was NOT OFFICIAL , nor does it apply nationwide. If we read their 2 powerpoint presentations carefully, we find a number of factual errors, because they are NOT official nor legally-binding documents. They are instead just informal non-legal presentations to try to help the local gringos understand how Nuevo Vallarta agents are temporarily choosing to handle foreign-plate cars for gringos with the new INM Residency permits. The Nuevo Vallarta powerpoint Aduana presentation was effectively JUST A SET of PROPOSALS , because there have been NO NEW OFFICIAL written policies or rules promulgated out of Aduana in D.F.
Local offices of Aduana are given broad discretion and wide latitude in how they apply policies. In the absence of any new national policy: The Nuevo Vallarta Aduana personnel are fully allowed to apply overly stringent local policies, while Puerto Vallarta Aduana personnel (who are approving some TIP extensions) are fully allowed to grant very liberal local policies.

Third: All gringos whose INM permits have not expired, must really WAIT until there are formal policies/rules or a law written and approved by Aduana D.F. The current Ley Aduanero uses out-dated, obsolete, legal terminology ( “No Inmigrante” or “FM3″ and “Inmigrante” or “FM2″ and “Inmigrado“) ~ so, the old Aduana law terminology no longer fits the new INM residency permits and INM’s legal terminology. This leaves Aduana’s local offices with NO clear detailed legal guidelines on vehicle Temporary Import Permits (TIPs) – so they are just TEMPORARILY making things up as they go.

Does Mexico Really Plan to Allow Residente Temporal and Permanente Residents to Only have Mexican Plated Cars?
Many gringos are trying to use individual local Adana personnel actions as evidence to make logical sense of the national policies of 2 very different and very separate Mex. Gob. agencies. There is no official information on what Aduana has planned for us. These problems were created by INM dramatically changing the numbers and kinds and names of residency permits - which made Aduana’s written rules … obsolete, because there is Zip / Zero / Nada equivalency between the old INM FM2, FM3, & Inmigrado permits versus the new INM Residente Temporal & Residente Permanente permits.

INM has very different needs and different agendas than Aduana. There appears to be almost ZERO/zip/nada coordination between INM’s changing to new policies (creating totally new immigration categories), and Aduana. The problems INM has caused to existing Aduana policies, makes it clear that they did not coordinate policies with some intent to screw expats. INM issued their new law in May 2011, and then issued totally new policies on Nov. 9, 2012. In the meantime, Aduana has issued ZERO/zip/nada official adjustments to Aduana policies to accommodate the new INM rules => no coordination => no evidence of any plan => no evidence of any intent.
Some gringos are imagining that Aduana is ” saying that the only cars they want legally in their country those cars that have a Mexican plate ” . There is Zip/Zero/Nada official information to confirm this.

Really, we all must wait to see exactly what Aduana’s official national policy will be.

Aduana may allow our foreign-plated vehicles … or they may not…
In the meantime, we only have various, individual, non-binding proposals being made by a few local Aduana offices.

History of How this Mess Evolved:

INM’s FM3 and Aduana’s TIP program were originally created in response to a 1990′s Mex. Gob. effort to support the growth of maquiladoras/factories in Mexico to take advantage of NAFTA. Aduana was told to create a permit that allowed American and Canadian manufacturing managers and experts to move to Mexico temporarily, and live and work in Mexico temporarily … temporarily bringing-in their foreign-plated cars. The intent was a TIP with no final hard-and-fast expiration date, but instead to create a flexible permit for business men and experts to come to Mexico – work a while – and return back to Canada or the USA.

After the TIP was created, (and the FM3), lots of US and Canadian retirees decided to use these temporary-businessman programs for their own purposes: coming into Mexico to live effectively as permanent residents – often with NO intent to permanently return to the USA or Canada – and certainly not intending to return their cars to the USA or Canada. The gringo retirees did this by filing for temporary residency and temporary auto import permits in Mexico, even though their effective intent was to permanently leave the cars in Mexico.

The Mexican systems were not designed for how the Americans and Canadians used them. “Temporary” permits were intended to be temporary, for businessmen to come and go easily , but because the Mex. Gob. did not anticipate the gringo retirees’ unintended usages when writing the FM3 and TIP rules, the rules were basically later used by gringo retirees as loopholes to avoid becoming permanent residents – and used by gringos as loopholes to avoid paying duties to bring in the cars for what they really use as permanent importation.

The facts? Gringos wanted to bring their cars into Mexico and basically not ever take them out, without paying the import duties. Pay Zero/Zip/Nada in import duties. Pay Zero/Zip/Nada in annual permit fees. Pay Zero/Zip/Nada in annual registration fees nor getting plates. Pay Zero/Zip/Nada in taxes - all while liberally using the Mexican roads and services … all for free. Free => A word gringos treasure..

Should we blame Mex. officials from later trying to clean up the mess of 10,000′s of gringos who came into Mexico and stayed here using their vehicles for free, free from unrestricted by pesky registrations, free from even reasonable import duties, free from getting new license plates, – all by simply using loop-holes in Mexican policy designed for truly temporary businessmen and manufacturing experts?

What are we left with now?: Unfortunately, Mexican government policies change only very slowly, and since INM policy changes made Aduana TIP policies obsolete: Aduana is taking a while to try to formulate a new policy. It is difficult to create a new policy where Canadians and Americans who really come here as permanent residents can be shifted to actually allow their cars to be here for long periods (effectively permanent imports) - and to stop scooting through the loophole of basically free temporary auto permits.

Canada and the US do not allow Mexicans to import their cars into Canada and the USA, and keep them there for free, especially Mexicans who want to live there more than 6 months or a year.

I am left asking: Why should Mexico offer something that the USA and Canada (and pretty much all other countries) prohibit?

Why should individual Americans and Canadians in Mexico, expect much free services and free usage of the roads, and expect more liberal treatment from the Mexican Gob., than they offer Mexicans who are guests in the USA and Canada?

Unfortunately, all governments change their policies and rules over time – and the rest of us are left to figure out what to choose from the resulting options.

We have to wait until Aduana actually publishes something official.
Let’s all hope that Aduana comes out soon with official policies that work.
Happy Trails, steve

Bob Durrell

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.