BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Freakin' Unbelievable!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 11:00 AM
Freakin' Unbelievable!

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/50582822#50582822

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 11:08 AM

Impressive... not good news for EKG techs perhaps?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 11:14 AM

Wow. I liked his quote at the end. "We have to seize the data." Carpe datum?

Amazing what will come, and amazing what is already here in medicine. And as the costs come down for diagnostic devices, we will see more and more of that kind of stuff down here in Mexico.

Thanks for posting this link David.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 11:45 AM

I saw this last week and have mentioned it to two of my doctors. They say they are already aware of it. This is a marvelous technological breakthrough!

However, as long as there are profits in our healthcare system, any savings will be sucked up by the status quo medical system.

While I am happy that Obamacare will benefit so many people who were heretofore shut out of accessibility to affordable healthcare, Obama's plan is still a givaway to the Insurance and Big Pharma industries. Hospitals are gouging us too, at an obscene rate! :fire:

It is only a Single Payer system that will bring costs down. But our bought and paid for politicians and our duped, ill informed public (as you will soon see by the response to this post) will impede any movement towards abandoning our wasteful medical system.

The following link documents where the United States stands in comparison with the rest of the world. The statistics are shocking!
Unacceptable!

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2012/10/health-costs-how...
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 12:31 PM

Dick Tracy's wrist radio was unthinkable in it's time. Now we have something better than the "tricorder" that Bones in Star Trek had, and it's in everyone's pocket. Now if they could just get a handle on the earthquake and astroid thingies. :!:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 12:42 PM

I can't see how any thinking-person could be against what Dr. Topol is bringing to the fore-front--------this is incredibly valuable stuff, and this is the first time I have heard of it.

Is there a down side??? Of course there is---there almost always is (lost jobs in this case), but the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages IMO.

This might even convince me that I need a smart-phone, let alone a "cell phone" (neither of which I have now).

Wonderful post, and wonderful info. Many thanks DavidE.

Barry
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

This might even convince me that I need a smart-phone, let alone a "cell phone" (neither of which I have now).

Barry

That makes two of us Barry.:biggrin::biggrin:
May have to break down and get one of those gadgets after all.:no::no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

That makes two of us Barry.:biggrin::biggrin:
May have to break down and get one of those gadgets after all.:no::no:

Yes, thanks DavidE that's good information.

On a side note. At the suggestion of our granddaughter a few years ago I purchased a first-generation Droid and Verizon's 2-yr contract. We were already Verizon customers. Before the end of the contract I switched back to my "Dumb" phone (okay by Verizon to do that, but original contract remained in place).

I found that the "Smart" phone was ruining my life. Waaaayyy too much control and interference to my retirement.

I was without the Droid for a little over a year and returned to the "Smarty-pants". I had become so used to the conveniences that I overlooked the constant interruptions.

Now that I have one again, I'm sure that I'll keep it, but I have learned how to limit the interruptions and prevent unnecessary aps from creeping in. They (the aps) are insidious and if one is careless will run up the monthly costs geometrically.

Allen R
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 05:25 PM

Feel Dumb about smart phones?

Relax! You haven't met "The King"!

Analog mind in a digital world, is my only very weak excuse.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Feel Dumb about smart phones?

Relax! You haven't met "The King"!

Analog mind in a digital world, is my only very weak excuse.

You stole that from George Castanza.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2013 at 09:41 PM

mindboggling information. thanks so much for sharing.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 09:58 AM

Actually, it's been around for a while. A friend who had a pacemaker used to just make a phone call to have it checked - even from a foreign country; somehow it was analyzed with the phone call. The next thing is for people who have specified conditions be able to buy the app for themselves, be educated on analyzing the readouts, and save themselves big dollars at the Doctor's office. I heard on CNBC's Greed in America (in a story about a sinus doctor who performed needless surgeries and billed for them) that billions in medical care is wasted or fraudulently billed. It's time the medical profession changed. More access might just mean self-help via digital devices. Over-medication is another issue - need reform there too.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 01:28 PM

All this technology. Marvelous!

Just think, it won't be long before we can give ourselves, or friends, a colonoscopy without leaving the comforts of a Baja beach.:biggrin:

Allen R
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
All this technology. Marvelous!

Just think, it won't be long before we can give ourselves, or friends, a colonoscopy without leaving the comforts of a Baja beach.:biggrin:

Allen R

Good idea for a party! Have all your friends watch it on TV, live. :lol:
How do you choose who gets to play doctor? Oh, I can guess that Margarita will assist.:D Maybe you could "phone it in". :o

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.